Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Shower drain-P trap or 1-way?

Is it common to use a one way type of drain in an RV shower or is it normally a P trap like in a house? We have had no trouble whatsoever with the shower drain but it' been sitting a couple months so I thought I'd pour a cup or 2 of water in each drain today and in the shower it didn't go down till a few minutes went by so I'm wondering if I need to snake it or if this is some kind of one way valve that needs a bit of pressure to open?

edit: I just poured more water in and it went down fine.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Likely have a hair plug. Once it's wet, water can sneak by a hair ball. Dunno about your particular model, but my Winnie shower has a one way valve called an in-line P trap or something. So I don't want to poke anything down there.

What I use is a product from Dollar General called Mister Plumber Drain Opener. Cost is $1 here in Oregon. Wait until your plug has dried out and pour a cup of that in there. That'll eat the hair...dissolves it. It says it's safe on plastic plumbing and in septic tanks.

Really works slick. I use it in the sinks too. It even clears them up when there's no standing water but I give them a chance to dry out a bit before pouring it in just before bed and they're clear next morning.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

waterless trap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trap.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	180737  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
Site Team

That one-way valve us likely a HepvO valve. It's like a reed letting water/stuff flow one way but closes when the pressure isn't flowing to seal out the gasses. https://hepvo.com/
I acutally just got done installing one in a co-workers mom's house where the previous "friend" that did the work plumbed a 3-piece bath with no p-traps.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Is it common to use a one way type of drain in an RV shower or is it normally a P trap like in a house? We have had no trouble whatsoever with the shower drain but it' been sitting a couple months so I thought I'd pour a cup or 2 of water in each drain today and in the shower it didn't go down till a few minutes went by so I'm wondering if I need to snake it or if this is some kind of one way valve that needs a bit of pressure to open?

My 2018 31G has a anti backflow valve in the shower drain.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post

I had a similar problem last week in my Vista. I thought there was a clog so I tried baking soda and vinegar. Everything was still going down very slowly. I took off the panel under the shower to look and realized it was a HepO water valve. After watching a Utube I ordered a new one from Amazon. However I ended up opening the end of the valve near the drain, stuck my finger down the “blatter” (which I think had just gotten squeezed together) and now the drain is working better than ever! You might try it.
GiGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #7
Bill 37F

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi View Post
I had a similar problem last week in my Vista. I thought there was a clog so I tried baking soda and vinegar. Everything was still going down very slowly. I took off the panel under the shower to look and realized it was a HepO water valve. After watching a Utube I ordered a new one from Amazon. However I ended up opening the end of the valve near the drain, stuck my finger down the “blatter” (which I think had just gotten squeezed together) and now the drain is working better than ever! You might try it.
I use an electric leaf blower to winterize (blow water out) of my P traps and I think a blower might open the "batter" of a HepO valve too.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

This pic is just to let everyone know that not all showers have the bladder type valve. Just an fyi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Shower repair 5-2018 (13).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	180795  

Tags
shower