Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Searching for Oil Drain Plug in 2007 Vectra

I am wanting to change the oil and filter in our 2007 Vectra but not sure where exactly the oil drain plug is. Could someone please let me know where I can find it and better yet take a picture and post it?

I have looked twice underneath the chassis under where the engine is. This will be my first time to change the oil/filter.

Thank you in advance anyone who can help.

Lon
lonseiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Look on the oil pan
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
Look on the oil pan
Alarm bells are going off because not everyone knows what an oil pan looks like. Over in the Chevy Colorado forum some people have partially drained their transmissions thinking they were draining their oil. They even went so far as to refill the engine with oil--an engine that had not been emptied.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Some people have replaced the drain plug with a screw in tube and valve. You could have one of these instead of the typical bolt. I forget what they are called. Maybe someone else knows what they are called and can provide a picture.

Make sure you are looking at the engine oil pan and not the bottom of the transmission.

The oil pan and drain plug looks just like the oil pan on cars or trucks with rear wheel drive. So if you have changed oil on a car it should be the same.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Some people have replaced the drain plug with a screw in tube and valve. You could have one of these instead of the typical bolt. I forget what they are called. Maybe someone else knows what they are called and can provide a picture.
I think its called a Fumoto valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1997-Americian-Dream-Web-site-page-oil-change-DSC_8610.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	175026  
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Alarm bells are going off because not everyone knows what an oil pan looks like. Over in the Chevy Colorado forum some people have partially drained their transmissions thinking they were draining their oil. They even went so far as to refill the engine with oil--an engine that had not been emptied.
These are the people who should utilize a shop to peform the task.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

You grumpy old men need to cut "lonseiger" some slack. ...And I'm surprised no one has recommend lonseiger to "ask his wife?"

But seriously, if you are not participating on this forum to offer help to a fellow RVer, then why are you here?

The fact the lonseiger is willing to do this job is a good start and over time he will get better. ...And by next year, maybe he will be changing his own transmission filters? So I say again, I think it's great lonseiger is willing to change his oil, because there will be so many other things he will graduate to, in order to better enjoy his travels!

lonseiger: Here are some oil change tips:

* Where latex gloves.

* Be prepared to catch 22-24 qts of fluid out of your oil pan if you have an ISC-350. That's means you will need a very large bucket/wash pan! ...Or I like to use two empty 2.5 gal DEF containers to catch the warm oil, and I place these containers inside a few large garbage bags to catch the overflow. (Just be prepared to "plug" the oil drain when one jug fills up; and yes you will make a mess!)

You will need a larger than normal oil filter wrench to fit over your oil filter or you could use a strap wrench to un-spin (and later tighten) oil filter. Just remember to prime your filter with oil before you screw it back on; and apply some oil to the filter o-ring on top before you tighten it back up.

* Try to find a DEF filler-neck-funnel left behind in the trash by a pickup diesel truck driver. These things are great and I use them all the time to refill oil, fuel additives, and transmission fluid. ...They work great because they have a built-in vent hole; and the flexible tube is over 1 foot long. ...And you will definitely want one of these, because it will make putting oil/fluid back in your engine easier. ...And how many of you grumpy old guys knew that?

==> And now that you know how to change you oil, do it. ...And the next time you need your oil change you can do what I do: Just take your coach to a Super Walmart willing to change your oil... and tell them you provide the oil filter (and wrench).

You will find only 30% of the Super Walmarts with "big doors" will do it. It's up to the management and they will only charge you $19.99 for this service, because they don't have a diesel truck code to enter into their system.

Tip: What I do is call the Super Walmart hours ahead of my arrival, when I am traveling on the road. Alternatively, I have pulled into a oil quick change shop, but most of these do NOT have "big door" and/or their driveways will not accommodate my 40' RV with a tow car. Their price will be in the $50 range. And alternatively, you can also got to diesel truck stop service shop to change your oil, but they call it a PM and charge $180-$200 and use cheap oil and up to $300 for full synthetic.

==> I like to use 15W-40 Chevron Delo 400 SDE, full synthetic (at Walmart only $13-15/gallon).

==> I like to change my oil from 12,000-15,000 miles or at the the end of my second year of travel or at the beginning of every 3rd year. ...And I think owners who change their oil every year are nuts or have too much money or both!

==> That Fumoto Valve is a good idea if you intend to do future oil changes yourself, but most don't use one. The benefit is that you can attach a hose to the Fumoto Valve to direct your oil into each of your 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 catch containers, and you will not make as much of a mess with one of these nifty things. Amazon will have the cheapest price, but I can't tell you what the oil pan bolt size is?

==> I can tell you the oil drain bolt has a washer. It's Cummins Part #3920773 and it costs $4.50ea. However, one washer will last over several oil changes! ...But the time it leaks is a bummer to change it out. (I just use RTV silicon to stop the drip and then on the next oil change I swap-out the metal o-ring.)

==> Note: You need to also pickup the right fuel filter wrench and carry one of these, and extra fuel filters with you. And again Amazon will get you the best price.

==> Get yourself a notebook to log your travels and your maintenance. You will be glad you did! Welcome to this forum! ...And search YouTube.com for all sorts of helpful DIY videos.

==> Definitely learn how to work on your RV. You will get better over time and with helpful tips off this forum and www.IRV2.com you will save time and money! ...But if you can get your DP oil change a Walmart for $19.95 why bother DIY?

==> No matter if you do the oil change or get Walmart or a pro shop to do it, re-tighten your oil filler in a 1,000 miles. And it's always a good idea to check under your engine every time you start your engine... while it's coming up to temperature.

==> I see you (lonseiger) live in Corpus Christy. FYI, I worked with Robby at Coastal Diesel this summer; and I think Coastal Diesel is a good shop you can trust. They are also a certified Onan dealer. Call them at 361-289-6033.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEF Funnel Is The Best.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	175067  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
These are the people who should utilize a shop to peform the task.
An 'atta boy" is given to the owner for at least trying. Experience, good and bad, is the best education.

Shops are overated and expensive. Sometimes they can't even service right what they sell.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Yards and yards of babble but nobody tells where the plug is!!
I don't know where it is on that RV but I suspect they have figured it out by now or figured it not worth the effort.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
An 'atta boy" is given to the owner for at least trying. Experience, good and bad, is the best education.

Shops are overated and expensive. Sometimes they can't even service right what they sell.
I was not specifically referring to the OP but to goodspike post about people putting oil in there transmisssion and draining the wrong equipment.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonseiger View Post
I am wanting to change the oil and filter in our 2007 Vectra but not sure where exactly the oil drain plug is. Could someone please let me know where I can find it and better yet take a picture and post it?

I have looked twice underneath the chassis under where the engine is. This will be my first time to change the oil/filter.

Thank you in advance anyone who can help.

Lon

My best advice is to get the service manual for that chassis to become more familiar with the exact specifications on the services required by it and how to best perform them especially if you are new to working on a large diesel engine

The 2007 Vectra was built on a Winnebago Designed Evolution FreightLiner Chassis with a Cummins® ISL 8.9L turbo-charged diesel engine.

Here is a video on the 8.3L:
Old 09-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Every time these issues come up I wonder how when I was a teen my father conned me into doing maintenance on our vehicles. I can understand changing the oil and plugs on my dirt bike and our boat, but why was I rotating the tires on my mom's car? I think I enjoyed it.
Maybe I should have become an auto mechanic, but then I would have probably soon hated it.