Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Satalite for 2021 Vista 29V

I am wanting information on how to install Dish TV (on the go or is it called month by month) under a Winegard G3. If anyone has done that I would appreciate pointers for installation
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I assume by Dish TV you nean Dish Sat Service, and not DirectTV Sat Service. Following is based on that ...

Winegard's website describes the G3 as Dish service capable for the 3 Dish Western Arc Sats (110, 119, 129). It says it is compatible with the Dish Wally receiver. You'll just need to buy a Wally receiver and run one RG-6 coax to the Wally. The Vista has provision to connect the Wally Coax to a connector in the basement and then use internal wiring to get to the location inside the RV where the Wally can be placed and feed the main TV's HDMI cable.

The Wally will power and control the G3. You can get a no-contract Wally for about $ 89.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I assume by Dish TV you nean Dish Sat Service, and not DirectTV Sat Service. Following is based on that ...

Winegard's website describes the G3 as Dish service capable for the 3 Dish Western Arc Sats (110, 119, 129). It says it is compatible with the Dish Wally receiver. You'll just need to buy a Wally receiver and run one RG-6 coax to the Wally. The Vista has provision to connect the Wally Coax to a connector in the basement and then use internal wiring to get to the location inside the RV where the Wally can be placed and feed the main TV's HDMI cable.

The Wally will power and control the G3. You can get a no-contract Wally for about $ 89.

Thanks will the Wally deliver programs to the other TVs
Old 01-13-2021, 07:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Will the Wally send programs to the other tvs
Old 01-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJTroyer View Post
Will the Wally send programs to the other tvs
No. One Wally one TV. That said there are some geeky ways to double feed the output of the Wally to more than 1 TV.

There is a Dish Playmaker Dual that allows 2 Wallys, both have to be watching channels on the same Sat. Other catch is higher cost.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=powercat_ras;3884945]No. One Wally one TV. That said there are some geeky ways to double feed the output of the Wally to more than 1 TV.

There is a Dish Playmaker Dual that allows 2 Wallys, both have to be watching channels on the same Sat. Other catch is higher cost.[/QUOTE

Thanks Again
Old 01-14-2021, 07:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again
Old 01-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2017 29ve. This is what I did. First the output out of the Wally is HDMI. No coax out. The Wally remote is an IR remoteand works thru the walls. I thought this was great . I bought a 3 way HDMI splitter, came out of the Wally output HDMI to the splitter and ran three new HDMI cables to the dining RV the bedroom tv and the outside tv. All tvs will see the same signal from the Wally but the remote works when you are luring in bed or sitting outside is great. It was a bit of an effort to run the cables but by doing that I left the cable input and antenna input alone. So technically I could have one tv on cable or antenna and another one on Wally. One other thing I did was have a single dedicated coax input line to the Wally. I did that by putting a box in the front wheel well and running the line up the c channel that the seat belts mount to. Then my 50 foot coax to the dish gives a lot of flexibility on where to put it dish
It works great. I traveled to Alaska last year. Had signal in Valdez, Haines, Homer, Seward
If you want more details, ask. My dish is the Winegaard Pathway 2, which does both East and west.
Westy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2001 Journey that was outfitted with miles of cable and satellite dish and TV boxes and, and, and. I pulled all cabling out and filled up the garbage can including the satellite dish. Then I bought a Teltonica 240. device and used it with Roku TV's.
Under my cell plan I added another SIM card for 10 bucks a month unlimited data access and my TV reception is perfect. The Teltonika takes a cell signal and converts it to WIFi. Then for those troublesome places where the cell signal sucks I bought a cell amplifier. Teltonica 160.00 amplifier 499.00 and no monthly fees. Roku has more selections for free than anyone can imagine. I have this same setup in my house. No cable, no internet charges...ever! Works great.
Cajunmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:59 PM   #10
2017 Vista 29ve

I mounted my Walley behind the bedroom TV. I wired my camper with Cat5e ethernet cable, with an eight port switch. Then my walley output goes to an ethernet TX device, and all the TVs have RX devices(ethernet), so all TVs see the same Walley output. Also I have 3 RF Dish remotes (1 for each TV) and they all operate their respective TVs, and can operate the Walley. I also use the ethernet lines for interconnecting the RV to a local AP access point, and I only have to connect my AP the a local network, and all my devices are behind the RV firewall. Anyway, I did it in a more complicated way, but all TVs with their own remotes work. The sat connection is a dedicated cable run down to the Wet bay. From there I use a 50 foot cable outside to place the Sat Dish wherever needed.

That's how I did it on my 29ve.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy67 View Post
I have a 2017 29ve. This is what I did. First the output out of the Wally is HDMI. No coax out. The Wally remote is an IR remoteand works thru the walls. I thought this was great . I bought a 3 way HDMI splitter, came out of the Wally output HDMI to the splitter and ran three new HDMI cables to the dining RV the bedroom tv and the outside tv. All tvs will see the same signal from the Wally but the remote works when you are luring in bed or sitting outside is great. It was a bit of an effort to run the cables but by doing that I left the cable input and antenna input alone. So technically I could have one tv on cable or antenna and another one on Wally. One other thing I did was have a single dedicated coax input line to the Wally. I did that by putting a box in the front wheel well and running the line up the c channel that the seat belts mount to. Then my 50 foot coax to the dish gives a lot of flexibility on where to put it dish
It works great. I traveled to Alaska last year. Had signal in Valdez, Haines, Homer, Seward
If you want more details, ask. My dish is the Winegaard Pathway 2, which does both East and west.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunmech View Post
I added another SIM card for 10 bucks a month unlimited data access and my TV reception is perfect. Works great.
It will work great until you exceed the hotspot limit on your “unlimited” data plan.

You won’t get cut off or charged for extra data exactly, but your data will slow to dialup speeds and you will not be able to stream until the next month.

This limit varies but is usually 10 - 15 gigs per month. Which will occur quickly when streaming TV. If all you do is a long weekend trip a month you’ll be fine. But try a two-week vacation trip and you’ll be out of TV by day 4 or 5.

The data is unlimited, it’s the speed that’s limited. That’s how they get away with calling it “unlimited”.

Also the Teltonica 240 is really limited in cellular bands used in the US. It is WiFi 2.4 b/g/n only and supports 4G bands B2, B4, B12 only. The much more capable Netgear Nighthawk is dual band 2.4 and 5 ghz with WiFi b/g/n/ac and 4G Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 14, 29, 30 and 66. Yes it costs $100 more but is vastly more capable, faster and future proof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5HQQ1P
Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It will work great until you exceed the hotspot limit on your “unlimited” data plan.

You won’t get cut off or charged for extra data exactly, but your data will slow to dialup speeds and you will not be able to stream until the next month.

This limit varies but is usually 10 - 15 gigs per month. Which will occur quickly when streaming TV. If all you do is a long weekend trip a month you’ll be fine. But try a two-week vacation trip and you’ll be out of TV by day 4 or 5.

The data is unlimited, it’s the speed that’s limited. That’s how they get away with calling it “unlimited”.

Also the Teltonica 240 is really limited in cellular bands used in the US. It is WiFi 2.4 b/g/n only and supports 4G bands B2, B4, B12 only. The much more capable Netgear Nighthawk is dual band 2.4 and 5 ghz with WiFi b/g/n/ac and 4G Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 14, 29, 30 and 66. Yes it costs $100 more but is vastly more capable, faster and future proof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5HQQ1P
Thanks for the education!
Old 01-26-2021, 11:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy67 View Post
Just wondering how and wear did you run the HDMI cables to all the tv. And wear did you put the receiver and HDMI splitter. I would like to do this to my 2018 29ve. Some photos would be great. Thanks
MinnieKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Cables? We don't need no stinking' cables!