Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Shock replacement

I'm getting ready to have new shocks installed on our Itasca and am looking for input on which manf. you think is the best. So far I've looked into Bilstein (which are on it now), Koni, and Roadking. Any suggestions?
rtcadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had a 36 ft Ford Chasis Suncruiser and put the Koni’s On it.
Could drive one handed almost as good as the diesel I upgraded to.
My vote is Koni
Old 10-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You don't state which year/model that you have, but upon reading many posts here, I put the Koni FSD shocks on and like them very much. I have only had Bilsteins n my former pickup truck.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

New Bilsteins arrived today. When I get them on there and test drive I'll post back if they're any different from the OEM ones that are 13 years old.

Everything I've read said the Koni's gave a softer ride. But then those that went with new Bilsteins said the same thing.

Bilstein: $170
Koni: $ 340

I'll let you know if I still think the koni's are worth twice as much.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

New Bilsteins...
The bad - the top bolt on the passenger side was stripped - took me at least 2 hours to get it off with a breakerbar. Bruised chest, scratches all over, and soaked to the bone. I did finally get it off and ground down to where the nut would go back on at least temporarily. Not for the faint of heart.

The good - it rides a WHOLE lot better, like that feeling of floating on air. Definitely an improvement, and together with the RoadMaster RSSA steering damper it has transformed the driving of this workhorse chassis.

Since I have not experienced the Koni FSD shocks I can't really compare them to the Bilsteins, but I can say the new Bilsteins are a huge improvement over the OEM's that have been on there for the past 13 years and 40K miles. Glad I took the plunge for them - for my money, I'm a happy camper.

For any DIY'rs that tackle this - you better have the right tools as the nuts and bolts take a 1-1/4" socket - it's big heavy duty stuff. You need at least a 1/2" drive 2' breakerbar or you'll never get the locking nuts off of them. And I'm a hurtin' unit today. LOL
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement