Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Replacing filters in a 1980 Brave

I took off the cover in the cab inside my motorhome and the front panel outside and don't see what looks like either an air filter or "air cleaning element" according to the owner's manual, or a fuel filter.

Is anyone familiar with the 1980 Winnebago Brave who could point me in the right direction? Thanks
Varyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

By "air filter" are you speaking of the filter for cleaning air going to the engine or for air going to the cabin?

You may have to post up some pictures to get better answers but I might guess from memory that you are speaking of an engine with a carburetor and that would make me think of a large round circle on top of the carb with the filter inside???

Fuel filter is in the fuel line but not idea of exactly where.

Kinda/sorta like this maybe? Not looked at one of those in quite some time, though!!!!
Attached Images

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, thank you. It is the air cleaner for the engine that I'm looking for. That helps a lot, there is a big round thing on top of the engine but I haven't even checked it yet. I thought that the air filter has to be in a plastic sheathing, from my limited knowledge.

Pictures attached. Thank you again for your suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210709085148.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	180081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210709_085024.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	180082  

Name:	IMG20210709085138.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	180083  
Old 07-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay, maybe the old memory is not totally gone, yet!!!

Did not want to suggest too much about the deal until finding what you might be lacking on experience with these good old engines. But I might throw some ideas that may help later.

One is that there is likely to be a wingnut to unscrew on the cig filter cover. Unscrew, find a big filter that just lays under the cover, replace and screw the wingnut back, just snug, no need to kill it. Easy, peasy and does lots of really good things to keep dirt and everything from feathers to sand out of the engine, so very much a good first step as the engine does much better if it can gets LOTS of good clean air and maybe get the filter changed once you can't see through it pretty good.

Then the other big thing that you show is the label for hose routing and that hose tends to get brittle and break or leak and does all kinds of good things, so replace it when you see any getting hard and brittle.

Then to the right is a fitting with hose attached that has an item that may need checked once in a while to see that it is not stuck. Called a PVC (positive crankcase ventilation) that lets fumes from the crankcase be sucked into the carb to be burned again. If the engine is tending to wear and maybe burning some oil, this valve can stick. So wiggle around as you pull up on the hose and it should slip out of the rubber gasket and then shake it to make sure it rattles and is free to move inside. If it is too gunked up, cheap to replace and definitely worth it.
https://docable.com/pcv-valve-what-is-it/

NOTE:
I may have missed which hose for the PVC, so check the other as it looks more like it goes up to the filter housing???

ADD:
While the filter is out, try pulling the filter housing body up to get a look at the carb. body where you "might" get lucky and find the fuel filter screwed right there in the fuel line?? Not sure at all on that but worth looking for easy? Wrong carb and wrong filter for almost sure but maybe looking something like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carb1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	180089   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	180090  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Air filter replaced, fuel filter next

Thanks, I just unscrewed the wingnut, popped out the filter and the Autozone a few minutes away had a replacement. It didn't look wrecked, but the fins were definitely going gray, so I'm glad I have a new air cleaning element now.

I did try to take up the housing after unscrewing the wingnut and removing the cap, but it felt pretty firmly in place and it was late in the evening, so I didn't look for something to unscrew to get the filter housing off.

Thanks very much and I'll keep the thread updated as I go back into the cab and poke around.

I did check the hoses, all the ones I checked seem recently replaced or in good shape, no cracks or stickiness.

I checked out the PVC valve link you sent me as well and will be looking into that as well.

Tags
brave