Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing front tv 06 Journey

I'm replacing the front tv on my '06 winnebago journey with a32" LCD. I also plan on installing the mcd shades so I want to get rid of box that the old tv sat in. My question is, is it structurally safe to cut out the metal frame that supported the old tv?
jkjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Recently did this on my 2007 sightseer. Yours probably has the same metal structure. The box that holds the tv is suspended from the top metal framing and is tack welded in the back. I only cut out the lower portion. Stopping 1 1/2 up from the bottoms of the side cabinet. Used a dremel with cutoff wheels to make the cut. Took a while and cover your dash with a drop cloth. Reframed the opening with 2x2 and made new headliner panel to mount clear across. You can get matching material from lichstein with your coach serial.

Didn't have any structural effect. It is just a suspended cage

Will post pictures of finished job when I get to storage to take them
Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Just a note of caution, the old analog weighs a bunch so make sure you have help or a system to handle it when you take it from the frame. Singing tenor will be the least of your worries. IMHO

Replaced mine with a flat screen (Sony) and it works super. Used some speaker cloth to fill in the blank spaces. Did not cut any of the frame away.

Phil
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmckinley View Post
Will post pictures of finished job when I get to storage to take them
I'm a long time off from doing this type of project, but certainly look forward to seeing your photos. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

One pic is the original layout. The other 3 are the new configuration with the TV moved to bihind the passenger seat, mounted on a lockable swing arm. The reasons for the mod was to get rid of the headbanger and set up the cockpit for MCD shades. They have been installed, just have to make the valences for them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	39370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1867.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	39371  

Name:	DSC_1869.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	39372   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1871.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	39373  

Old 05-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What did you use for a template for the new headliner? I am also going with the MCD shades. To complicate matters, I have two fans and two roll down sun visors to contend with!
jkjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

For the headliner I removed the original 2 piece headliner measured the original width and lined up the straight edge on the edge of a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 plywood. Lined it out and cut it. The original head liner cabinet front edge is straight. Also used it to mark the holes for my fans. If your fans are original to the coach they should be forward of the mount line for the mcd's. mine just went back in to their original mounting location. I left out the visors as the mcd shade works as one only a lot better. At first chance I'll get a picture with the shade up
Old 05-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Unless you are cutting the center cabinet up to flush with the others, there is no reason to cut the metal frame since it just gives additional rigidity to the whole upper entertainment center cabinets. I left mine in as well as the CRT bracket. I just tightened it up for another cross brace.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

JKjourney,

On my Sightseer, the support bracket which hangs down was not connected to either of the side cabinets at the lower extension. Mounted as such it did not add any structural bracing, I could move it side to side in the opening. I only cut out the lower section 1 1/2 inches above the bottom of the cabinets. I did leave the upper portion including the tv clamp in the frame. Tied in the 2x2 spanning framing to the stubs at the bottom and then tied it into the side cabinets.

In order for Bradd and Hall to install a single shade across the front it was necessary to remove the head banger completely. If they had to deal with the headbanger hanging down the installation of the shades would have cost more. They quoted 3 shades rather than the single one. There isn't space between the headbanger and the defrost fans to get a single clear shot across the headliner.

Your coach may be built different, I can only speak for my sightseer.

IMHO the look is cleaner, more work though. Took 3 tries to get the stain for the trim to match and had to buy a new door rail and style cutter set to make the door. Bradd and Hall only installed the shades, I did all the other work.

Regards
Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Guess I left out the most important reason I made the modification. The DW HATED the headbanger

Got Points !!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Pictures with the shade up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1879.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	39559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1882.jpg
Views:	160