Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sat Dish on '04 Journey questions

On our new to us 2004 Journey we have a factory installed Winegard Satellite Dish, but no owner's manual. In going through Winegard's web site, I'm thinking it is a Model RM-DM46 - can anyone confirm that for me? Will this dish still provide satellite TV reception? Up top side, it is labeled Direct TV. Am I limited to Direct TV? Do I only need a Receiver box and subscription? Here in Alaska, small dishes don't work very well, but we're going "outside" for most of the winter and are considering Sat TV.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it has a crank up and compass inside on the ceiling, it likely is the DM46. You might check to see if you have the optional "elevation sensor" as well - it makes finding the birds easier if you are at about the right elevation. I put the DM46 on a class C and it was great. If it has a Direct LNB, you can probably replace it for a Dish LNB for about $25 bucks if that is what you want. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

corprimo Look up your service parts and you can get the part number of the installed antenna. Here is the link:
Service Parts List
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks - yes it has the digital elevation readout on ceiling. I'll have to check in to getting it converted to Dish with their pay as you go plan.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

corprimo, we had a 03 Journey with the same dish. It is a single LNB and you do not need to convert it just point it at the correct satellite and you are good to go. Here is a quote from the manual.
"LNB Compatible with DIRECTV®, DISH NetworkTM , and
ExpressVu (northern U.S. and Canada)"
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Grant!
Old 08-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi, horning in on this conversation.....I think we have the same system, I assume we need a contract with whichever provider we choose? We have a pay as you go set up with Dish now, so would just need to adjust the receiver i.d.?
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Be Careful

Let me post my experince after buying an 8 year old RV. : Upon going full time RV'ing we discovered most RV parks provide cable. For those that do not, the "Over the Air" antenna typically provides something. The first time we reached a location (Knight's Key) in the Keys that had no cable and nothing came in on the antenna, we then looked at subscribing to direct tv because our recently purchased 8 year old motor home had a Winegaurd satellite dish we had never yet used. In February 2015 I contacted Winegaurd and asked if our dish would work and they indicated it would. They then transferred us to sales who signed us up and initiated sending a receiver to our current location in the Keys. Upon receiving it, I installed and turned on the box which made the roof dish start searching for a satellite... however it never stopped searching...even after 30 minutes. I then called Winegaurd and explained this issue. Upon citing the dish model they explained that with our receiver it would never stop on the satellite. They explained I would need to put the receiver in the mode showing the signal strength....watch the tv as the dish searched ...and when the signal jumped up on the TV...hit the OFF button on the searching unit to stop it at that place. After about 4 attempts, I was actually able to perform this. Next issue: Many channels were being received but NOTHING for the major networks such as NBC, CBS and ABC....which are mostly what we wanted. The dozens of other channels are pretty much worthless junk. So made another call for support and after explaining the dish model and the receiver model ...I was told I could never get the network channels because the dish was a single LNB and could not get multiple satellites reception which was required to get the network channels. Having no other choice we occasionally watched the junk channels for two weeks while staying at Knight's Key in February....and that was the last we used it. Too hard to site in a satellite and it did not get network channels. And for the next several months we were paying $29 a month...for nothing. The alternative was to purchase and install the newer compatible Travlr's dish ($1500.00)....which we considered but eventually passed on because 99% of the time...RV parks cable or "over the air antenna" ...do work. So now in August... I called to cancel the direct TV and the lady wanted me to wait for yet another troubleshooting expert. After 40 min of waiting I just said ...CANCEL THE SERVICE. ...I already know it will not work and I do not need to wait for my cell phone battery to die while she tries to catch up. Soooo ... she informs me A) a return kit will be sent to me and I have 21 days to return the equipment and if not returned in time it could be a cost of up to $130. B) Cancelling the contract could cost me up to $300. Because we are full time RV'ers and use a mailing address out of Florida....the kit first goes there. I have then had it forwarded to our current location at a cost of about $30 to get it to me fast....so I can attempt to get the equipment back to Direct TV within the 21 days. Nothing about this experience has worked well .... Just FYI. A single LNB (as I understand it) is not going to get you what you want. My 2 cents.
engdpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for taking the time to share that! We have a dish we bought a few years ago and used in the fiver. Thanks again!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, journey