Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

shower pan leak

Good Morning all, Happy New Year's!

We are 6 months in to our Pandemic tour w Smokey, 2018 Sunstar 35 LX, Cayenne w Honey Cherry, we intermittently have a small pool of water in the lower left corner of our bathroom floor.... just below door opening for bathroom sliding door and shower stall door.
I believe it could either be a shower pan drain leak or a drip from water connection then leaking out from the pan area....
There seems to be a 3 inch kick plate of a semi flexible material running under the hard fiberglass pan...
Anyone know how to remove the piece to let me see under the shower pan to determine where my drip is from?

Thank you all, your help has inspired me to tackle more of my own fixes in this new year!
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Happy New Year to you also.

About your leak, First I think I would try another water course in the shower. Put a hose in there and see if the tub or wall area leaks first. Then maybe if no leaks start taking things apart. Could be at the tee behind the shower shut off. Note if the coach is tilted. When I was working on my shower leak the coach was tilted so any water that got away ran out closer to the wall not into living area. There were holes there for piping.
SoCo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Winnebago is usually pretty good at providing good access so you can follow leaks. I once had a leak in the cold water running to the bathroom faucet. The connection under the sink actually just needed to be tightened, but the water found a path in back of the sink and around the shower before it was visible on the wall by the bathroom door....a very circuitous route! Any, I share this because sometimes where the leak appears could be several feet from where it began. If it appears to be fresh water, you might want to check the connections under the sink and in back of the shower faucet. These are easy to check and might save some time.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm assuming you mean a Sunstar LX that is 35 long but there are a number of 35 foot models. So perhaps you can go to this site and find the correct one to look at the parts which might leak and run to that spot?
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

I might suggest that I would first check the connections at the back of the faucet as first stop that is often pretty easy to get out without marring/damage to anything. Small leaks tend to go down the side of the plumbing and then when it meets something like the shower pan it may transfer over and run out different places depending on how the RV is tilted at the time.
Sort of thing to drive one crazy when it comes out in the bedroom for one stay and in the front the next??

This is a picture of the 35 B model but many are the same as there are several screws covered with a plastic "button on the faceplate and then the whole faucet can be pulled forward to access the fitting on the flexible lines?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sustar.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	176695   Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	176696  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

ty

appreciate the information.....

1 definitely small leak, not from inside shower stall

2 w small pliers pulled some tiny staples and got minimal view under shower.... no puddles, p trap looks connected w no sign of leaking... actually has hole in floor w a catch pan , no water.

3 i will have wife run water from inside while i lay on floor w light later, hopefully it will just b a loose faucet connector.

mean time fan is blowing fresh air under to completely dry prior to my next step.

appreciate the info.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I'm assuming you mean a Sunstar LX that is 35 long but there are a number of 35 foot models. So perhaps you can go to this site and find the correct one to look at the parts which might leak and run to that spot?
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

I might suggest that I would first check the connections at the back of the faucet as first stop that is often pretty easy to get out without marring/damage to anything. Small leaks tend to go down the side of the plumbing and then when it meets something like the shower pan it may transfer over and run out different places depending on how the RV is tilted at the time.
Sort of thing to drive one crazy when it comes out in the bedroom for one stay and in the front the next??

This is a picture of the 35 B model but many are the same as there are several screws covered with a plastic "button on the faceplate and then the whole faucet can be pulled forward to access the fitting on the flexible lines?
Lx35F..... zzzzx2 serial number on Smokey
Old 01-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I did a bit more looking and really don't see any suspect items on the water lines or drains unless it is the connection on the drain directly below the shower or the pressure side at the faucet as the first connection (assuming it is a loose connection?) is a fair amount out in front of the shower.

No good on how any of the trim comes off, though.

Perhaps just looking at what you might expect can let you recognize the things you see back in the dark space?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	35 F feed.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	176701   Click image for larger version

Name:	35F drain.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	176702  

Name:	35F.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	176703  
Old 01-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Since I didn’t want to remove and trim or wall panels, I just looked behind cabinet doors and removed the vents in the wall to inspect inside. Maybe your model does not have these “inspection hatches”. I could trace the lines using my iPhone pretty well to capture pictures where I could not see (just don’t drop it! :-) I also got one of those wireless “endoscopes” to allow me to snake the camera into areas I could not reach with the iPhone. It was somewhat helpful in tracing the pipes, though in the end, it was just the faucet connection under the bathroom sink!

Wireless Endoscope, KZYEE 5.5mm Diameter 1080P 2.0 MP HD Semi-Rigid WiFi Borescope Inspection Camera IP67 Waterproof Snake Camera for Android & iOS iPhone Smartphone Tablet-33FT
by KZYEE US
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CWQGNNR...ing=UTF8&psc=1
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

i like the idea.... and have been able to get a few pictures under the trim panel.

i will see if i can post them
Old 01-04-2021, 05:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

drain under pan....

looks dry and clean, no water or stains. plus not sure how water could move across the hole in the floor to allow for trap clearance.

image is flipped, bottom of shower pan is on bottom, catch pan cut out is on top.

sorry, working off my phone
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210104_151643.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	176704  
Old 01-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Hope you don't mind if I turn it over?

Agree that it looks very difficult to see water from the drain coming any where close to outside to be spotted. It does look like an excellent plan they have made for dealing with an area which does develop leaks, though.

What about water running down the door glass, etc. to leak out at some odd point?
Have you been able to track it down to exactly when if gets wet? Some things to factor in might be if it leaks during the time the shower is not used for 8-10 hours, that makes it more likely to be in the pressure water lines, where if it tends to always be wet fairly soon after the shower is used, it might lean more toward a door or drain leak?
I might form a plan to sort which is leaking by doing this:
Wait for things to have fully dried, Then

1. Watch for it getting wet when simply plumbed to a faucet. Pressure leak on the input lines so require looking at the fittings at the faucet.

2. Check for a drain leak by running water down the drain while making sure not to get it out on the door, etc.

3. Put lots of water on the door, etc. to see if it can be spotted?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	176705  
Old 01-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I could be wrong, but this sounded similar to a leak I had and a couple others did.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...gh-356260.html

For me after a lot of hunting, the culprit was the screws on the glass/metal shower door.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I had a similar mystery issue, so perhaps my experience will help.

We noticed water on the floor, at outside the corner of the shower. Our was closet to the front of the RV, where the shower door is hinged.

I finally realized, that when the RV was not completely level—when the front of the RV was just even a tad lower than the rear, that we’d experience some water on the floor.

Once I bought the LevelMate Pro, and got our rig level, the issues went away.

Then, months later, and miles and bumps later later, I noticed it again—even when perfectly level.

I pulled off the panel below the shower, (it had just four screws). Now, I found all of the drain pipes were literally hand tight, (or loose).

I tightened everything, and it STILL LEAKED. Finally, narrowed down the small drip to the drain gasket in the shower stall itself. I handmade a gasket with FlexSeal material on the road and solved the issue.

But really, all issues had to be addressed. And I did so, one at a time, as i uncovered them.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all, everyone has had a point of view i had not thought of, appreciate the time and effort to help!
i will update and hopefully add to the knowledge of these tricky on again /off again issues we all love so much w our rides.

This am, 2 showers in and no visible under pan leaks at all.... fan ran all night, small wooden support of front left corner of shower pan drying nicely. My focus will be on shower door seal, caulk, rubber flap sweep on bottom of glass door.

i will take pictures of the kick pannel piece to show you a possible theory i am thinking of....

more to come!
Old 01-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I had a similar mystery issue, so perhaps my experience will help.

We noticed water on the floor, at outside the corner of the shower. Our was closet to the front of the RV, where the shower door is hinged.

I finally realized, that when the RV was not completely level—when the front of the RV was just even a tad lower than the rear, that we’d experience some water on the floor.

Once I bought the LevelMate Pro, and got our rig level, the issues went away.

Then, months later, and miles and bumps later later, I noticed it again—even when perfectly level.

I pulled off the panel below the shower, (it had just four screws). Now, I found all of the drain pipes were literally hand tight, (or loose).

I tightened everything, and it STILL LEAKED. Finally, narrowed down the small drip to the drain gasket in the shower stall itself. I handmade a gasket with FlexSeal material on the road and solved the issue.

But really, all issues had to be addressed. And I did so, one at a time, as i uncovered them.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Wyatt, that was helpful and will be next on list.... weep holes, the things you learn camping!

RV maintenance w a side of camping!
Old 01-14-2021, 02:17 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Blast valve, I was the OP on the link you posted and, as they say, so far so good. We're probably 20+ showers in and the repair is still holding. Fingers crossed for longevity.

Morich *I believe) thanks for the Winnie drawings, I seem to have a difficult time accessing them. I save all that you post!

Good luck to the OP here. It's really a matter of correcting one leak at a time.

Since someone here mentioned finding loose connections, either from incorrect installation or vibrations of road travel. I'd like to remind everyone to check your connections (clamps) on your dump manifold! Mine fell off (completely) while beginning the dump process. The entire contents of black and gray tanks dumped into the compartment and onto the ground! After the celan up, I strapped mine into place so that while it may come loose, it should never fall off again. Just an fyi.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

follow up

Thank you all....

After a week of chasing the issue here is a recap:

Remove panel under shower pan

inspect for water, none.

Dry area, shower 4x, no leaks visible from drain or faucet connectors

remove all caulk, from shower walls and inside and out of aluminum door frame.

dry shower seems for 24 hrs, no shower.

clean and dry all old caulk and seems.... this took time and careful removal of alot of extra caulking applied by rv dealer.... just slap it on it will stop it must have been their thinking.... dumb

bought good quality clear caulk, reapplied single bead around shower pan, door frame inside and out.

i left the shower door tray , where door meets frame, right above where my leak was uncaulked..
this is where i believe the water should weep down and back inside the shower.... it took an hour or more to clean that corner out carefully. As i cleaned the old caulk out, water weeped the entire time ....

Everyone had great ideas, photos, diagrams, i appreciate the information and hope this may help anyone w a small mysterious leak...

We left Smokey for a few weeks, hopefully upon our return and 3 weeks of drying/curing the leak will be gone!!

we will let you know.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

this is after caulking was removed, prior to cleaning.... the area pointed to is where it was caulked over and over, inside, outside and in the door tray... this is what i believe caused the slow small leak...
i believe the water should be allowed to drain back into shower.... we will see soon!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210114_113238.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	176833  
Old 01-15-2021, 02:45 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

This is one of the things I discovered while doing mine. I didn't shove the coat hanger through, the caulk was missing and it just went right through.
Sounds like you did a thorough job, good luck,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV shower repair (3).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	176847  
Old 01-15-2021, 08:11 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
This is one of the things I discovered while doing mine. I didn't shove the coat hanger through, the caulk was missing and it just went right through.
Sounds like you did a thorough job, good luck,
Exactly where i believe my problem was.... inside right corner of the aluminum door tray....
gobs of caulk over the years and botched attempts to stop a leak....

Tags
leak, shower