Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Shower Valve

OK wise ones. I have a 2012 Tour and my shower valve has gotten really hard to turn on and off. So I bought a new cartrige and changed it out and it works smoothly now but it has a drip coming out the end of the stem. So I'm thinking about changing the valve out. It's a Moen but the new Moen has male adapters and the one I have has female adapters. So that means the fittings to my shower valve won't work on the new one. As you know there isn't much room in there to work on it. Does anyone know where and If I can find the same valve I have so my fittings will work. Also the pipe feeding this is a white to partly clear plastic. I thought maybe Pex but not sure. Any ideals would help. Thanks

Ray
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ray, you can call Moen directly with the information and they will send you out a new one. I think they have a lifetime warranty. Take some pics if you don't know the model number. I had to do that with our kitchen sink valve shortly after purchasing our Aspect 30J (used).

Try that and see...good luck!

Al
Old 09-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If your faucet also has 3 holes there are springs and gaskets that should also be changed. If not then I dunno
Old 09-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

One thing I learned about the water fixtures in my Journey is that the cartridges in the faucets are not standard. What happened back when my RV was made is that Winnie contracted with a company who would buy brand name faucets and shower fixtures, remove the original parts like springs and 'O' rings, and install stronger parts. In order to be able to withstand the higher water pressures that RV'ers are faced with on occasion.

At least that was true of mine in a '94 Journey. The shower springs and 'O' rings were sufficiently different from the Moen that the shower had a constant drip at nearly every RV park I went to for almost a year. Trying to stop it, I bought and installed 3 Moen kits over that year. One time the drip was so bad, it caused the tank to fill and the shower pan to overflow. Sitting here at the dinner table, I was really surprised to suddenly find my feet getting wet and see a small river of water crossing the tiles. Bought one of those shutoff valves that attach to the shower head shortly after.

Anyway, I learned that the only place I could buy the parts kit for the shower was at Lichtsinn RV in Forest City, IA. The Winnie service dept told me they're no longer available from them. Very expensive, relatively.

So, what I'm saying is that yeah, call Winnebago and get the correct manufacturer and part numbers for your faucet kit. Or maybe just call Lichtsinn first. Have your VIN and Winnie serial number ready.

If you want to avoid the whole process, buy one of those shut offs that goes on the shower pipe before the shower head and just remember to turn it off each time you finish with a shower.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Any chance you can take it apart and soak it in CLR and clean with a toothbrush to knock down any scale build up?? Also like Lichtsinn's ability to find unusual stuff ...
Old 09-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
2017 42QD Tour

Had same issue two years ago at GNR after purchase of a 2017 Tour in Arizona. Fresh water tank had was full of Arizona HARD WATER. Valve has a lifetime replacement, so I ordered one. As it turned out minerals had formed on valve and the Moen Rep at show told me to just remove it and clean. I used No CLR! He said coat with silicon grease and replace it. I did and it’s still working fine and new replacement from Moen is on coach just in case.
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #7
Itasca owner

There is no reason you should ever have to replace the whole valve, its just a brass casting that never wears out. Change the cartridges and it should be like a new valve. Buy a little container of faucet stem grease and smear it on all the O rings and pieces when you put it in, it'll help things seat and work more smoothly.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The valves should last forever and only require a good internal cleaning before lubricating the cartridge and installing it in the valve body. Most fail to clean the cylinder and many instead of adding the valve/plumbers grease end up wiping most of it off ending up with a cartridge that wears out faster and is hard to turn.

I still have the original Delta/Peerless faucets on the sinks and Moen Shower valve that came with my coach in 2001. Shower wands are the only things that really had to be replaced over the past 18 years.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have the same problem on my 2012 Tour. The valve got so hard to turn that the plastic handle broke. I put a new plastic handle on as a temporary fix but am interested to see what is needed to replace/repair the valve.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:50 AM   #10
Itasca Ellpse 42 QD 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
Had same issue two years ago at GNR after purchase of a 2017 Tour in Arizona. Fresh water tank had was full of Arizona HARD WATER. Valve has a lifetime replacement, so I ordered one. As it turned out minerals had formed on valve and the Moen Rep at show told me to just remove it and clean. I used No CLR! He said coat with silicon grease and replace it. I did and it’s still working fine and new replacement from Moen is on coach just in case.
Do you know the Moen model number please?
Capt mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
Itasca Ellpse 42 QD 2015

Shower faucet hard to turn

My Itasca 42qd Ellipse (2015) has a really hard to turn faucet valve. Anyone know what make and model number of the shower valve. Thank you.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Itasca Ellpse 42 QD 2015

Another stupid question where is the water shut off valve on my ellipse so that I can work on my shower valve.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt mike View Post
Another stupid question where is the water shut off valve on my ellipse so that I can work on my shower valve.
I'm not sure I follow. You just don't have the vehicle connected to city water and don't have the water pump on. The shower valve itself may have a shut off like most home shower valves would somewhere near the handles, but in RVs they may omit that to safe cost (not sure).

Similarly, you can work on the 120 volt electrical system by disconnecting the short power and not running the generator. You could turn off breakers instead, but it's a bit more foolproof to simply disconnect.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #14
Itasca Ellpse 42 QD 2015

Yes you are right. I will turn off city water and the water pump. Do you happen to know the model number or manufacturer of the actual valve? Thank you.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Sorry, no I don't know that.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #16
2017 42QD Tour

Quote:
Do you know the Moen model number please?
Moen #1222B cartridge kit.
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
My Itasca 42qd Ellipse (2015) has a really hard to turn faucet valve. Anyone know what make and model number of the shower valve. Thank you.
Its hard to turn on my 2012 Tour. So much so that I actually broke the cheap plastic handle. I purchased a better quality handle and while its still hard to turn its working Ok.

The cartridge is the problem?
Old 08-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

The make is Moen and I found the valve on Amazon. It's the valve only with no trim. It's also the only place I could find it. Moen 2510 Brass Posi-Temp Pressure Balancing Tub and Shower Valve, 1/2-Inch IPS Connections. This one is the same as mine and probable yours as well.
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #19
Itasca Ellpse 42 QD 2015

Shower valve.

I really appreciate your help here.
Thank you.

Tags
shower