Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Rodent Problem

I just heard something scurrying around the ceiling of my 2003 Winnebago Itasca Sunflyer. Any suggestions as to what common entry ports are on this vehicle for intruders?
iezzif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Dozens, perhaps?
Power cord opening, Worn or missing rubber boots around the things that go through the firewall, (these get left out if somebody gets too quick with work or wiring things?) Maybe some spots where there was work done underneath to get to things for repair and the floor was not replaced with permanent stuff. A 17 year old unit will have lots of small points depending on how well it has been maintained as well as luck. I've seen some with gaps around doors where a mouse could come in. And it is also possible for rodents to simply chew through at some point and make their own doorway!
I found I have had a mouse,squirrel chipmunk in my air handler in the attic of my house. We have fiberglass flex duct and they just chewed through the bottom of one to live in the furnace. Nice housing until we turned the furnace on!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Morich!
Old 02-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When we get a new one, we try to locate any spaces but it seems like the little critters can walk through walls if they feel like it, so I go for finding spaces where I can throw in the little rat bar squares of solid stuff. I don't want it out where I am but then the mice are more likely to get back in the small spaces like under the cabinets and where they might best find food and water, so I like to pull a drawer, etc. and find that open space which is out of sight to us. Then I also add a few in any compartments as those are often a path where they can come and go. I just hope to get rid of them before they get too happy!
I used to store one RV in a rural area and the chipmunk/ ground squirrels stuffed the air intake and filter housing on the carb full of acorns!
Old 02-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'd love to put some bait in the RV, but am afraid of them dying in a recess of the ceiling and stinking up the space while decomposing. Will probably try a hav a heart trap
Old 02-11-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iezzif View Post
I'd love to put some bait in the RV, but am afraid of them dying in a recess of the ceiling and stinking up the space while decomposing. Will probably try a hav a heart trap
They only stink for a while
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I find the poison in the bars to be a drying effect and that pretty well does away with any smell as a side effect.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If your unit has a basement heat pump, make sure the connections to the venting down near ground level are secure and sealed up. The vent ducting travels up to the ceiling underneath the rear end cap. That's an easy raceway for them to take if the seals have rotten away or they can chew them away.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

curious

Old 02-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We had a bushy tailed pack rat drop on an old Titan we had. It came in through the refer vent.
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Only thing "in" the ceiling is the ac/ heat vents in the styrofoam ... I wouldn't think it is real likely to hear critters scurrying on styrofoam. But anything on the fiberglass surface outside will be quite noisy. I have had noisy birds running across the roof many times
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Mice

We also heard the scurrying and assumed it came from squirrels playing on roof. NOT! We finally realized what was going on when we needed to turn on AC as it got warmer weather. What we saw was like snow blowing out of the vents. Apparently they love to chew on the styrofoam up there! Found a small entry place and sealed it when we thought they were out.

We ended up getting an exterminator who found dead babies up there!! They made a nest up there. The techs did a great job of cleaning out the vents, sanitizing and deodorizing.

We now use Fresh Cab, have checked all potential openings and have had no further problems.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iezzif View Post
I just heard something scurrying around the ceiling of my 2003 Winnebago Itasca Sunflyer. Any suggestions as to what common entry ports are on this vehicle for intruders?

The Sunflyer is a Basement Air Coach and if they are actually inside the roof then its likely through the ductwork going up inside the back wall of the coach. You should be having debris blowing out the ceiling vents if this is the case and potentially have low air flow from the ducts. If you lay on your back and look up under the back of the coach using a bright light you should be able to see if the duct has separated and may even feel cold air from the AC blowing back down at you. Many times though you will just be hearing them scampering about on top of the roof since its only a few inches thick.

See: Parts Catalog
Old 02-13-2020, 06:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Could it be squirrals on your roof?
Old 02-16-2020, 04:31 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Fresh Cab Rodent repellent

Try this if you haven't already. It works, but you have to change it regularly like the directions state. https://www.earthkind.com/product/fr...ent-repellent/
Old 02-16-2020, 05:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for these great insights and tips!
Old 02-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

You can always catch a black snake and turn it loose LOL!!!!!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

"Tom Cat" mouse trap and peanut butter bait... works every time. I live in a rural area with my RV in a garage, have tried all the repellants, baits, etc and still end up going back to the basics.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote