Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #1

For those with a Sightseer, is there an easy way to access the instrument panel? I see a few screws but don't want to loosen anything up unless that's the proper way to access that area.

Specifically, the cigarette lighter / 12v power is loose and needs to be tightened but I don't want to take things apart only to find out there is an easy way to access that area.

Thank you,
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #2

For those with a Sightseer, is there an easy way to access the instrument panel? I see a few screws but don't want to loosen anything up unless that's the proper way to access that area.

Specifically, the cigarette lighter / 12v power is loose and needs to be tightened but I don't want to take things apart only to find out there is an easy way to access that area.

Thank you,
Old 09-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On my 2001 you grab the bottom on the insturment cluster and pull up. It's hinged at the back and the front held down with velco. I assume yours is pretty much the same.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Onb my Sightseer the 2 "pods" are removable with the 3 Phillips head screws on each. Then you can reach the Cig Lighter from the top.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

on our 2004 it's the same as rvcarpenters very easy to open.

Retired 22 years
teeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

on my '03...grab the front bottom and open it like the hood of your car. i have a short piece of dowel that i use to keep it proped open when changing the oil
Old 09-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #7

Thanks to rvcarpenter, teeman and rick_od;

My Sightseer dash is exactly like yours. Of course, when I tried to 'pull' up on the dash, it didn't seem to want to 'lift', so I convinced myself that all the dash screws did have to be removed... WRONG! As stated by forum members, all I had to do was lift.

Good news though: while I only wanted access to tighten the cigarette lighter, I learned two things.

1. I now know where one more fuse panel is.

2. The factory stereo has two RCA input jacks; maybe I can hook up an iPod after all. My Sightseer rides so rough that listening to the CD player on all but the smoothest roads is frustrating since it 'skips' so much.

I'll check with my audio expert (10 year old son) and see if the iPod will work; hundreds of hours of music and no CD skip would be great.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I am guessing that your dash and mine are vastly different I don't see how mine would hinge up at all.

Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
I am guessing that your dash and mine are vastly different I don't see how mine would hinge up at all.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Y-Guy;

Yes, your dash is different; mine is the old-school flat version and yours is more aesthetically pleasing, more car-like. I haven't seen the dash in person, so I'm not sure how it would open, if it does at all.

One thing to look for is where all your fuse panels are located. On my 2005, one of the fuse panels is under the dash, so I'm sure that's why Winnebago makes it easy to open... I just wasn't savvy enough to know that...
Old 09-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Rich34 you have a workhorse(GM) and Y GUY has a Ford. Thats what i see why his dash is different.

Retired 22 years
Old 09-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by teeman:
Rich34 you have a workhorse(GM) and Y GUY has a Ford. Thats what i see why his dash is different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello teeman;

I think the dash was changed on all Sightseers. If you go to the Winnebago website, you will see a picture of the dash and the steering wheel has the Workhorse logo.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Richard 34A I looked at the website and it looks like they change the dash in 2007. You are right . You learn something new on this site everday.Thanks

Retired 22 years
Old 09-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2005 Sightseer on a 2006 Ford chassis. Reading this post I assumed that the hinged dash applied to the Workhorse chassis. While getting ready to go to the Washington WIT Rally I took a moment to see if my dash was also hinged. Wow, it is. I've been thinking about adding a XM radio and now I know how to get into my dash.

The things I learn on this web site help me greatly.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Your iPod will work fine. I purchased a Belkin power adapter for the iPod that has a mini jack (audio output) in the plug. I added a dual RCA-to-mini plug cable and connected it to the back of the radio. I ran the cable under the dash in one of the slots. My only problem is securing the iPod as I drive down the lousy roads. The iPod has been airborne at times when I hit a pothole.

Cheers!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Richard,
Your dash is exactly like mine and I have hooked up both my Ipod and my XM Radio that I move from car to RV just have mounts for both cars. Ipod and XM sound great using the internal RCA jacks. Good luck with getting your attached.
Frank
Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigRedLancer:
Your iPod will work fine. I purchased a Belkin power adapter for the iPod that has a mini jack (audio output) in the plug. I added a dual RCA-to-mini plug cable and connected it to the back of the radio. I ran the cable under the dash in one of the slots. My only problem is securing the iPod as I drive down the lousy roads. The iPod has been airborne at times when I hit a pothole.

Cheers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was pretty excited about the RCA inputs, since I had planned on buying a CD stereo with an iPod input jack. Now I can take the money I was going to spend on the stereo and buy an iPod, since my 10-year old doesn't want to share his. And who does he think bought his?? Kids!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
Richard,
Your dash is exactly like mine and I have hooked up both my Ipod and my XM Radio that I move from car to RV just have mounts for both cars. Ipod and XM sound great using the internal RCA jacks. Good luck with getting your attached. Frank </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank;

How do you have your iPod installed for traveling? I went and looked at accessories today and saw a ton of items, but nothing that seemed to hold an iPod for traveling. Maybe you can recommend a specific brand of iPod mounting kit.

Thank you,