Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sightseer 33C under awning space

We are looking very closely at the Sightseer 33C. It appears to me that the space under the awning is quite small due to the 2 slideouts. We like to sit out while it rains and I'm concerned about getting wet! Will we? Thanks.
scharfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi There -

We looked closely at that model, and there's definitely still room to sit (and dodge the raindrops)-- just not a ton of it.

Here are some great pictures on a sold until so you can see a few angles:

2015 Winnebago Sightseer 33C Class A Gas Troy, OH Arbogast RVs

It's a little harder to see the TV, AND still remain under the awning, since the TV not part of the slide, so you would need to move further out.

You could always get a pop-up canopy to solve that issue. Just another thought.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfm View Post
We are looking very closely at the Sightseer 33C. It appears to me that the space under the awning is quite small due to the 2 slideouts. We like to sit out while it rains and I'm concerned about getting wet! Will we? Thanks.
Here's some pictures of the 33C in action. Ours is a 2010 Sunova but the awning and slideout arrangement is the same as the 2015 Sightseer 33C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3854.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	76507   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3858.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	76508  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3859.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	76509  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Great pictures. Thanks a lot for posting and your reply.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Not a great deal of shade

Quote:
I have a 2011 33C and yes the awning is one of the short comings of this model that I was aware of when I purchased the unit. Because the awning comes straight out, due to slides, it does not offer much shade.

Never used it in the rain.
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

True about the awning, not much shade however the floor plan outweighs the small inconvenience. I am considering a made to measure zip-up privacy screen to improve it.

I have used mine in the rain and used the tilt adjustment to control where the water goes, This is a nice feature of this awning.
RomeoPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well, we got it. When asked, the salesman suggested pulling down on the ends of the awning (would allow about 9"), much the way you would direct the rain to go to one side or the other--and that would increase shade reduce rain under the awning a bit. Not sure how big of an issue it will be. Many positives with this unit sure outweigh this concern. We are both looking forward to using the MH a lot this year. I'll follow this up with our user experiences end of summer.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Well, we got it. When asked, the salesman suggested pulling down on the ends of the awning (would allow about 9"), much the way you would direct the rain to go to one side or the other--and that would increase shade reduce rain under the awning a bit. Not sure how big of an issue it will be. Many positives with this unit sure outweigh this concern. We are both looking forward to using the MH a lot this year. I'll follow this up with our user experiences end of summer.
Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing of your experiences. I know that the wife and I and sometimes granddaughter certainly enjoy ours. Happy trails and planning for the summer!
Old 01-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

33c shade under awning

We have / put up a 6 x 10 SunBlocker by Carefree. Offers filtered shade and is just wide enough for our 2 chairs. Keeps out light rain showers too
gwtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the recommendation. We will keep that in mind once we get started this spring--can't come soon enough!!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Sunshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtriker View Post
We have / put up a 6 x 10 SunBlocker by Carefree. Offers filtered shade and is just wide enough for our 2 chairs. Keeps out light rain showers too
I have 2011 Sightseer 33c. That patio awning is made by A and E. Did your Carefree fit into the track ok?
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Do you just leave the sunblocker in the roller tube and then just let it roll up with the tube or do you uninstall it each time you roll up the awning?

If you install it each time you use it, do you use a ladder or stand on a picnic table, etc. to reach the roller tube?

I've got a Sunblocker that I used on our previous MH but haven't tried it on the 33C yet.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I just found the ticket! This solves the problem of getting the sunshade on and off of the roller tube without climbing a ladder!

RV Awning Drops & End Panels - Features

This sunshade has a horizontal zipper on the sunshade about 2' below the roller tube. So the attached 2' rolls up with the awning. I should be able to reach the zipper from the ground without a ladder. I'll have to wait to measure the size of shade that I want, but after I do, I'm going to order one of these!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I slid 16 nylon webbing awning hook holders into my the awning track (these stay in all the time ... use them to hang lights, wind chimes, etc). I installed 11 grommets (maybe over kill?) along the edge of the sunblocker. Using a small 2 step ladder, I hang up the sunblocker using S-hooks. Sunblocker stays up unless a storm (wind) comes up
gwtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I slid 16 nylon webbing awning hook holders into my the awning track (these stay in all the time ... use them to hang lights, wind chimes, etc). I installed 11 grommets (maybe over kill?) along the edge of the sunblocker. Using a small 2 step ladder, I hang up the sunblocker using S-hooks. Sunblocker stays up unless a storm (wind) comes up
Ahhh...that's a good method that would work. We ought to start a Sunova/Sightseer 33C thread where we all could post various modifications, etc. that we've done to the 33C. Could include pics and descriptions. I'll bet there would be some very good ideas that people have done to them.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

That's a great idea. As a new owner, I would be very interested in that. And I also have some enhancements planned myself that I could share. I'm not too experienced with forums, and I have seen authors get slammed for not sticking to thread topic, so I'm a little unsure how this would work. Should there be a Winnebago/Sunova 33C Owners Forum? Is that the best way? And then generate threads from within that forum? Is that possible here? Idk.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
That's a great idea. As a new owner, I would be very interested in that. And I also have some enhancements planned myself that I could share. I'm not too experienced with forums, and I have seen authors get slammed for not sticking to thread topic, so I'm a little unsure how this would work. Should there be a Winnebago/Sunova 33C Owners Forum? Is that the best way? And then generate threads from within that forum? Is that possible here? Idk.
The site bosses won't make a forum for individual models from a manufacturer. As far as the "off-topic" thing goes, if the thread is titled something like this: "Sightseer/Sunova 33C Owner's Thread" then nothing would be off-topic! What do you think?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like a good approach. If you start I will subscribe for sure.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Ditto...Jim
jncSiightsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I'd be interested in how others make mods. I'm really interested in installing a dishwasher so if anyone has already done that I like to hear about it. Mine is a 2013 33C and I love the features. We do take a screen house with us that provides additional rain protection.
schmuttis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, sightseer