Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question "Shift Inhibit" light in Winnebago Journey

I have a 2014Winnebago Journey 36M. Occasionally, after I've driven it for a while and turn the engine off then back on and try to put it in D or R it won't go into either gear and I get a dash warning symbol that looks like a gear **** lever. Usually, if I turn the engine off and back on a few times, eventually the light goes out and I can put the engine into gear. Yesterday, the warning light refused to go out then a "Shift Inhibit" warning came on then another dash warning light that I think said "brake air." The parking brake continued to work the entire time. I turned the engine off for over 5 minutes then when I started it up, I finally got no error messages and was able to put it in gear and back into my driveway.
What is going on and what do I need to do about it? Do I have a leak in my air brake system?
donnariley53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Make sure you turn the key to the "run" position and let the computers and gages cycle thru before starting the engine. Once started make sure the air pressure is up and the engine idle is not above 6-700 rpm. If you still have problems; call Winnebago.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Make sure you turn the key to the "run" position and let the computers and gages cycle thru before starting the engine. Once started make sure the air pressure is up and the engine idle is not above 6-700 rpm. If you still have problems; call Winnebago.

Thanks for the info, we will try this. We are such newbies!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You might get better and faster answers calling Freightliner. I think this is definitely a chassis problem. I will be interested in what you learn.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
You might get better and faster answers calling Freightliner. I think this is definitely a chassis problem. I will be interested in what you learn.
Definitely concur with MGTR, above.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you need to take it in look for a fright liner dealer. They can usually get to work on them right away and have or can have parts to fix it right away vs the typical wait game at rv places. Fright liner will do it under your warranty and have better trained employees to fix these sort of things.

Btw, you need to wait for the glow plug indicator light to go out before you turn the key on a dp. That should be long enough and only takes a few seconds.
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Donnarily53,
You also need to make sure you shut down the system properly. Make sure you put the transmission into neutral before you pull the air brake. Then turn off the engine. If you turn off the engine and the transmission is in drive, you will sometimes get the shift inhibit warning. Try shutting it down properly (slowly through each step) and then (slowly) start, release parking brake, then press D or R. It should work.
Let us know what you hear from Freightliner.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Make sure you turn the key to the "run" position and let the computers and gages cycle thru before starting the engine. Once started make sure the air pressure is up and the engine idle is not above 6-700 rpm. .
X2, the engine and transmission control modules, don't like to be interrupted during their power up cycle. Even if the engine is warm.
Air pressure should be 100psi +, both gauges, before you try to move the coach. I wait till I hear the air dryer spit, indicating full pressure, before I try to move.
Your park brake is spring applied and air pressure released, if you don't have enough air pressure built up you can't release the brake.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all of the very helpful suggestions. We are going to try out some of the suggestions and if the problem persists, we will contact Freightliner, but are pretty confident that the suggestions to wait before starting or putting the DP into gear will correct the issue.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If you find the time a course at "Camp Freightliner" would be extremely helpful in understanding things. Probally the best 3 day that I spent.
grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Maybe next year, hubby was still working this year. I saw the camp booked up quickly this year.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnariley53 View Post
Maybe next year, hubby was still working this year. I saw the camp booked up quickly this year.

They do book up early but if you think you might be able to make it you can register and later withdraw which allows someone on the waiting list to attend you can't and if you withdraw several weeks ahead of the camp. Just my thought.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I think I have the answer to this? allison has a feature and will go into range inhibit when the brakes are released and the transmission selector (key pad or lever) is put into gear (D or R) without your foot on the brake pedal. You can test this by parking on a level spot with you foot OFF the brake pedal push your yellow button in and then select Drive and put your foot on the throttle, you might get a 100-200 rpm rise but the range inhibit light will come on and basically deactivates the throttle position sensor thus eliminating an accidental 1200-1500 RPM slam into gear.
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

You might be correct that sometimes the brake is not engaged, but we think it has something to do with an air leak. We have a Dec appt at LD and will have a definite answer after that. We have noticed that one of the 2 brake lines will lose pressure while the other keeps a pressure reading of 60. Our best guess is that there is a slow air leak somewhere in the system, perhaps in the air bag. If we are patient after we start the RV, the pressure will come up and the warnings stop.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Hi donnariley53,
Sounds like you're on the right track with the air leak. I'm sure you probably know this, but that can be a serious problem if the air compressor can't keep up the demand with the air leakage while driving and using the service brake. Hope you can leave it set until you get it repaired.

Be safe, and let us know what you find out.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman-az View Post
If you need to take it in look for a fright liner dealer. They can usually get to work on them right away and have or can have parts to fix it right away vs the typical wait game at rv places. Fright liner will do it under your warranty and have better trained employees to fix these sort of things.

Btw, you need to wait for the glow plug indicator light to go out before you turn the key on a dp. That should be long enough and only takes a few seconds.
Newer engines don't use "glow plugs", they use a heater grind in the intake which is why you can't use starting fluid (ether) in them anymore. I say newer and that's around 2000 and newer. Don't know how much before 2000 they went to the grid heaters though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We are at LD now and they advise there were 2 leaks in the air bags. Brake lines are holding pressure (and no alarms or shift inhibit message)! 😄

Of course this was a warranty repair, but we have heard that one needs a tool bag and a sense of humor to own an RV, but a fat wallet doesn't hurt either.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

"...one needs a tool bag and a sense of humor to own an RV, but a fat wallet doesn't hurt either"

Love this!

At least I have a tool bag and sense of humor!
hutchg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, winnebago