Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Rusting out - 8yr old Via motorhome

I’m trying to find others who have rust problems. My VIA is 8 yrs old and the bottom is all rusting out. I can’t be alone in this problem. Can someone help me? I bought this rig brand new.
wayupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi,
just a quick welcome to the forum and to let you know I moved your post about a specific question from an existing thread announcing this forum's start a few years ago.

It's always best to start a new thread for your specific question rather than tag your question on to some other thread, especially a generic announcement thread.

I added detail to your thread title as well. Hopefully others will see this and be able to respond with info.

I think the first question I'd have is... is there rust showing on parts or is it really rusting out - as in falling apart due to rust through? You're in MN, so that puts you close to the Winnebago factory if you feel this is a manufacturing defect? Also, how long is the chassis warrantied? That would be a question I'd ask as well.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I was told by Winnebago that my warranty has long run out. They said I need to find someone to repair it. The entire compartment behind the drivers side dropped out on my last trip and when I looked... everything was gone. It was just a hole. I called a local guy who does bodywork and he said he can’t fix it. It’s all very rusted. I have to empty all of the rest of the compartments and try to salvage what I can. I’m pretty upset since I bought this brand new at the end of 2011.
wayupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Team

You're talking about the bottoms of the storage compartments? First, I'm surprised the bottoms are metal. But it would seem that if there is enough good metal left that new bottoms could be welded into place. I'd suggest having a metal fabricator shop take a look at the issue.

Someone like:
Dick's Welding
440 N 15th Ave E
Ely, Minnesota 55731
(218) 365-3586

or maybe:
Trembath's Machine & Welding
2110 E Sheridan St
(218) 365-3215

Just a suggestion based on what I "think" you're talking about.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Probably NOT a help. But I did find a "compartment" "rust" thread on iRV2 Forums.

Here's a link:
Compartment Rust Repair - iRV2 Forums

The work shown there is the kind of work a welding shop would complete for you, like I suggested above.

Tags
rust, motorhome