Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Replacing Main TV in 06 Journey

Wanting to replace my old over dash 24" regular Sony TV with a 32" LCD/LED TV in my 06 Journey. Any information/tips/instructions would be appreciated. Expecially interested in the mounting brackets used and the wiring hooups. Thanks. GrantH
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum!

Many of us have already do the TV conversion and I'm sure somebody with your make and model will chime in soon with advice.

You might try using the search function on the forum and look for "tv replacement" or "lcd tv conversion" and I think you'll find tons of reading material.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Within the past month, there was a good post with pictures, 2005 Winnebago Journey. Like Rick said, use the search function.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Many of us have already do the TV conversion and I'm sure somebody with your make and model will chime in soon with advice.

You might try using the search function on the forum and look for "tv replacement" or "lcd tv conversion" and I think you'll find tons of reading material.

Best of luck...

Rick
That'd be me...

I don't have a lot of pictures sitting online, but here are a few pix of the empty cavity, brackets, and the finished product. I looked long and hard for something that fit the way I wanted and settled on a Sharp (2 years ago. Now I would do nothing but LED). The brackets are all aluminum angle and 1" steel square stock. It's kind of a pain to install, but once in it won't move at all.

TV removed and pre-rats nest clean-up

TV Bracket

Shot of the TV mounted

Installed

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

SCVJeff is the MAN. I drove all the way to CA to visit Jeff and viewed his project and I followed his lead. One of the best modifications I've done.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

That looks very good. I did similar but also put in a jointed holder that allows the TV to come out a bit and angle up, down, right or left. I do have a strap that holds the TV snuggly back into the cabinet when traveling. The cabinet in my 2004 appears to be exactly like the photo SCVJeff attached. I made templates with cardboard then used aluminum L's for the finished product.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Jeff,
What size TV was that? That looks great and without a lot of major modifications especially the adjacent cabinets.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2007 Journey and are thinking of replacing the TV. Your pics look like our cabinet configuration. We travel from upstate NY to Florida. Did you buy a special TV designed for taking temperature fluctuations (-10 - 90) and the bumps along the road? We had read in Camping World that the TV's they sell tolerate those issues?
ginagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginagary View Post
We have a 2007 Journey and are thinking of replacing the TV. Your pics look like our cabinet configuration. We travel from upstate NY to Florida. Did you buy a special TV designed for taking temperature fluctuations (-10 - 90) and the bumps along the road? We had read in Camping World that the TV's they sell tolerate those issues?
A typical LCD TV will do fine with travel and temperature variation with one warning: always make sure the TV is warmed to ambient (room) temperature before turning it on.

There have been lots of articles and specs published that state that LCD TV's have a broad storage temperature range. Should not be an issue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote