Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Can someone tell me how to remove the headlight assembly on my 03 suncruiser? The clear plastic is hazy and I want to replace it with a new unit. Is it screwed in? or is it somehow "plugged in" with some friction fit device. Hard to tell when I look at the assembly from behind... thanks. The headlight is the same as the newer Jeep Cherokee...so replacement is easy to find.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Can someone tell me how to remove the headlight assembly on my 03 suncruiser? The clear plastic is hazy and I want to replace it with a new unit. Is it screwed in? or is it somehow "plugged in" with some friction fit device. Hard to tell when I look at the assembly from behind... thanks. The headlight is the same as the newer Jeep Cherokee...so replacement is easy to find.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

There is a product that restores the plastic headlamps that are clouded. Link below to the before/after picture of a headlamp cover. I saw it demo'd last fall at the state fair. It is a fantastic polish.

http://www.flitz.com/index.html

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I just posted a DIY writeup on this very subject on my website. Head Light Refurb
Old 05-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've been trying to cross reference my headlights for quite awhile. I see mine are the same as yours. So they are from a newer Jeep Cherokee!

Great to know. Thanks.

Now where do the tailights come from????

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Laredo) (For Vehicles Manufactured to 1/02) Composite Headlight Lens and Housing RH (passenger's side) Part is being discontinued--Driver's side is only available as Assembly; See Below

$50.23

OEM# 55155128AB/AF passenger side

http://www.autolights.tv/wholesale/J...ee__2002.shtml

-Tom

Old 05-02-2008, 04:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Taillites are from a Ford Focus wagon.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

And beware of aftermarket lights. GM is having big problems with them finding their way on to cars after bodyshop work. GM recently took 6 headlights back to a supplier that were replaced under warranty. 4 of them were aftermarket.

Some suppliers put their logo on their lights. Some big suppliers are NAL, TYC, and Hella. If you see those markings, they are OEM pieces. (My Adventurer headlights are made by TYC and are from a Chevy Impala, if I needed a new one, I'd contact TYC, they sold them to Winnebago).

Old 05-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tderonne:
And beware of aftermarket lights. GM is having big problems with them finding their way on to cars after bodyshop work. GM recently took 6 headlights back to a supplier that were replaced under warranty. 4 of them were aftermarket.

Some suppliers put their logo on their lights. Some big suppliers are NAL, TYC, and Hella. If you see those markings, they are OEM pieces. (My Adventurer headlights are made by TYC and are from a Chevy Impala, if I needed a new one, I'd contact TYC, they sold them to Winnebago). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tim. Would you happen to know what tail light assembly is used on our 2004 Adventurers? I'd like to get something larger with LED's.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Yup, Tom's Suncruiser and our Adventurers have the same back ends. So we also have the Focus wagon lights.

Don't know who makes it though. Might be TYC. Winnebago may source a lot of stuff from them, that would kind of make sense. I'll take a look next time I remember and I'm near my motorhome or a Focus wagon.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Thanks Tim;

What I would like to do is upgrade my tail lights from the ones used in 2005 to the ones used in 2006. Below is a photo of 2006. Have an idea where the 2006 and up tail lights came from??

-Tom

Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LandHo:
Can someone tell me how to remove the headlight assembly on my 03 suncruiser? The clear plastic is hazy and I want to replace it with a new unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard of buffing the headlight covers out with toothpaste. Would cost nothing to try.

-Tom
Old 05-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Looks like an aftermarket replacement type tailight. Some of the OEM suppliers tried to get into that market, it may be made by an OEM supplier, but I doubt it. Lots of the so call "clear talis" weren't even DOT compliant.

I'll have to keep an eye out and have a closer look.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

If you want LEDs, you could replace the bulb with a LED bulb, but couple of things you should know.
You will need in-line resister so that your blinkers don't blink like a teen-ager on energy drinks (too fast!!)
Get amber LED for amber color application
Get red LED for red color application
This is from the LED makers...don't get white LED to use behind colored lense...this way, the color is nicely saturated (either in amber or red).

You could use a newer Grand Cherokee headlight, would have to get new amber color bulbs since the marker/turn signal lenses are clear, not amber.

I will get car OEM or OEM spec replacement assembly. The reason the headlights are hazy is either lack of or poor wet coat application on the clear plastic. I know...I am in this business... I am also sure the Winnebago sourced stuff is not the same quality as the FORD/Chrysler.

I know, you all are trying to save me some money...but so far, no one has discussed how the assembly comes OFF...
Old 05-04-2008, 04:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

A somewhat embarrasing update to the slightly off topic subject of where our headlights and taillights come from.

Long story short, as LandHo surmises above, TYC is NOT an OEM manufacturer. Winnebago uses a cheap aftermarket supplier!

The longer version:
In talking with my buddy in the headlight business, I told him that my headlights were from an Impala. I assumed that TYC made the OEM Impala headlight and that that is what I had. When I mentioned TYC to him yesterday, he explained that they make cheap copies of OEM lights, drives them nuts. It all makes sense now, no wonder so many folks complain about headlights! He's going to take one of my headlights to work and test it. They make the real Impala light and will have data to compare it to. I'll post when he gets the data. It'll be interesting. He also mentioned that the aftermarket copies often don't use a proper UV hardcoat. Sounds like what LandHo's problem is.

As for getting them out. I'll have to learn myself to get one of mine out for testing...

Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tderonne:
A somewhat embarrasing update to the slightly off topic subject of where our headlights and taillights come from.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe a moderator will move the headlight replacement posts under a new subject.

-Tom