Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Request of 40TD owners

This may sound strange but I need some information from the 40TD owners with the 07 EPA Cummins ISL. That is the engine with the new style exhaust diffuser (exhaust pipe). My diffuser is not long enough to extend beyond the side of the coach and is heat treating the side wall and no, it cannot be extended. I have been in discussion with the Freightliner customer service folks and they are helpful but we are still searching for a longer diffuser. My diffuser is 11.75 inches long. I recently saw a 08 Vectra 40TD and the diffuser was at least two inches longer but I was not smart enough to get any contact info from him. My request is for any 40TD owners to measure their diffuser and if it is longer than 11.75 inches forward to me your VIN via a PM. I can then give that to Freightliner and they can access the part number of the longer diffuser. I need one that is at least 2 inches longer. The customer services guys are also checking with the engineers to see is they can find the correct diffuser. Thanks in advance.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
can you go to a chrome shop and buy an exhaust tip that goes over your original exhaust?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The short answer is no. The exhaust tip on the 07EPA engines is like nothing you have ever seen on an exhaust system.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
do you have a photo? I'm curious
Old 08-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Flier,

I have a 07 Tour 40TD but it must be a 2006 chassis because my exhaust pipe comes out the back.

You have a side exhaust in the 2008?

Let me know if my chassis can be of any help.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Smile

Navy Flier,
I own an 07 with an 06 engine BUT my friend has an 08 with the EPA engine. His is the 425 with the rear radiator on the new chassis. I have the old evolution chassis. He is out of town until Sunday but I know his exhaust extends out the side (and your's should also). What I don't know is whether or not his is an ISL? For some reason I thought they changed engines in 08?
So, I can go measure his for you tomorrow morning but which chassis do you have? and, what size engine?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

This only applies to the 08 & 09 models. Anything before that is the engine that uses low sulphur diesel. I have a Cummins 425 ISL engine with a side exhaust. You can immediately identify the new EPA engines by the new exhaust tip. They look like an alligator mouth as opposed to the older round chrome type.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Navy Flier,
Okay, so I measured my friend's 08 and it is approx 12 inches. (It may be the same as yours as I cannot tell how much in "inserted" into the flang). I have not seen a longer one so I guess I'm not much help. His extends approx 2 inches out the side and yes he must use ultra low sulpher diesel. Yes, it looks like an alligator mouth. It would appear you just need a little extension on the elbow from the particulate filter (thingy) to your side exhaust. If yours does not extend beyond the side of the coach maybe the elbow is not installed properly, or it is the incorrect elbow?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Have you called Winnebago? Can the connections be adjusted for length? I have posted pictures of my diffuser but didn't know that they came in different lengths. Has Freightliner actually looked at the diffuser? I'm just trying to understand your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Flier View Post
This may sound strange but I need some information from the 40TD owners with the 07 EPA Cummins ISL. That is the engine with the new style exhaust diffuser (exhaust pipe). My diffuser is not long enough to extend beyond the side of the coach and is heat treating the side wall and no, it cannot be extended. I have been in discussion with the Freightliner customer service folks and they are helpful but we are still searching for a longer diffuser. My diffuser is 11.75 inches long. I recently saw a 08 Vectra 40TD and the diffuser was at least two inches longer but I was not smart enough to get any contact info from him. My request is for any 40TD owners to measure their diffuser and if it is longer than 11.75 inches forward to me your VIN via a PM. I can then give that to Freightliner and they can access the part number of the longer diffuser. I need one that is at least 2 inches longer. The customer services guys are also checking with the engineers to see is they can find the correct diffuser. Thanks in advance.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Jerry J thanks for the photo. That diffuser looks just like the one I saw on another coach. And Yes, you have measured correctly. Freightliner claims they do not have a diffuser longer than 303mm. That is 11.9 inches. I think they are incorrect but have little proof. In any case I believe I have solved the problem by placing a sleeve between the exhaust pipe and diffuser. It goes over the pipe and inside of the diffuser and should add the necessary length.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Have you seen any other diffusers that were short like yours? Or is yours the only one?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yes, in fact I have. A friend of mine pulled his Vectra into the Freightliner shop while I was there and his was identical to mine. I have, however, solved the problem today by installing the sleeve I mentioned yesterday. The end of the diffuser is extended as it is supposed to be. After finally, finding the parts it cost be a whole $5.11 plus 30 minutes of my time.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Flier View Post
Yes, in fact I have. A friend of mine pulled his Vectra into the Freightliner shop while I was there and his was identical to mine. I have, however, solved the problem today by installing the sleeve I mentioned yesterday. The end of the diffuser is extended as it is supposed to be. After finally, finding the parts it cost be a whole $5.11 plus 30 minutes of my time.
$5.11 is a deal, hope all your problems cost like that. We spent 7
1/2 days at Service before and after GNR. Then went to Freightliner at Clear Lake, Ia. for 2 days. Now on the road to Denver. Still getting a check engine light first thing in the morning. Okay after that, but will have to have it checked somewhere.

(BZ RVN)