Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rock Guard on 07 Voyage 33V

I just purchased a Rock Guard (mud flap at rear of coach) to install on my Voyage. Should have looked at rear of coach first. The bottom of the rear cap is not a straight line and there is no frame behind it to mount to. Anyone had experience with this? Our toad is my wife's daily car, she does not appreciate the mess all over the front of her car.
thepratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I installed my Rock Solid brand about 2 feet foward of the rear cap. Attached it to the chassis frame. I have mud flaps at the rear wheels and with the guard installed as above no problems at all.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had a 06 33V and I attached the rock guard to a piece of angle iron and attached the angle iron to holes in the frame beside the hitch using threaded rod. Mine was mounted high and I did not have clearance for the generator exhaust, so I loosened the exhaust bolts and repositioned the pipe towards the drivers side of the coach and all worked well.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAD View Post
I had a 06 33V and I attached the rock guard to a piece of angle iron and attached the angle iron to holes in the frame beside the hitch using threaded rod. Mine was mounted high and I did not have clearance for the generator exhaust, so I loosened the exhaust bolts and repositioned the pipe towards the drivers side of the coach and all worked well.
Thanks. I will crawl under the rig again and see how you did that. I like the idea of moving the generator exaust to the side.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I have one of those expensive rock guards and it looks pretty, it evan says ITASCA on a nice stainless steel plate, but doesn't work. No matter where you mount it forward, rearward, up, down, it does not stop rocks. If you want something that works, stops rocks, gravel and really protects the front of your toad, get a ROCK SOLID from Camping World for about $80. Mount it as far back as you can. All the way back by the hitch. Thats what I did and now can tow my CR V without any damage without using any other protective device on my toad. Like ROMAD I bent some one inch square tubing to match the curve of the rear cap and mounted it to the Hitch mounting bolts. I even cut a small opening for the reciver to poke through so that there were no gaps. That is the only way you can stop stuff from getting to your toad and it works
Hope this was informative.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Chuck ...can you tell us why the "Rock Solid" guard does the job when the others don't -- how is it different? I am not familiar with it.

I agree that the typical "rock guard" full-width flap is pretty useless as anything other than advertising. They MUST be mounted at least 6 inches above the pavement at normal ride height. If they are too low they "sweep up" or suck up grit and debris making them cause more problems than they solve.

The BEST way I know to stop gravel dings on the front of the toad is with the "under-skirt" type product. It is a mesh type fabric that stretches between the toad and MH under the hitch. It totally prevents any rock, etc from coming up between the two vehicles. The only problem I am aware of with this type shield is with rear exhaust diesels melting the mesh material. One mfg'er tried a Kevlar shield under the exhaust, but that didn't work very well either.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Paul, I like the ROCK SOLID because it is flexible and if installed witout any gaps between it and the rear cap it will stop any debris from getting through. On mine I don't even have a gap fo the trailer hitch. I cut a square hole for the reciever and put an extra link for the safty chain that pokes through the guard to hook up the saftey cables. The bottom of the ROCK SOLID rides about 2-3 inches off the ground and has never swept up any debris. The reason I went to this configuration was ease of hooking up. I have used the mesh type that you are talking about and that works great but is still an expensive and extra step when hooking up. It also melts from the exhaust, as you pointed out. I also had a windshield cover that was inexpensive but again required an extra step. I'm not lazy but don't want any extra stuff to do or remember. I tried the ROCK SOLID further forward and it allowed debris to get around,over, under and didn' work. I still have the pretty but useless one that says ITASCA hanging under there as well as the flaps behind the rear wheels. I have used the ROCK SOLID mounted as described on two differant MH's for 60,000 plus miles on dirt, re paved, roads under construction, without any dings or chips.
I have never tried the brush type so unable to comment on it. I also have no involvement with Rock Solid just to be clear. I hope this explains my maddness.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
it will stop any debris from getting through
It has to go somewhere ...I wonder where??? ...you noted that previous placements further forward allowed stuff to get around or otherwise and to hit the toad. Maybe the placement at the extreme rear of the MH is the key to at least keeping it low enough not to impact the front of the toad. My Spartan chassis has a side radiator, and Spartan provided a "rock guard" free of charge to be installed at my cost due to rocks apparently getting trapped by the rear rock guard and bouncing up into the radiator/fan. That was a very expensive repair on the coaches it was happening to. The full width flap on my coach is maybe 18 inches from the rear edge of the MH.

I have a vertical shield that fastens to the tow bar at the toad attachment points. After noting some gravel dings on the REAR of the MH which could only happen from deflected stones, I have angled the vertical shield forward apx 15-20 degrees with the theory that will help the shield to deflect any stones downward rather that upward into the rear of the MH. The framework on the toad side of the shield still collects sand and sometimes very small stones, but we have not noted any damage to the toad since doing this. You can see the shield setup on my webpage at Tow Setup ...original setup at the top, and angled setup at the bottom of the page.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I actually did have the Rock Solid from CW. I have it all installed using some square tubing, log threaded rod, and exaust pipe clamps. The threaded rods hold the tubes to the hitch and the clamps hold the Rock Solid to the tubes. I have not taken it for a long trip yet. Test drive it is fine. I cut the flaps so they clear the ground by about 4 inches.

Thanks for the ideas.