Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

'08 Sightseer 35J with RCA CRT in rear bedroom and the Jensen radio/DVD player up front (but this is probably applicable to all recent Sightseers.)

Can you play DVDs in the front and also have them show up on the rear bedroom TV? I finally got the satellite to show up (but it is a lousy picture) but have not got the DVD to work. The TV works fine in both analog and digital TV mode.

I'm stating to think that you have to buy a DVD player for the rear and plug it into the front of the TV? I removed every screw I could find but could not see how to get the TV out of its cabinet.

On edit: to clarify, there is no video distribution box on this model. It has a strange coax wiring setup that I have yet to figure out reading the schematics.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

'08 Sightseer 35J with RCA CRT in rear bedroom and the Jensen radio/DVD player up front (but this is probably applicable to all recent Sightseers.)

Can you play DVDs in the front and also have them show up on the rear bedroom TV? I finally got the satellite to show up (but it is a lousy picture) but have not got the DVD to work. The TV works fine in both analog and digital TV mode.

I'm stating to think that you have to buy a DVD player for the rear and plug it into the front of the TV? I removed every screw I could find but could not see how to get the TV out of its cabinet.

On edit: to clarify, there is no video distribution box on this model. It has a strange coax wiring setup that I have yet to figure out reading the schematics.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I have 08 30b. I believe that you have to get a DVD player for the rear TV. I don't know of a way to get the signal to the rear TV.
jimalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I am pretty sure you have to buy a dvd player for the rear tv. We did for you 06'. We just bought a portable (cheap) one that plugs into the front of the tv. It looks like on cd player and you can use either a regular outlet or (if you are dry camping) you can plug it into the 12volt. Can get one for under $35 at Camping World.
west04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

A separate DVD seems to be the answer based on the posts and some PMs. As said, its a cheap and easy fix. Thanks all!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I play DVDs through the front DVD player and it can be seen on the front and the rear TVs. You need to make sure you set the SAT/Cable/Ant/VCR selector to VCR and TVs to channel 3.
Frank O.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
I play DVDs through the front DVD player and it can be seen on the front and the rear TVs. You need to make sure you set the SAT/Cable/Ant/VCR selector to VCR and TVs to channel 3.
Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The OP won't be able to do this as he doesn't have the Video Selector Box in the Sightseer....When we owned our '05 Sightseer, we didn't have one, and I added one....what a PAIN!!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Yep, that's right. I bought a selector box and tried to install it to no avail (and I'm fairly handy at this stuff). Reading the schematics, the coax goes through splitters and amps and who knows what else that I gave up. I'll just buy the cheap DVD player.

I think I will replace that TV. It is a digital but a CRT and heavy. The front tv will autotune and find about twice the number of channels that the rear one will. We replaced the front 19" Jensen 12/110V with a 32" LCD so I may move the Jensen to the rear. One day. Its not a big deal since we rarely watch TV in the back anyway.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Oops -- sorry should have checked the schematics first. How do you get Cable/Sat to the rear TV?
Frank O.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:16 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
Oops -- sorry should have checked the schematics first. How do you get Cable/Sat to the rear TV?

A maze of splitters and cables up where the video selector box SHOULD BE.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

A maze of splitters and cables up where the video selector box SHOULD BE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen! They could have bought a selector box for the same price of all the splitters and other strange electronics one finds in that compartment.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Our daughter gave us a dvd player for the MH for Christmas. However, it only had composite video and audio output. So I went to Radio Shack and bought an RF modulator. I wired the output of the modulator to the input of the selector switch (I do have one) for the VCR (don't have one of those). This worked well for seeing dvd in the rear until the modulator died. After I threw that out I just wired the composite video from the dvd player directly into the back of the TV,no more dvd in the rear. My point in posting this info is to point out that all dvd players don't have RF output and your dvd player may be directly wired to your front TV,
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Our Sigthseer came with a selector box, so from the rear TV we can watch what ever is playing at the VCR/DVD unit at the front. Also anything from cable (when connected at the CG, after programming). I recently installed a DTV converter box. The DTV box only goes to the front TV. I might need another for the rear (less expensive for now).

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote