Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Sharp Convection microwave issue

Ok guys I have a 2006 Itasca Sunrise 33v. Haven’t owned it long but have been very impressed with the quality thus far. I’m fixing a few issues with it and the main issue is the Sharp Carousel convection microwave. The microwave and oven work great although it will only stay running for exactly 1 minute. You can push start at the end of every minute and it starts up fine but then cuts off after one minute. I’ve cooked multiple times in it and it works great if you wanna stand there and restart it every minute. I’ve tried multiple things to get it keep running. The manual wasn’t with the Motorhome when I bought it. I’ve looked at the Manuel online and can’t find anything that would help. I’ve tried unplugging and hoping it would reset. I’ve used it on the generator and on shore power and it acts the same. I’m hoping someone has had this problem or knows what the issue is. Thanks for any tips or advice in advance.
TruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I think this may be one that is better chases from the Micro folks end and see if one could get an exact manual for the one you have. Perhaps a simple case of them thinking it works one way and we are using another? Not to say you don't know how to run a microwave but I do find the tricky devils seem to come up with some really weird plans that I don't always understand.
Second though is much worse as I might guess that the board is bad and that gets into just replacing the whole as the cheaper option.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Well my cousin has the exact microwave in her Tiffin and she tried to help me but it did the same thing with her. She has no problem with hers.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I think I might have possibly found the problem. I think it may be the damper motor and or switch.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver View Post
Well my cousin has the exact microwave in her Tiffin and she tried to help me but it did the same thing with her. She has no problem with hers.
Yes, always slow to say you don't know what it needs as you are lots more up on that ! Sounds like you are getting closer.
Lots of those little chips that do the thinking in microwaves. Sometimes they just lose their minds and refuse to work any more. Kind of like retired guys, huh?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I think this post will have your answer and fix: Ok, who knows about Microwave/Convection ovens?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I think this post will have your answer and fix: Ok, who knows about Microwave/Convection ovens?
Thanks, yeah that definitely helped
Old 02-19-2020, 03:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We replaced the standard microwave in our Minnie Winnie with a convection microwave. I don't remember the virtually unknown brand name but the "operating instructions" were virtually worthless and we had the same issue as the OP. Information on that brand name was nonexistent on the internet.

The DW did a lot if internet searching and eventually found a Cuizenart version with the same display and keypad, and downloaded its owners manual. It worked like a charm!!!
Old 02-19-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Microwave oven issure

Trucker,

There is a tiny motor that opens and closes a door on the oven box to prevent heat from going outside the box when convection is selected. The oven will shut down. Replaced mine works fine. Only problem was getting the unit out. Heavy!
Ramblin Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
Former Winnebago Class A

Yep...

I had the same issue. Stopped every 59 seconds, and it is a common problem. It is the damper switch or damper door and will cost about $120 to fix if you use a appliance repair service, or, about $10 if you fix it yourself... DO NOT go pay $hundreds to replace the microwave....
Old 02-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Sharp Microwave

If you have a model R1510, R1511, R1512, or R1514, I have a digital copy of the manual. i have a R1510 in my 2006 Adventurer 38J.
Oachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver View Post
TruckDriver,
Well, as usual, Chris comes through with appropriate info and/or paperwork. Yes, the *59* dilemma has plagued many of us with those model microwaves. And yes, it's more than likely the damper motor. My son's father-in-law just had the same exact issue with his '07 Tour. Yep, it's about a $10-$20 fix if you do it yourself which, is incredibly easy. It's a lot harder to get that microwave off the wall and down to work on it, than it is to do the actual repair. I have the actual part number in my log book of repairs to the coach. If you'd like it, that is if you haven't already fixed your issue, I'd be glad to share it with you.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Just be mindful that in most motor homes the circuit is not going to be a 20 or 30 amp circuit like in a home and may not be a dedicated circuit either which is why most will have convection microwaves that are rated at about 850 watts. Currently Home Depot only offers a Sharp 1.1 CuFt 850 watt Convection Microwave and no longer carries the MagicChef or HotPoint.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sharp-1-...74TY/100489234

Be aware that most microwaves are rated by the output wattage of the magnatron so an 850 watt convection microwave will likely draw about 13 amps/1,500 watts and over 1,000 watts output can require a dedicated 20 amp circuit and not a shared 15 amp circuit.

Somethings to consider when actually facing replacement.