Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sightseer 29R -like it or not?

Hello - we are new to these boards but not new to rving. We are in the market for a good used RV - looking at a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29R - well maintained with 21K miles on it. Would like to hear from current or former owners about this rig - likes, dislikes and anything to look for while giving it the once over?

thanks for any advice. We really like this layout - not ready to go full time so the size is perfect for our weekend getaways.

cinbol
currently rv homeless!
cinbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What chassis does it have?
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a Sightseer 29r on a Workhorse Chassis. It is an excellent motorhome. Drives nice and we really love it. The only problem I have had is the Air conditioning. I have had the compressor replaced twice and it just quit on me again. Maybe I am just unlucky with the Dash air.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We have been very satisfied with our 2006 Sightseer 29R Special Edition.We have taken several long trips (longest being 8 weeks). We take our 25 lb dog and 3 cats with us. I especially like that I can maneuver into and out of places where larger coaches would have difficulty, even towing our Saturn Vue. Ours is on the Ford F53 chassis which has been excellent. Personallly, I would stay away from a Workhorse chassis (brake problems and digital dash display problems). The ride can be harsh at times (concrete highways with expansion joints).
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We've purchased our 2005 in March of this year 22,000 on F53 chassis. This vehicle had been garaged and extremely well taken care of. We were almost ashamed to bring home. We have since put 4,000 miles on average 7.7 towing HHR like a dream. I emailed Winnebago regarding how to wire dash fan's and rec'd a phone call within 3 hours, which was a pleasant surprise. We had been patiently looking for a replacement for our Class C and I wasn't too sure about this floor plan when I saw on line (local purchase) but when we stepped in it we were sold. Price was low retail to include window covers, spare shades and tow bar. Goodyear tires still look good as it was stored inside however I'll replace next year with Hankook AH11's. My Ford dealer sells tires and does all my service work, LOF is $32 and I have a good relationship with them. I'm considering the 5 Star option but I'll speak with Ford and a local Trans shop for opinions. Power is fine but may want to change shift point. I wanted a torqshift but this is on 2004 chassis. I think you'll be pleased with the 29R and an more than happy with the F53 chassis.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We own a 2008 Sightseer and have been very happy with it. Put over 13K miles on so far. Only major issue has been with the generator when the motor failed and Onan had to replace it under warranty. As a previous poster noted, the ride can be harsh. Looking into Sumo Springs in the future.
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We had a 98 Minnie Winne class C and Winnebago seems to do a better than average job on the motorhomes. As for liking it, you have to be the one that like the floor plan and live with it.

Make sure it was well maintained and no leaks in the roof or windows.

Ken
Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We traded in a B+ in 06 for ours. Very happy with it, but like others said the ride could be better. The Ford chassis has been very reliable.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sightseer 29R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsharbor View Post
What chassis does it have?
It is on the Ford Chassis - Triton V-10

The interior is very clean - exterior not so clean - decals are wrinkled and curling in some areas, surface rust around some of the outdoor bins - think it was stored outside not under cover - the current owners have had it for 3 years - it originated in Coloroda and has the "banks" (sp??) system on it for mileage boost??? don't know much about that and we only have "hills" here in the Northeast LOL!

We actually have found 2 for sale private deals within 10 miles of each other and about 90 minutes from home so are trying to figure out which one is the best deal - one has the blue ox tow system with bars and 21K miles - the other has tow package and a PT cruiser to go with it - only 7K miles but haven't seen the 2nd one yet....

Wondering why we are seeing this model by two different owners for sale at the same time - both are 2005 - was wondering if this year/model had some special problems but not from the sounds of those of you who already own one - thanks for the advice!

Cindi
Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

2005 29R Special Edition

[QUOTE=coffeeman;690967]We've purchased our 2005 in March of this year 22,000 on F53 chassis.

Thankss Coffeeman - we love the floor plan having come from a class c with no slides this is more than enough for our needs. Found a local seller who is asking $52,500 for this 2005 that is in excellent condition w/only 14K miles on it - which is high according to NADA average retail - do you think this is priced right based on your recent purchase?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2005 Sightseer 29R on a 2006 Ford Chassis.

We bought it in June of 2006. We love the layout but this summer with 17,800 miles our Ford V10 engine started knocking. We were towed to a Ford Dealer and they said that we needed a new engine. Ford couldn't install an engine for us so we were towed to a motorhome dealer that could install the engine. They installed a rebuilt V10 engine from Ford and called us to come and pick up our RV that was about 3.5 hour drive from our home. When we arrived the cam shaft sensor was showing a fault. They couldn't fix it so they drove our RV to a nearby Ford Dealer who after 3 days finally said that the newly replaced engine was bad and had to be replaced once again. It took two months for the RV dealer to install two engines into our RV.

We are now on our third V10 engine and we are out $11,500. The good news we now have another three year warranty on our newly rebuilt V10 engine from Ford.

The first engine went bad after 3 years and 11 months and we didn't have an aftermarket warranty. We talked about getting an aftermarket warranty before our trip but I decided that with 17,800 miles not much could go wrong. My mistake.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We bought our 2005 Sightseer 29R in mid 2005... about 20K miles later we still have not found anything we like better! I got the Workhorse chassis. It has worked well for us (I rather enjoy passing the 40-foot deisel motorhomes in mountain driving - and my wife does not like me offering to drag race Corvettes). Seriously, it has plenty of power and I tow a 2003 CRV.

We got this model specifically because of the floor plan - we wanted the dining room table across from the sofa with lots of windows - we wanted that "outside comes inside" feeling when camping. We specifically did not want anything elegant - with two kids we wanted something very family friendly. The 29R was all of that and more.

I average 8.6 mpg with the AC running and towing the CRV. That is based on a recent 8,000 mile trip.

I usually have no trouble at all navigating State/National park campgrounds. Most gas stations are OK but some Pilots in the East are just too tight when I'm towing. The turning radius on the 29R seems just fine.

I've been pleased with Winnebago quality. I've done the factory tour and have had routine service done there also (after 11 months of use I found 7 little items that needed attention - they were marvelous about fixing them).

Problems- just the usual --- Dash A/C compressor failed, Power steering pump failed (under warranty), and I had a failure of the Auto Park brake (this is a design defect in the chassis in my opinion).

Would I buy again..... yes, in an instant.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We have had our Workhorse 29R on a P32 chassis about 6 months and put about 5000 miles on it since purchase. It had about 25000 miles on it when we got it. We are very happy with it.

Lots of power, just enough space, small enough to go most anywhere. Tow a 2001 Honda Accord.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote