Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Replacing Hot Water Heater

I have a 2004 Winnebago Siteseer 30b

Anyone have a recommendation for an affordable hot water heater that would replace the one I have?

Ideally I would find one that would allow me to run it on electric shore power and gas (unlike the one that comes stock that only runs on gas).

Any help would be appreciated.
Nickvga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The least problematic solution is to buy the same brand/size that is installed in your Sightseer 34. You should be able to find the same model that offers both gas and electric. You will need to run a separate electric circuit from your circuit breaker box to the hot water heater.

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Have you thought about replacing the tank (propane) and add a Hot Rod Kit? I just did this for my 6 gallon. This is just an example of the hot rod: https://www.rvpartscenter.com/shop-b...ou-hr10-detail
I then ran a 12 gauge cord to the wet bay and installed a motor base plug. This is an example: https://bigbucktrailers.com/Exterior...-P2398006.aspx
I will be trying this out next week. Total cost with labor about $200. Keep in mind propane heats water faster then electric, so recovery time will be slower with electric. Installation was very easy. Running the cord, not so easy.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Yeah someone had put a hot rod kit on it. I decided I just wanted to blow the whole thing up and start over because the gas pilot wouldn’t stay lit and the rod got burned up.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickvga View Post
Yeah someone had put a hot rod kit on it. I decided I just wanted to blow the whole thing up and start over because the gas pilot wouldn’t stay lit and the rod got burned up.
The rod burned up when someone turned it on without water in the tank, human error. The same thing can happen with a new water heater, human error= turning on electric unit without water in the tank. Neither has a human error protection device.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
CoveredWagon

If mine ever burn out, I will replace it with a propane fuelled Hot-On-Demand tankless water heater. It costs a little bit more than the suburban replacement, but I won't be limited to 6 gals anymore! I plan to use these in a house I am having built. I'm tired of paying $350+ electric bills! I've been paying that for the past 18 years at my old home base. My new one will be more energy efficient!
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I can understand wanting to just remove and replace a water heater that has multiple problems and if you do that, could you take pictures and come back and tell us how it went? Your '04 and my '02 are likely very similar and it always helps to have a guide if mine ever goes bad.

BTW, I've been following evals of the tankless vs the tank style heaters now for a few years and I'd say it's 50/50 of those who love them, and those who are not happy with them. Sadly, I don't recall the major issues with the tankless.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry I just saw this. I did end up just getting a standard 6 gallon replacement tank (gas only).

This one:
1 x Atwood 6 gallon water heater LP Gas w/Heat Exchanger (s058-801326) = $469.10
1 x Atwood Water Heater Door Polar White RV Camper (S058-808474) = $18.69

I did the install and it was pretty easy. I did have a friend help me figure out the electrical connections because the old unit had the rv type plug and this water heater just came with the wires.

So, I cut the plug off the old heater and connected it up to the new unit. I just matched up the wires by looking at the way the old unit was wired so I would know how to connect it to new one.

The water connections were all pretty standard.

The gas line had to be adjusted a bit (I gently) bent it and it worked fine.

I sealed the outside of it with a very thick bead of rv sealant.

Hope that helps.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater