Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Replacing TV antenna

I am replacing my damaged Winegard 3 with a Winegard Sensar IV and I was planning to re-use the original base as it is sealed and bedded in with the original Nuco which is still soft and pliable. However it seems I cannot access the coax connector in the roof cavity without removing the base. My question is, should I completely remove the existing Nuco and start from scratch with new, or leave the existing Nuco in place and add some fresh to the top? Have not tried to remove roof sealants and not sure how to go about it. (The roof is fiberglass)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

No info on the details of the connections but one tool I will not work without when it comes to removing any sealer is an oscillating tools with a flat blade. I find it very easy to lay the flat blade on the fiberglass and let it cut/scrape the sealer off without it digging into the top.
Considering the low cost and how often we do need to remove old sealers, I recommend one of these as I am finding it lasting just as long as the Dremel brand name which is much higher:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...Grit/730516237
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
No info on the details of the connections but one tool I will not work without when it comes to removing any sealer is an oscillating tools with a flat blade. I find it very easy to lay the flat blade on the fiberglass and let it cut/scrape the sealer off without it digging into the top.
Considering the low cost and how often we do need to remove old sealers, I recommend one of these as I am finding it lasting just as long as the Dremel brand name which is much higher:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...Grit/730516237
Good idea, I have several of those tools and I believe I have some scraper blades without teeth.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well the multi tool with the scraper blade did a beautiful job or removing the Nuco in just a few minutes with absolutely no roof damage, however the antenna base was glued to the roof with silicone! It was a nightmare to get off and in the process I damaged some of the fiberglass. A piece of it cracked and separated from the thin veneer underneath. I cut it clean and filled it in with resin and cloth, will sand tomorrow and apply Bondo to any low spots. The good news is that all the damage is under the footprint of the antenna.
The silicone appears to have been applied by Winnebago and doesn't make sense as I thought silicone was a no no on fiberglass, unless they used something else that looks just like clear silicone and holds like clear silicone. I do see two different sealants on Winnebago's list for the antennas but both Winegard and a Winnebago roof sealant supplier both say to use just the Nuco. My fear is the Nuco combined with screws going into 1/8" of material won't secure it to the roof very well.

In retrospect I should have cut the base free with a thin wire but I did not realize I was lifting fiberglass till it was too late.

Tags
antenna