Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Roof de-lamination

Still chasing issues on my 2003 Itasca 34’ Horizon. Noticed some water leakage in a recent heavy rain. The carpet behind the passenger seat was wet/damp 😬. Up on a 10ft ladder found the caulking-silicone cracked and allowing the water to enter. Then to even more dismay sections of de-lamination. Looks as though the gel coat still has leak proof integrity but certainly lifting-bubbling on portions. What advice do you have or suggest? I’m afraid of what I’m going to hear 😬.
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have some loose areas on my 2002. They're not cracked and haven't been a problem. Now, cracked sealant is another issue altogether. I've used Eternabond on most of my roof seams, skylights, vents, etc. and plan to do the rest.

I also had a persistent windshield leak and Eternabond over the top edge of the black rubber moulding took care of it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Been doing some heavy research on the Winnebago/Itasca roofs. They’re not as I suspected, the thin fiberglass roof cap is not glued/adhered to the roof. Some bubbling or lifting can be expected. I found the biggest issue was that somewhere down the road the initial factory sealant must have cracked or broken away. Then some came along and sealed over the original with silicone! After hours of digging and scraping around I have removed the original sealant/caulking. The silicone is a nightmare to remove and my research has reflected no silicone to be used in my new roof re-sealing. Going to go with Dicor.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I know others will disagree but why not go with Winnebago's recommended sealants? In most cases, for roof penetrations and seams the part number will cross-reference to Manus 75 AM, which is available on Amazon and elsewhere. Here's the link to some info:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...t%20Sheets.pdf

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...t%20Sheets.pdf

Also, watch this video for some more information:

And, remember that not all silicone sealants are equal. It sounds like your's was sealed using an inappropriate sealant.

Dicor must have the best brand recognition name in the RV world. Winnebago uses Dicor on it's rubber roofed TTs but not on it's fiberglass roofed MHs. It won't damage the roof but isn't necessarily the best product to use, especially if adhesive qualities are important, such as the edges of Winnebago roofs where they are inserted into the aluminum channel.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks!

Thanks BobC for your input. Going to look into it

Tags
roof