Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Restoring my 2003 Adventurer

Hello everyone, new guy here. Well, not really new, have owned my 2003 Adventurer for about 4 years now. My coach is the 38G with 2 slides. We live in the coach for 6 months out of the year, during the winter. I live in Minnesota in the summer, and Mississippi in the winter, in the coach. We have been seriously thinking about trading up to a newer coach, but the cost is more than I want to spend. So, we have decided to refurbish this one. The exterior is in "OK" shape. The vinyl decals have all started cracking and peeling, the fiberglass gelcoat has deteriorated to an ugly condition. So, I have decided to give her a full body paint job. CDI Paint in Forest City, Ia is going to do the job when we go north for the summer. I have heard good things about them, and Winnebago Industries in Forest City recommended them....looking forward to this.

I want to refurbish the interior also, but have run into some snags. I want the entire floorcovering replaced, but not sure of a company that does this. I was told that any reputable flooring company can do it, what do ya'll think about that?? Also, I want to upgrade the furnature, new or reupholster..... What do you think??

I am excited about the upgrades, and will look forward to hearing what ya'll think. I thought it would be interesting to share the before and after pictures with ya'll as well, if you don't mind.
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

tbomn
we had a 2000 Adventurer, and put in lanolin and had a flooring dealer lay it. the only regret we had was they did not lay an underlayment down so the lanolin had some wrinklies in it after they were done. be careful on what you put down
Herb
2007 Adventurer 38T
herbertgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomn View Post
The exterior is in "OK" shape. The vinyl decals have all started cracking and peeling, the fiberglass gelcoat has deteriorated to an ugly condition. So, I have decided to give her a full body paint job. CDI Paint in Forest City, Ia is going to do the job when we go north for the summer. I have heard good things about them, and Winnebago Industries in Forest City recommended them....looking forward to this.
What would be an estimate for a full-body paint job in Iowa? Would love to do my Itasca in one color with a real basic second and third color design for the graphics. While I've never gotten an official estimate, I've been told $15k+. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
What would be an estimate for a full-body paint job in Iowa? Would love to do my Itasca in one color with a real basic second and third color design for the graphics. While I've never gotten an official estimate, I've been told $15k+. -RT
I was quoted $12k full meal deal....... I am going to have new slide toppers, and new patio awning added... $400-$600 depending on color and fabric. Call CDI and get an estimate, if you tell them the model and year they can give you a base price, and an estimate for all add-ons you want.

Motorhome painting, RV painting, custom paint, race vehicles

(641) 585-5900
Old 05-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

tbomn tv mount

Hey tbomn! Saw your youtube video on LCD tv install and I plan on using it on our 03 Sightseer. My question is where did you purchase the mount and what was the price. Also did I hear you right, the board was a 2x12? Some of the mounts I"ve found cost more than the new 32" TV. BY the way, post some before and after pics. when the paint is done.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Hey tbomn! Saw your youtube video on LCD tv install and I plan on using it on our 03 Sightseer. My question is where did you purchase the mount and what was the price. Also did I hear you right, the board was a 2x12? Some of the mounts I"ve found cost more than the new 32" TV. BY the way, post some before and after pics. when the paint is done.
Pepper, Actually I don't remember where I got the mount, online someplace. The cost was about $80.

Yes, that is a 2X12.. It is drilled and mounted in the steel structure that is inside the tv pod. As I said in the video, it is waaay over built, but I didn't want any issues of it moving around in there.

I will post some pic of the paint job...

Thanks,
Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have an 06 Adventurer we bought 3 weeks ago and just got some great news from my local Coach Care/Workhorse service outlet. They did a thorough inspection of chassis, roof, engine, generator/electrical, plumbing... We have a pretty good base line in which to work with.

What that means is we have a "keeper". As we get to know it better we may be interested in paint and interior work over the next couple years. I will be very interested in how your project goes along.

I am most interested in flooring. Between all the carpet lining in the cockpit and carpet/linoleum areas, under cabinets, over/under slides and under this-and-that, it seems very challenging.

BEST OF LUCK!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. Be sure and post those pics when you get it done or during the process. Good Luck and hope it turns out great.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Some before pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	22876   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass side.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	22877  

Name:	rear.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	22878  
Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Some after pictures:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(7).JPG
Views:	179
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	22879   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	22880  

Name:	pass side.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	22881  
Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

WOW! Did they come in at the 12K estimate?
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer45 View Post
WOW! Did they come in at the 12K estimate?
They did come in a $12,000 for the fullbody paint. I had them put new slide toppers and new patio awnings on. They put on the new style enclosed slide toppers, and the new style fabric patio awning on. They also put on new exterior hardware, new headlights, new tail lights, and new chrome mirrors. With tax the whole package came to $14,500.80

I am thrilled with the job... now on to the interior.

Joe
Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

That looks AWESOME!!!!! Great job!!!!