Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2023, 08:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Shakedown Cruise 2017 Vista 31BE

Good morning. Drove the new rig up to NC last night. As some of you may know most of I-95 in SC is in shambles, frankly it's 3rd world and whoever is in charge of road conditions should be ashamed and tarred and feathered.

As the 200 miles of 95 in SC went by there was a steadily increase clacking sould that got worse and worse, the sound seems to be coming from the top right corner of the slide out, basically right above and behind the driver left sholder. My brother and I took turns driving and hunting for the source but no luck. The slide went out normally this morning. Did not seem to be the bed or seat belt. I could feel it on the rack.

Any thoughts on what this sound might be. Metal on metal clacking sound is the best description I can give.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I think it might be the aluminum track the bed sits in but will need to be underway to test that theory.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Lawnarjax,
This thread might be provide some guidance:
Pounding rattle noise driving me nuts
or perhaps this thread:
Itasca Sunstar 30T Noise Behind Driver's Head
or maybe:
Rattles in Vista while driving
OK; last one:
Rattling Slide: 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
Eagle5
Old 06-10-2023, 03:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the suggestions I will investigate that further.

Other thing I discovered was a leak in the water lines under the bed. I guess to save some money they mixed the pex with some white braided hose and used plastic connectors. We replaced all the white hose with pex and all the plastic connectors we could see with brass. Took less than an hour. Also repositioned the pump as the installer fastened it to the floor bit the pump was resting on the tank so the noise was transferred into the tank. They were in a hurry.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:32 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The white nylon braided flex hose is intentional. It supposably blocks some pump noise and vibration, because Pex, being stiffer, can transmit all of that noise throughout the rig.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That makes sense and I suppose that could be the case, but they fastened the pump to the floor touching the tank so any noise reduction by the tubing was negated by the drum they made out of the tank. It way quieter now and not leaking so I'm good with it. Good info thanks
Old 06-15-2023, 08:07 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I can remember the slide track rattling in my ‘17 BE sometimes. They are “loose” when the slide is in and mine would always rattle a little bit. Also, there may be a loose balance bracket that can move up and down.