Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Replacing Michelin 255/80R 22.5 with Toyo M154 265/75R 22.5 - any issue with size?

Hello,

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35B that has the original Michelin 255/80R 22.5 tires. They look decent but that have a 2013 date code so I feel it's time to replace them. After going through so many of the threads we are highly considering getting the Toyo M154 265/75R 22.5. From what I can tell they are about 3/8" wider wider than the Michelins. Will I have any issues with the rear dually tires?

I'm a newbie and appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!!
LloydCODell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum!

I’ve got a 2015 Vista 35B, always great to see another “Bunker” out there!

I was in a similar spot this spring, my coach had the Michellin 235/80 R22.5 tires and was due for replacement due to age and some rapidly growing sidewall cracks. The size is exclusive to Michellin so I was either stuck with them or switching sizes and a different brand. My tire installer (a decent sized New England chain) was having difficulty finding 6, which when combined with the price had me start looking around. (My logic was if they can’t find now, what’s going to happen when I’m on the side of the road and REALLY need one)

I went with Bridgestone Ecopia in the 255/75 R 22.5 tire size. The difference is minimal, about 1/3 of a inch wider and 4 revolutions per mile difference, very minimal. All in I think I paid about $345 per tire plus the usual extras (install, disposal FET etc). I’ve had severe friends make the jump to Toyos and have been very happy, they weren’t an option for me at the time or I would have given them a hard look as well. They seem to get great reviews online from other owners.

I’ve only put about 100 miles on them so far (there was still snow here 3 weeks ago!) but I’m happy with the ride and handling.

Here is a guide for size comparison that might help:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Other then that. I’d talk to your tire shop as they should be able to talk about the size change and any impacts. Lastly, you might also get some data off the sister site to this one, IRV2.com, it’s the same as here but not Winnie Specific, your logins from here will work there. LOTS of helpful people on both sides.
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #3

I thought Michelin suggests you can get 10 years of use from their tires? ...If so, and you see no visibly issues, why spend the money early? Surely, you will not get a better ride out of a different brand tire.

I will say this, if you stay with Michelin next time around, don't buy their RV tire. GET THE "STEER TIRE" for all 6 wheels! And don't buy the "H" rating thinking 2 more plies is better than a "G" rated tire. This will further reduce the psi in your rear tires and you want to run as close to the maximum (cold) psi as you can for your axle weight.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am very satisfied with the Toyo tires we have. Replaced Goodyear. Get your true axle weights and adjust air according to the manufacturer's load chart.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I’ve got a 2015 Vista 35B, always great to see another “Bunker” out there!

I was in a similar spot this spring, my coach had the Michellin 235/80 R22.5 tires and was due for replacement due to age and some rapidly growing sidewall cracks. The size is exclusive to Michellin so I was either stuck with them or switching sizes and a different brand. My tire installer (a decent sized New England chain) was having difficulty finding 6, which when combined with the price had me start looking around. (My logic was if they can’t find now, what’s going to happen when I’m on the side of the road and REALLY need one)

I went with Bridgestone Ecopia in the 255/75 R 22.5 tire size. The difference is minimal, about 1/3 of a inch wider and 4 revolutions per mile difference, very minimal. All in I think I paid about $345 per tire plus the usual extras (install, disposal FET etc). I’ve had severe friends make the jump to Toyos and have been very happy, they weren’t an option for me at the time or I would have given them a hard look as well. They seem to get great reviews online from other owners.

I’ve only put about 100 miles on them so far (there was still snow here 3 weeks ago!) but I’m happy with the ride and handling.

Here is a guide for size comparison that might help:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Other then that. I’d talk to your tire shop as they should be able to talk about the size change and any impacts. Lastly, you might also get some data off the sister site to this one, IRV2.com, it’s the same as here but not Winnie Specific, your logins from here will work there. LOTS of helpful people on both sides.

Correction, I went with 245/75 tires. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Went with Toyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydCODell View Post
Hello,

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35B that has the original Michelin 255/80R 22.5 tires. They look decent but that have a 2013 date code so I feel it's time to replace them. After going through so many of the threads we are highly considering getting the Toyo M154 265/75R 22.5. From what I can tell they are about 3/8" wider wider than the Michelins. Will I have any issues with the rear dually tires?

I'm a newbie and appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!!
Made that same replacement just over a year ago, no problem with size, great ride and handling. I probably don’t have to mention price difference
Old 05-24-2021, 04:32 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I made the change last year. Love the Toyo's!! Notably smoother ride and better tracking on our rig.

Oh how I love that Toyo smell! (not) . Brings a tear to my eye reminding me of shoveling out the cow barn as a kid!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Michelins are pretty terrific tires. I'd take your coach to a reputable tire dealer and have them checked before starting the replacement process.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I like the Toyo tire, I replaced my goodyears with Toyo. You want to be sure that you are replacing your your tires with the same load range Tire. That is as important as the size. I think the M 154 is a 14ply G load range tire. look to see what the load range and Max tire pressure is on your current tires. I replaced mine with the Toyo M-122, its a 16 ply H load range tire. Better to go up a load range rather than go down.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

No Toyos for Me

Used Toyo once. The price was good, the ride was smooth and quiet. Handling was fine. The rub came the first time I was in rain. Wet traction was not good. I had to really slow down to feel safe. I had this same experience with Toyos on a Toyota Highlander, went to Michelin and wet traction improved significantly. Also on a Tundra that had Generals and then Goodyears, Michelin were significantly better in the wet traction department. I assume all rubber compounds are not the same. I’ll stick to Michelins.
geneorpana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Michelin suggests you can get 10 years of use from their tires?

GET THE "STEER TIRE"
Old 05-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We just recently completed a 2,500 mile trip on new Toyo M154's. Very little noticeable difference in speedometer reading, good comfort level (but not as much as the Michelin's they replaced) and plenty of dually clearance. We went through some light rain and I did not notice any wet traction issues, but that may not be a good comparison to the post by geneorpana above.

Overall, we are pleased with the Toyo's and feel better knowing that if we needed a replacement, one would be more readily available.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote