Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Sound advice. I did that to every one of the running lights.
Cajunmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #22
Site Team

Ed, I hope that works out well for you. A couple of the things you said would give me plenty of worry. Bleach can really be too caustic for your Filon roof material and there are approved caulks and sealants for your coach. Home Depot tub and window caulking is not really appropriate for this application. And, the Henry's is good for buildings that don't move down the road - but RVs???

There are a couple of YouTube channels that specialize in RV roof repairs and resealing. I know you've finished and are happy with the results. I'm just saying that anybody coming along and seeing your post might want to check out the approved processes and materials for such repairs.

Hopefully, all of your fixes will work great and for a long time.

Here's a link to the PDF for the proper sealants and caulks for your 2001 Journey DL:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File..._p_sealant.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 1.14.37 PM.png
Views:	61
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	176584  
Old 12-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

The roof top running lights are a huge problem for a lot of RVers. Its so important to be sure they are water tight. If not, leakage will occur and over time a huge amount of water can creep into the little holes inside those amber lights. Mine leaked and upon the first drive of the summer season I got drenched. Water from the four running lights up top had filled in behind the dash board, around some electrical wiring, over a small computer for the dash, then down onto the brake controller, into the radio and then onto me as I sat shocked in the drivers seat. BIG MISTAKE. Check those lights and seal them up good.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:08 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Noted. The bleach product was designed for mobil home cleaning. It was a diluted premixed solution rated for a variety of surfaces. Fiberglass was one of the surfaces that was safe. Also the caulking is also rated for mobil homes and remains pliable during its life. Inaddition, the Henry Tropic-Cool is an RV designed product. I did my homework, but thanks for that sketch. Where do you obtain information such as that. I am really in search of a diagramatic view of the undercarriage.
Happy New Year!
Cajunmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:50 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunmech View Post
Where do you obtain information such as that. I am really in search of a diagramatic view of the undercarriage.
Happy New Year!
Www.Winnebago.com
Click on Owners
Click on Owners Tools

https://winnebago.com/owners/owner-tools

There are a number of choices there for plumbing, wiring, parts etc. but you have to look around to find what you need.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #26
Site Team

Part of the problem with using different sealant is that the factory OEM sealant is silicone based and other types of sealants will not adhere to it for very long.

PS. I know Henry’s is silicone based.

Tags
leak, roof