Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Running cabin air while driving

We have a completely refurbished 2002 Brave with wheelchair lift, 40,000 miles. I do not transfer out of the wheelchair and it is tied down mid cabin while driving. Dashboard air conditioner works great in the cockpit but doesn't do much to cool the cabin while driving.
Since we shouldn't run the generator while driving, any ideas on how to cool the cabin?
Wilberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There is no reason you should not run the generator while driving, people do it all the time, that's what it's for.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here's a recent discussion and poll, out of the 98 people that voted 96 run their generators while driving and 2 voted maybe https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/driv...ng-590992.html
Old 08-22-2022, 03:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We ran our generator frequently when traveling in our 27N. Texas heat made that a necessity if the grandkids were in the back. I think you are OK running it (and your cabin air) unless there is something unique to your rig that I am not familiar with. Safe travels!
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Run that generator and turn on the A/C. It's fine to do, it's safe and it's done by most everyone.

Don't do it in a travel trailer - but in a motorhome... YES!
Old 08-22-2022, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I agree with every response you've received. It's so nice to arrive at your destination with a cool MH. Besides, most of our generators don't get enough exercise anyway. It's good for them.

I'm curious, what kind of wheelchair lift install do you have? We have a commercial Braun UVL (Under Vehicle Lift) installed under our entry door, in place of the electric steps. It was installed by a local shop for the prior owner. Fortunately my wife's chair will fit through the entry door. We were very lucky to find our MH on Craigslist.

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I've never really got into the discussion of why not!
Some folks say they do not travel with the propane turned on but that has not entered my mind either. The frig is designed to run on propane and the small added danger from propane lines in a wreck is just not enough to worry when I'm hauling 80 gallons of gasoline!
Go for the comfort and not to worry. Yes, there is risk in most things we do but there is also risk in too much worry!
And don't get me started on the hazards of eating hamburgers and potato chips!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Keep in mind virtually all MH's with a genset also have the genset fuel pickup at the 1/4 fuel level. This is so the owner/user will not use up all the fuel at a campsite while running the genset, then be stranded.. So if your genset stops or will not start, fuel tank level is the first thing to check.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

A little FYI to add.
Mr Onam5500 ran fine while stationary but if I ran it while driving somewhere between point a and b it would shut down.
I tried several suggestions on how to fix like insulating fuel lines and finally called Onan. They said “hot gas recirculating “ was the issue. Said to take it to an Onam repair facility as they would have to install sensors and do road test to diagnose.
I then found a guy on YouTube who said to do a static run and drain carb measuring fuel in bowl. Then
Do a in lotion test and if it shut down do same test and
measure fuel in bowl.
First test-1.25oz of fuel in bowl. 2nd text-no fuel at all. He said fuel pump was bad. Put on new fuel pump and problem fixed.
Oh, and we run our geny quite often while driving as our puppy likes it cold.
Safe travels
Gentracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Is this a dedicated fuel pump on the genset or one combined for engine and genset?

Sounds like a logical thing to happen. I've also wondered about how often a fuel filter being partly blocked might be a factor.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote