Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Sewer Slinky-how much to carry?

My rig came with a 15 foot Rhino and two 9 footers that can fasten together for 18 feet. Storage is at a premium on my Via, plus I don't want a sewer hose inside a compartment. I managed to squeeze a 46" tube under the rig that will fit one of the 9 footers and I can pack the other 9 footer into a compartment for emergency, or get another 46" tube if it turns out to be needed often. The 14 footer is out of the question, it doesn't fit anywhere underneath. Is it likely I'll need the extra 9 footer? How much do you carry?

Also the PO carried 4 heavy rubber wheel chocks, I can't see needing those in a camp, the electric parking brake works fine, what would I need those for? The only thing he didn't have are leveling blocks.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The most I have had to use at a campground is 2 of the 9 footers. One campground, it was tight but it worked. I typically only need the one though. I've never needed wheel chocks but have needed to use leveling blocks in a couple of "level" campgrounds. I have an Aspect but would think this would apply for your application, as well! Good luck with your Via!

Al
Old 12-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thanks Al, that gives me a good perspective. Do you know of any lightweight but sturdy drive-on leveling blocks?
Old 12-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Brian, these are the ones I use: https://www.amazon.com/OxGord-Levele...s%2C249&sr=8-8

Al
Old 12-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
Site Team

I have two ten-footers, and normally just one of them is fine. However, when I do use both, I have to flush twice!
Ha-ha-ha.
Eagle5
Old 12-18-2020, 03:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If it were me I would keep the 15' and one 9', thats if the 9 will hook to the 15. It just does not take much distance to meet a 9 footer, by the time you drop down from the rig connection you may have lost 2' already.

I would think the chocks are to keep the unit alittle more stable. Even though you have the park brake on there is alittle wheel movement when walking. With the chocks that stops the movement somewhat. Just a leveling question you unit does not come with leveling jacks?
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the help, I guess after a few trips I'll know more!
Old 12-19-2020, 12:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Thanks Al, that gives me a good perspective. Do you know of any lightweight but sturdy drive-on leveling blocks?
We use 2 sets of the Camco yellow plastic stackable blocks. One set is (I think) about 10 x 10 for the front and the other is about 10 x 20 for the rear duallys.

WalMart caries the smaller ones but I had to get the bigger ones from Amazon.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

As for the "stinky slinkies" we carry a 15 footer and a 10 footer. We normally use the 15 unless we're literally parked right next to the dump recptical.

Only had to use both hoses once which was at a campground in Calgary where the utilities were located at the back of the space.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I'm a little longer than y'all so positioning the MH to satisfy a dump run is not a very good option. I do carry extra hoses as a necessity and I have used the extra length several times. I even have a 5 footer which I have used twice.

Now with that out of the way, I have always carried my sewer hoses in the compartment. Following ablack tank dump with grey water dum, I use This Sewer Line Rinse apparatus after each dump, There is no smell in my compartment. (Sold at Walmart and other RV stores.)

I think the worse case scenario that you could run into would having to move the RV to dump if you only had one hose that was to short. If you can store, or make room to store, I would opt for an extra length of sewer hose just for that instance when you will need one.

Of course, like anything else, if you have an extra you'll never need it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have the Rhino 15 footer, then two 10 foot extensions.

At the last RV park I was at, that 35 feet was just enough. At this RV park, since I had to nose my roof top Trav'ler DTV antenna out from under the tree right opposite the front door, it's also just enough.

I am in a Class A and just barely have enough room for all that equipment in the compartment. I also carry a 'Sewer Solution' setup with 70 feet of hose that includes the original 10 foot, plus a 10 foot extension, and I added 50 foot of hose. Not sure I'll need that very often but I did this year visiting my daughter at her new house.

My point is that in 17 years of full timing, sometimes it really helps to have extra. I'd say I need to use 20 feet at most of the RV parks I stay at.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Length does matter. Some of us just can't jockey our MH around in a site to satisfy a longer sewer line run.

p.s., I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a big box

I carry a Polychute that's 2 sections- making 25' together. I've had that for 14 years. I also carry a smaller 10' Valterra for close connections. I store it all in a big box attached to my hitch (we rarely tow anything but if and when we do it comes off pretty easily). I also stow my portable entry step in there and my tire covers. I have back problems so this thing has saved me many times. About the chocks- almost never need them- we're level most of the time and am in a class a with levelers, but I still carry a graduated set for the fronts in addition to the "lego" things that I hate. I know a contractor who says he's got a custom wood set made for me but I've never seen them....

https://www.stowaway2.com/standard-cargo-carrier-ivory
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Water macerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
My rig came with a 15 foot Rhino and two 9 footers that can fasten together for 18 feet. Storage is at a premium on my Via, plus I don't want a sewer hose inside a compartment. I managed to squeeze a 46" tube under the rig that will fit one of the 9 footers and I can pack the other 9 footer into a compartment for emergency, or get another 46" tube if it turns out to be needed often. The 14 footer is out of the question, it doesn't fit anywhere underneath. Is it likely I'll need the extra 9 footer? How much do you carry?

Also the PO carried 4 heavy rubber wheel chocks, I can't see needing those in a camp, the electric parking brake works fine, what would I need those for? The only thing he didn't have are leveling blocks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ALSO: I've seen some people store their stinky slinky inside the hollow steel bumper.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I have the Rhino 15 footer, then two 10 foot extensions.

At the last RV park I was at, that 35 feet was just enough. At this RV park, since I had to nose my roof top Trav'ler DTV antenna out from under the tree right opposite the front door, it's also just enough.

I am in a Class A and just barely have enough room for all that equipment in the compartment. I also carry a 'Sewer Solution' setup with 70 feet of hose that includes the original 10 foot, plus a 10 foot extension, and I added 50 foot of hose. Not sure I'll need that very often but I did this year visiting my daughter at her new house.

My point is that in 17 years of full timing, sometimes it really helps to have extra. I'd say I need to use 20 feet at most of the RV parks I stay at.

I use my sewer solution all the time. I junked the slinky.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I carry a gross amount of sewer line. Never used more than 25 foot but have loaned some out several times so fellow campers didn't have to break camp to get to a dump site.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #17
2016 Winnebago View 24J

My take: it depends on your travel style. We prefer to move from place to place a lot (the journey, not the destination) and typically stay only 1 or 2 nights in one spot, usually dry camping. Dump every 2nd or 3rd day at the dump station when we leave. We almost never need anything longer than the short hose that stores in the storage tube (6' or so). This also means we never have to pay for a full hookup that isn't needed. We can always pull close enough to the dump port to reach. We do carry a 15' hose just in case, but have only needed it once in 4 yrs - will leave it behind next year. This travel style also means that the black water sloshes around a lot, keeping the tank relatively 'clean'. I have NEVER had to flush the tank to rid it of smells except for an extended stay in our yard by a grandson.
All that said, if you like to stay in one spot for a while & stay hooked up all the time, you probably will need longer hoses to reach some dump ports.
Neither travel style is right or wrong, just different.
RayJorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:40 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

My toilets are each equipped with a macerater. Pulverizes before it gets to the tank. If I didn't have that I'd most likely have the sewer solution.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We were full-time in our Reyo 25T and chose to use an electric macerator and 25’ garden hose for dumping. It was more of a process for sure but, everything was clean and non-stinky after the job and could be stored compactly in a small compartment. I would never use a stinky slinky after living with a macerator.
SpudNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:06 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudNYC View Post
We were full-time in our Reyo 25T and chose to use an electric macerator and 25’ garden hose for dumping. It was more of a process for sure but, everything was clean and non-stinky after the job and could be stored compactly in a small compartment. I would never use a stinky slinky after living with a macerator.
If I were to go that route I may consider installing a macerator toilet.