Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacing check valve on '07 38T water heater

I have low water pressure on the hot side and suspect a bad check valve somewhere. It seems that I cannot get to the rear of the water heater, anybody know how I will change the check valve without pulling the water heater if it is in the rear? I see what looks like 2 check valves on the pump lines beneath the water heater. Are they the only ones? I thought there might be one in back on the line leaving the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.png
Views:	127
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	171252  
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

No answer to your question now but I'm going to follow this. When our Adventurer 32v was winterized last year a check valve was replaced. Didn't have tune to study it before storage. But soon hopefully (it has been a long cold winter here in Kansas) we will have Wibad home and I will be able look closer at the water system. The Winnebago schematics are very helpful.
Skipperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
Site Team

Not sure on the 38T - but on some models with this water heater you can access the rear of the WH from under the RV. Slide under right at the water heater and see if there is an access panel or just plain access to behind from underneath.

The person that told me this said that there is a "reset" button on the back and engine radiator hoses from the engine to the back of the WH for the "Motoradd" feature. So, they had to make access to the rear possible. I never checked mine (37F) to see if that's true.

If you've already tried this and found no access I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Though in general I've been told by others that it's not that difficult to remove the WH.

If that's true or not I can't substantiate. I had some issues with my WH but was able to make all the fixes from the front side.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

X2 on what creativepart advises. I have a check valve issue behind my water heater related to my bypass and need to get to it for replacement on our 38Q. I crawled under the rig and found the access panel. Does not look like an enjoyable job getting to it and off, but is likely doable. Will attack mine in a few weeks. Fingers crossed getting the panel off. Not made for old geezers like me. Good luck on yours.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

07 38T water Heater

To change the water heater check valve you need to remove the white divider panel on the left side of the water heater as you look at it. Then crawl into the little space and go behind the water heater. The one way check valve may then be gotten to. good luck
kraftyplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I am proud to report that I have changed the check valve! Wasn't an easy job but it is doable from the compartment. Being right handed was no help either. I pulled 2 panels between the HWH and the compartment, drilling out the pop-rivets that hold the pipes to the panel. The 3 valve handles pull off with the help of a screwdriver. I then crawled into the compartment and disconnected the fitting that is attached to the CV behind the WH. I put a deep socket on the CV and used a LONG breaker bar. All with my left hand. I replaced it and reassembled in reverse order. The CV was only $10 so I replaced it but the old one didn't have trash in it as I suspected. The sound stopped that I was hearing when the water flowed so that must have been the CV. Now I will see if I have more water pressure in the shower. I will be sore in the AM from all the twisting and turning. Thanks for your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	171291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051 (2).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	171292  

PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2002 Adventurer 35U and I was able to access the back of the water heater from the forward compartment without removing any panels. Make sure you check the system under pressure for leaks. The brass check valve is tougher than the plastic fittings and they may crack if you tighten them too much.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater