Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Well we took our new Sightseer out for a trip the day after Christmas and loved it. It was a pretty big change for us. We sold our F350 and 39' Toy Hauler for the new Winnebago. One of the biggest reasons for the change was so my wife would be willing to drive on our trips as well as being able to use it on the summers off (teacher) with our two boys.

I'd spent several days packing all of our camping supplies, and ridding myself of items just needed for a trailer. Since the TV was bad and on order I installed one of our 19" TVs up front and strapped it down good. I also installed a 13" TV in the back cabinet, I like that it has the cabinet doors, but I figure if I can get a frame from Winnebago someday I could slip in the 19" in the whole, but with the doors on there was no way it would fit.

We hit the road late morning of the 26th – roads were wet most of the way to Portland, and often had some pretty heavy rain. I drove for the first hour then got my wife behind the wheel, yahoo it was nice to be able to take a break, she felt good about driving it too. We really didn't feel much push from the trucks passing us, but the busses seemed to give more of a push. We didn't feel any major wandering on the road and the steering felt solid too.

We made a stop at Costco to pick up a King memory foam mattress topper, top off the tanks and headed down I205. We had checked road conditions, and all looked fine. But the road construction they were doing caused a backup that took us nearly 2 hours to get through, should have taken us about 30 minutes. The next stop was at Camping World. Picked up a surge suppressor based on the comments I've read here, and some other odds & ends. Since the layout of the 35J with the 2nd A/C doesn't give a bedroom roof vent I bought one of the Fantastic Fan Endless Breeze Fans. We normally dry camp and I knew I'd want some air movement in the mornings in the desert. I didn't buy vent covers, but on the way back home we made another stop and I bought two covers as well as a tube to hold the waste hose.

The next leg of the trip was pretty wild. We crossed the Oregon Coast Mountains via Highway 34 at Corvallis. Calling that stretch of road a Highway is an insult to other Highways. Mind you it was at night, so it was dark and the rain was back. But the twisty windy roads, which were riddled with tree limbs and a big stretch of road construction, made for some white knuckle driving for me. Might not have been so bad during the day and if it wasn't our first trip, but by the time I reached Newport I was counting my blessings. We'll avoid Highway 34 from now on when going to the Coast.

Pulling in to camp was a breeze, no way would I have attempted this campground with our previous F350 and Raptor, we had been there a few years before with our Outback trailer. After turning around we backed quickly into our sight. Barely any time for my wife and I to argue, the review camera with the microphone made it easy – and since I couldn't talk back to her probably more enjoyable for her too. It was then that I realized that I had managed to leave all three of my Mag flashlights at home – go figure. Once we knew the landing gear wasn't going to hit the rear block set up was a breeze. Now I know why I was always jealous when those Class A guys pulled in and were enjoying a cold one while I was still leveling and chocking the trailer. Kudos to Winnebago for the connection area, sure was nice to have all the connections in one spot and being a bit of a Type A – I liked that it wasn't all exposed or doors left hanging open.

That night we did find out the difference between a Fiberglass Roof and a Rubber Roof. It rained hard most the night; the roof seemed to be a lot louder with the rain drops hitting us. But after I crawled into that new king size memory foam bed it didn't take me to long to forget the noise and fall asleep. Did I say how much I loved having a King bed? The boys loved having their own bunks too, and the dogs loved the King Bed since there is room for them with us too.

The next few days we just hung out, going to the beach, riding bikes and watching bowl games. I do miss my 20' awning, the 14' one on the 35J is adequate but I figure we'll be using our tents more often for more shade. Its size did make me ponder about putting an awning on the large slide out though. Can that even be done with the slide out toppers? Humm might be a future mod.

We really had no issues with the coach the whole trip. Without the vent covers I couldn't keep the vents open without rain coming in. With two adults, two boys and two dogs we had some pretty good condensation build up on the windows, that Endless Breeze fan did a great job clearing that off – though I do think I'll add the dash fans at some point. Any other dips for dealing with the condensation? I wasn't running the LP heater much, we have 3 ceramic heaters we mostly ran on low to keep us warm and save my LP.

I had picked up a 4 place bike rack from etrailer.com for $99 – looked like a good deal and worked out great. Price was right too. After reading about some of the rear cameras that look down then scan back to traffic I was wondering if that can be replaced – its not a huge deal but with our ATV trailer I can see the advantage of it.

On the trip home we solved the problem we had with the lack of high beams at one point. I hadn't realized that the coach had daytime running lamps – not sure how I missed that though. Well on the way back my wife was driving and noted that the high beams were not working again. I began searching the coach, checking every breaker and switch that I could. They had worked fine for me on the way down so something was up. Well I stood behind my wife looking at all the switched when I noticed something. The light switch was only on the parking/marker lights setting. Bingo, flipped it to headlight mode and the lights got brighter and high beams worked. Yep that was one of those head slap "duh" type of moments.

At home we unpacked and I rewinterized the coach and let it rest in storage until the replacement TV arrives. We're already planning to go out on our next trip in a few weeks up to the mountains, this time with our ATVs and probably dry camping.

Our new rig at camp
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Y-guy, nice coach! The 14' awning ain't so bad... But I'm doubtful that you can get another awning to go over the bedroom slide at reasonable cost. -And then you'd have a gap between both awnings that might become an issue. Also, because of the upper bunk window location, I'm not certain that mounting another awning on the side of the slide could be done. If I were you, I'd consider carrying a screen house or one of those party tents. The're big enough to cover a picnic table, and besides, that's about all anyone generally looks to cover...
Consider yourself fortunate that you can get access to the back of your water heater (at least it looks like it from the pic). A peeve with many Winnie owners is having to R&R the check valves on the water heater after a few years.
Did you get the Workhorse or the Ford chassis?
As for a tip, you might consider picking up a BatteryMinder (smart charger w/ desulfating) to keep your batteries in top condition.

One last thought, and I mean no offense. Is there any way to slow down your Y-guy avatar jumping? Personally it gets me a little batty when reading your posts... Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy the new coach! It looks like a winner. -And that 35J will likely become a popular floorplan.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

troth - thanks for the thought on the awning, sort of what I had figured too, oh well. I got spoiled before.

We have the Ford chassis, which was fine for me at this time. Dealership is certified to work on both, but seeing they are also a Ford dealership I figured it wouldn't hurt.

The issue with the battery minder is right now we're storing off site, I maybe able to get it on the side of my house but then I'd have an ATV trailer to deal with. So for now I don't have plug in's while in storage. I am tossing around the idea of adding a solar panel for that reason though.

I've changed the Y to a stationary guy, thanks for letting me know he was annoying you.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Y-Guy, nice report sound like it worked out great for you. I'll be heading down to MT Hood and mt Bachlor for 8 days in February so I know what you mean about some of those roads in OR. What were the temperature outside? That's a big rig to keep warm with 3 ceramic heaters. I don't know what to do about the condensation we just wipe off our window frames every morning. and always have the vent on when cooking.
cheers

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi Y guy!, we are taking our new 34-a out for the first time this weekend for a short shakedown weekend. Looks like all went well on your first outing. An't it fun to sit behind that BIG windsheild and watch the world go by Will report back in on Monday to update the first outing.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Have a great trip out. Two suggestions, make sure you have a flashlight or two and take a couple note pads, one by the dash to jot down ideas and one to keep near you as you are just chatting. We had a bunch of notes about what to bring, where to move things, etc., really helped us.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Nice post "Y" guy and a nice looking rv too! I kinda liked the Y dancing around! We use the heat pumps in the ac and the LP furnace when it gets colder out. The heat pumps are noisier than the furnace so we usually only run those when we are outside or gone anyway and then use the furnace when we are inside, at night, or sleeping. The furnace really doesn't use much LP, we use maybe 2/3 tank per year and it doesn't cost that much to refill. But I know you're paying for the electricity anyway so why not use it, right? Enjoy you MH!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

rvcarpenter - hopefully the roads in the Cascades are in better shape. It was pretty cool, mid to lower 30s at night, few days it was very chilly all day too. Nothing like cold rain.

Easyrider - You're probably right about the furnace, I'm a tightwad over things like that. I've never forgotten how much propane I chewed threw in our Popup over a 3 day weekend.

Question... The coach didn't come with a blank tank spray out, it doesn't look that hard to install one. I had installed one on our Outback. Any recommendations or lessons learned?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Congrats YGUY! The coach looks terrific. WE traded our trailer for our motorhome too. And yes lots less yelling when I am helping my husband back in! Or atleast I don't hear him yelling at me.....LOL
The king size beds came out after we bought ours (wish we had one). We have three little Rat Terriers who sleep with us and it can get congested with all of us in a queen.
Enjoy!
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hey Y-guy! Funny thing......We used to own an outback too and would read your posts on outbackers.com and always found them helpful. Now again we own the same rig (35J) and are finding you helpful again!!!! We have had ours since October. Have been to Disney and back and some other areas. Loving it!!!
PS. I like the Y dancing too!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hey gbss - funny stuff. Very small world isn't it. I still run into folks from the Outbackers and PopupTimes too - good people all over.

How do you like your rig? Disneyworld! I'm jealous, that would be one long haul for us. We are actually planning on a trip to WDW next Christmas, without the motorhome though. Sounds like you have already broken in the motorhome good... any mods or recommendations?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We love our 35J! The only "mods" we have done are taken out the captain's chair for our puppy's crate, bed gates on the bunks for our little ones,and memory foam on the king bed. The surround sound on the tv is awesome but my dh and I only get to watch tv when the kids are in bed and then we can't turn it up. I have watched movies in the MH sitting in our driveway just b/c the surround sound is so amazing. It is like having my own private movie theatre.
Have fun!