Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2021, 06:20 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Sorry you’re having problems. Ours has been great and adjusting it without getting up in the AM is a real luxury.
Thank. The good news is things are working better since I tightened the contacts on the fuse holder.
I have been sending updates to Roger, the Micro-Air engineer, on a regular basis. This is a new product and it has a few quarks. Now that the power is stable I can see the real bug issues.

Because I leave with my phone, when I get back into range the WiFi may or may not reconnect on its own. If it does reconnect the t-stat resets. This interrupts the running cycle. If the fan is in a manual mode, it is reset to Auto.
From the phone I can't see if the WiFi is connected as I can with the Bluetooth.

If I don't want to reconnect the WiFi I have to set a fake SSID.

From the phone zone 2 temperature setting stays white. On the t-stat it changes color when the compressor is called.
The Schedule has a universal ENABLE/DISABLE mode switch. You can't turn zone schedules on or off independently.
I will program the schedule for zone 1 today. It should run fine now the reason for all my previous problems is solved.
This is a very nice upgrade. Once the bugs are cleaned up I think it will be a great addition to our RV home.
Rick
Old 09-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2014 Adventurerer 37F with a RV Comfort ZC thermostat. We have 2 units in this coach. Can I replace the tstat I have with this new model t stat?
Asking because my front unit will come on and then shut right off after a min or so. Thinking maybe tstat? Back unto running fine
thanks!!
Old 09-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #23
Veteran RV Owner

Where are you guys buying this new thermostat? I would like to replace mine.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:37 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl View Post
I have a 2014 Adventurerer 37F with a RV Comfort ZC thermostat. We have 2 units in this coach. Can I replace the tstat I have with this new model t stat?
Asking because my front unit will come on and then shut right off after a min or so. Thinking maybe tstat? Back unto running fine
thanks!!
Go to the Micro - Air Easy Touch RV thermostat website and there is a routine there that guides you to the correct thermostat for your system.

https://micro-air.com/products_easyt...ouchscreen.cfm

As to it fixing your A/C units problem, well, that’s not any kind of sure thing.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis59 View Post
Where are you guys buying this new thermostat? I would like to replace mine.
https://www.microair.net/products/ea...-rv-thermostat
Old 09-24-2021, 06:44 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Update on EasyTouch t-stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl View Post
thanks!!
Yes. This Micro-Air will work for you.
Considering the short-cycling? Make certain your filters are clean and keep the vent closest to the sensor pointed away from it.
As for my RV354 MicroTouch thermostat, I love it! The control button look has not been corrected yet but will be soon with the next major update.
I now have the schedule set to choose heating or cooling as needed. At night the temps are dropping into the low 60's. (Much better that the high 80's last week.) The heat comes on to keep the coach at 67* throughout the night but cools it off in the early sleep period when the temp is a bout 73*.
One slick feature is the remote access from the phone app. My middle roof unit lost its Freon. The pipe from the compressor to the coil cracked at the coil end. I was blessed to find a local residential HVAC shop willing to repair the unit. The guy who did the work was great! When he had the leak sealed --silver solder brazed-- he wanted the unit started so he could charge the system. I was on the roof with him. I opened the app, turned on the zone and set the temperature all from my lofty perch. Just as he was finishing his work a brief rain dumped on us. Not enough to do much good but gave us a good laugh. For $160, including a gift for him to buy lunch, the unit is up and running well.
The Micro-Air thermostat is a great upgrade to my coach and I highly recommend it.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

More to the story.

I just love my new Micro -Air EasyTouch RV354 thermostat.
I have the schedule set for the heat/cool mode. When I got up this morning I was a bit cool so I turned on the fireplace, got onto the forum and just zeroed in on what's happening here. The AC units came on and that was no surprise. But then I noticed it phone was cold air??!! I look at the phone app and found out why.

The schedule has been set for 71* at 6AM. Running the fireplace brought the room temperature up to 73*. So, there you have it. The thermostat dutifully switched from heat to cool and turned the system on.

This feature is really slick. I love it. As fall settles in here in TX (for the moment) the days are warm to hot and the nights are starting to get cool. I cool the bedtime temp to a pleasant 67* for sleeping at a 9:30PM schedule and warm the coach up, in 1/2 hour schedule steps to 71* for when I get up to make coffee for DW.

I'm still getting used to the many features and quarks of this thermostat. One thing I have discovered is there appears to be a 3* differential between the heating or cooling transitions. Because I never had this feature to use with the old thermostat it was a discovery to me. I think this is built into the AC unit controllers to prevent the reversing valve from getting to many switching commands for heat/cool need.

I read one post with a great way to use the phone app. Many of us like to use the AC when traveling. This fellow adventure and RV354 owner starts his generator from the dash and then the AC from his phone app. Way to go (as long as he is not the driver I suppose.)

If those following this thread who were set back and into caution mode about doing this upgrade because of my trouble report posts, don't worry. I have no idea, nor does the Micro-Air engineer who gave me great support, know why my initial installation was so difficult and non typical. I am more than happy with this thermostat.

The original has a long industry history of being temperamental. The RV354 is truly easy to use. There is a new update coming later this fall that is a redesign of the screen to be more accommodating to those of us with the Fat Finger Syndrome. Roger, the engineer I've been supported by, is working on it. He has received several suggestions from users and the company will evaluate them and implement them as they see the value of.

Happy trails to all.

Rick
Old 10-04-2021, 07:08 AM   #28
Site Team

I agree with Rick. This might be the single most useful “modification” I’ve made to my RV (well, tied with the screen door hand bar for $25).

My wife and I read in bed before sleeping. If she says it seems cold or warm I just pick up the iPad and change the temp. Same in the early morning, as well. When away from the RV on a trip I can check the temps inside the RV on my phone over the internet and know the dog is safe. I have not setup a schedule like Rick has yet, but only because our schedule on the road is so varied.

This thermostat is a game changer and must have in my RV.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Unfortunately, "still in development" so I can't use that fancy new thermostat. And my TrueAir thermo just developed an issue too. I'll have to pull it apart again and try to get that slide switch refurbished...or maybe I'll just find a way to add a rotatory switch to replace the dang thing altogether.

Sure would like to have a programmable...but the one mentioned in this thread has been 'still in development' for years now for my model thermostat.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Sure would like to have a programmable...but the one mentioned in this thread has been 'still in development' for years now for my model thermostat.
One of the unfortunate "joys" of owning an older RV with a discontinued A/C system. I hope that one day they get that development completed and make it available for you and others with "basement A/C."

It's a treat. For those of you that can utilize this product we say go for it!
Old 10-05-2021, 05:18 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
One of the unfortunate "joys" of owning an older RV with a discontinued A/C system. I hope that one day they get that development completed and make it available for you and others with "basement A/C."

It's a treat. For those of you that can utilize this product we say go for it!
The A/C system is not discontinued, form what I see, but was not seen as a good design feature for Winnebago when the DEF systems went into play. I don't know where the basement air systems are being utilized in designs today but I know they are still manufactured.
According to the Micro-Air engineer they are having some sort of problem with the 2 stage system of the basement air. I don't know the whys or the hows. All I know is that they seem frustrated that they have not overcome this challenge. I think the thermostat in question is the EasyTouch RV356.

It would be nice if these folks with basement A/C could be blessed with what we now have.

Because of the many features of the RV354 I'm still getting used to it. But I do love the freedom of choice and the ease, for the most part, of use. My fat finger syndrome does make wrong choices from time to time when I'm at the device and not using the app. I know a fix is coming from Micro-Air to help with that problem.
Old 07-27-2023, 04:16 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

I have a question along the same lines. My zone 1 heat pump (2011 Journey express) does not come on in either heat or cooling modes. If I put it on heat it defaults to the gas heat. An electrician friend of mine climbed up on the roof and said that the unit (with me turning it on and off in both modes from the inside) never got power. He said the problem was probably the thermostat. He then mentioned that I should be able to jumper 2 pins together on the connector on the thermostat to force the unit on. That would tell me if the thermostat was bad ot the heat pump. Unfortunately I cannot find anyplace where it says what pins to jumper together. Any ideas?
Jamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 06:19 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamp View Post
I have a question along the same lines. My zone 1 heat pump (2011 Journey express) does not come on in either heat or cooling modes. If I put it on heat it defaults to the gas heat. An electrician friend of mine climbed up on the roof and said that the unit (with me turning it on and off in both modes from the inside) never got power. He said the problem was probably the thermostat. He then mentioned that I should be able to jumper 2 pins together on the connector on the thermostat to force the unit on. That would tell me if the thermostat was bad ot the heat pump. Unfortunately I cannot find anyplace where it says what pins to jumper together. Any ideas?
If your circuit breaker is on (check it) you always have 120vac at the unit. If off and the unit works, problem solved. If not? Do the following.

Shut the breakers off to the A/C units. On the bad unit open up the capacitor box located on the right side when facing the rear of the coach. Physically examine the start capacitors. If you know how to test them do so. Be careful because they do hold there charge. From another unit, borrow the capacitors and install them into this unit. (Short the terminals of the cap before removing the wires. This will discharge it.)
See if you can get the unit to run. If so you know you have a bad start capacitor.

If that doesn't work... Remove the thermostat to protect it. Open up the unit to gain access to the control box. Label all the wires and remove the controller. Remove the cover of the controller. In side are relays. Often the wires to them burn and the relays cook. If this is what you find PM me. I have spares and I will help you understand the repair needs.
Waiting to help.
Rick
Old 07-28-2023, 07:41 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

For the info on what pins do what function on the thermostat, there may be help as Winnebago uses a system of stamping ID on the small wires that feed the thermostat, etc.
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	186795

If you pull the thermostat wiring up and get to the wires added to the wires soldered on the thermostat, those Winnebago wires should have ID stamped on them!
Once you find the id stamp, using this chart to decode what each Wire does and where it goes "from" and "to" should lead to a solution for the question.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

A second way to use this chart to look for info is sometimes a big help to speed things along when we are searching for info!
If we want info on a thermostat but don't know the wire ID from charts, drawings, etc. we can work it backwards a bit.

Try pulling up the chart, hit "ctrl and F" at the same time to get a dropdown for search terms. In that dropdown, input "thermostat" and it brings a list of that term in the chart!
In this case it is a long list as thermostat is a common item, but if we want to find a wire on the thermostat, we can cycle through all the 50+ places in the list until we discover the correct ID.
Then with the correct wire ID, we can find it on drawings or other info!
To find the correct pinout info for any thermostat we often will need to go to online info for that specifc thermostat but we can combine the info from the ID chart with the info from the thermostat builder info to get what we need!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:20 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Wow, this is going to be more of an effort than I can probably tackle on the road. I should be back home in a week or so and will give this a try. Thanks for the tips and wish me luck.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:50 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Front (Zone 1 ) Heat pump/AC

Continuing on with my question about the thermostat, I have tested the thermostat, all of the capacitors (in both heat pumps) and the soft start controllers that I installed aftermarket. All test good. We then directly powered the heat pump and it appears to be working just fine. So, the problem seem to be that no AC power gets to the unit. I have checked the breakers and they seem fine. I have downloaded the wiring diagram but that doesn't really help a lot. Any ideas?
Old 08-08-2023, 04:34 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamp View Post
Continuing on with my question about the thermostat, I have tested the thermostat, all of the capacitors (in both heat pumps) and the soft start controllers that I installed aftermarket. All test good. We then directly powered the heat pump and it appears to be working just fine. So, the problem seem to be that no AC power gets to the unit. I have checked the breakers and they seem fine. I have downloaded the wiring diagram but that doesn't really help a lot. Any ideas?
Wait a sec...are you saying you ran a few wires from the L1, L2, NEU, and GND to another AC power source? That's what 'Directly Powered' suggests.

If that's the case, then is sounds as though there's something seriously wrong under the RV. And what throws me is that those wire runs are in 'Armored' cable so they are virtually indestructible. Could you clarify that?

BTW, you can't really test the motor start and run caps very well unless you're powering them and using a meter designed for those types of caps. Rather difficult for the typical DIY'er to come up with a test method that shows leakage and capacitance and breakdown leakage at 370Vac. For example. I removed all my start and run caps and replaced them all with new and that greatly improved the operation of the two fans and two compressors in my heat pump. Everything sounded so much better when it started up, and as it ran, no more thumping noises or rattling. The caps ALL measured good on my capacitance meters (I used two to test). Tossed the caps anyway.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 05:20 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Feature usage update

The EasyTouch thermostat is full of features and some surprises. I have 2 gas furnaces. The fan control is showing along with the furnace in the zone window of the t-stat. This morning I set it for Auto Low just for chuckles. What happened next was very unexpected. When the t-stat called for heat the roof A/C fan came on with the furnace running. My thinking was, This is a dumb idea because the roof air is cold. I didn't realize just how much heat was getting into the ceiling vents. In about 10 minutes the coach room was up to temperature and comfortable. I think it came up 4 or 5 degrees. I don't recall exactly. This feature is a gas saver and the circulated air gets rid of the cold pockets.
Please keep an eye on your zone settings. Some automatic updates have come across and knocked features off. This has happened twice to me in the past few weeks. When I asked Roger about it he confirmed this was a bug he is working on.
I have not tried the beta update lately. I might do that to see what he is playing with these days.

Tags
thermostat