Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Retiree’s on the Loose

Running Refrigerator on Propane

The manual says the refrigerator should be level when running on propane. Does that preclude running it while driving since it is likely it won't be level up and down hills?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
nope, you can run it while moving with no harm to the fridge.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Not a problem. I'd check your owner's manual to see if it has an 'automatic switchover' to an energy source. Depending on what model fridge you have, it may not be necessary to run it on LP while driving.

If like my NORCOLD 'three-way' with auto energy select, it will choose the most efficient (and available) energy source. E.g., 12V, LP or 110V AC.

The coach MASTER ELECTRICAL has to be ON. The fridge has to be set on AUTO & the LP turned ON.

It requires 12V DC be on (hence, the Master Electrical turned ON) to energize the circuit board with the coach batteries or the 12 V electric system.

If..... you are on shore power or generator supplies 110V AC, it will be powered via 110V AC. It will use the 12V DC heater in the fridge furnace via the inverter. If not on shore or genny, the LP will be used via the 12V DC control system. Now here's the cool part.... if you are running the engine it will use the 12 DC alternator power to run the fridge.... which means you don't have to use LP while driving!!!!!!

If you have a auto 3-way, turn the LP ON and let the system select the energy source. That way, if you shut down the engine it will auto shift to LP when not on generator or shore power…… so you don't forget to do that and ruin a fridge full of food and have warm beer.

As a side note.... check your fridge manual to be sure..... your fridge may have a time delay on reverting to LP so when you pull in to refuel you don't forget to turn off the LP!!! A safety thing... not cool to blow up your rig and burn down a gas station!

Leveling. Dometic manual says: if your coach is comfortable level for you, your fridge will be happy. Important to know that it's level fore and aft due to the design of the coils in the fridge's furnace. Side to side.... not so much. Driving is good.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #4

When driving you are shaking the fridge coolant solution so no harm is done. It’s when you stop that damage can occur....in ten minutes or less.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Retiree’s on the Loose

Thanks one and all! I do have the automatic 3 way deal, so all should be good. Appreciate the help and information. Gotta love this forum stuff...always somebody willing to lend a hand. Us newbies need all the help we can get!
Old 05-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

My fridge selects what it wants to use for cooling but I can mandate propane, which I do...propane. Inexpensive and the fridge doesn’t use much.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Often you can clear up an LP refrigerator problem by running it down the road after it set unlevel for a bit.
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:52 AM   #8

Meridian42e, yes and lightly tapping on the fridge lines 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch can work too.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Meridian42e, yes and lightly tapping on the fridge lines 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch can work too.
Wow, haven't heard about that one yet.
Thanks.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
Wow, haven't heard about that one yet.
Thanks.
In the "olden days", they used to remove the refrigerator and let it sit upside-down for 12 hours or more.

That usually fixed most problems.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #11

It might well, Dry!
Old 06-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Back in the older days we had a square Norge Refer.
But we didn't have electric.
We kept it outside for food that was canned.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #13

My parents camped with an ice box. Good excuse to go to town...need more ice.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
In the "olden days", they used to remove the refrigerator and let it sit upside-down for 12 hours or more.

That usually fixed most problems.
If I drive to Australia will that also work?

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

No prob with fridge while moving, but lots safer to turn off fridge when in motion. Food will stay cold for many hours if you don't open the door often. Driving with propane on is not a good idea.
bunny2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Drive View Post
The manual says the refrigerator should be level when running on propane. Does that preclude running it while driving since it is likely it won't be level up and down hills?
The fuel source is NOT the issue with the "level" requirement of our refers. It's a design limitation of the refer itself, ac, dc and propane being irrelevant.
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary the Wombat View Post
If I drive to Australia will that also work?
Yup, but the rolls will kill ya' getting there!

The Aussie Bridge-Tunnel starting in San Diego is long, make sure that you've topped off your tank.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny2448 View Post
No prob with fridge while moving, but lots safer to turn off fridge when in motion. Food will stay cold for many hours if you don't open the door often. Driving with propane on is not a good idea.
Sorry, but I disagree. I like to keep the fridge running and my food at a safe temperature. Never a problem in several years of RVing.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

This has been a fascinating thread of interest to all of us running gas absorption refrigerators (GAR).

I think rk911 gave the most succinct response to the original question. old crows gave a great tutorial. To springboard off old crow, the heart of these GAR's is the flat spiral cascade down which coolant travels between its gas state and liquid state. Yes, if you exceed the mfg's recommendations of 3 degrees side to side and 6 degrees front to back for an extended period, refrigerant will collect in the bends. But we have all pulled mile after mile of 6 degree grades with no problems. These things are more forgiving than given credit for. My experience goes back to one in a little 16' trailer (and kids) my dad hauled all over Arizona from the early fifties into the late sixties. (Remember dirt roads?)

As to safety running propane while doing 62 and enjoying the view? If we pull into micky d's for coffee, the cup is plastered with warnings on every surface in three languages. Big g'ment nanny state being as intrusive as it is, my feeling is that if driving with propane on is all that dangerous, they'd force us to plaster warning stickers in multiple languages everywhere. See any?

Having said that, and not needing some desk bound bureaucrat to tell me how to breathe, we run propane while rolling. If we fuel up at combination diesel/gasoline pumps we will turn the refer off until we leave the station. Why? Gasoline has a flashpoint way below zero F.

If we fuel up at dedicated diesel pumps we normally don't. Why? Diesel has a flashpoint of approx 140F. Another reason, while fueling, look over at that beautiful Peterbuilt next to you pulling that refrigerated trailer. Do you see him shutting down his propane fired chiller? Nope.

Caveat! Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. If you are smart enough to fire that big diesel up, you are smart enough to maintain nearly all of your systems. Do it and sleep better at night.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

TOLLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Yup, but the rolls will kill ya' getting there!

The Aussie Bridge-Tunnel starting in San Diego is long, make sure that you've topped off your tank.
Tolls.

Sorry. Killed the joke.

Tags
propane, refrigerator