Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #1

Replacement Leveling Jack System

Hello all, I have a 36', 2000 Winnebago Chieftain (Gas) and I need to replace the leveling jacks.

My right rear jack failed, and the left rear jack isn't far from failing. I contacted HWH and apparently, they don't have any more jacks in stock due to age, but they could make a jack for me.

The cost for them to make a single jack is roughly $400 short of getting a whole new leveling system for my coach. So, I'm planning on replacing my whole system. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not looking for top of the line as I'm not a full-timer, but I also don't want to get bottom of the barrel either and end up wasting my money.

Any info would be a big help. Thank you!
gjgrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If their location in Iowa works for you, check with HWH to see what the cost would be for them to do the full replacement at their factory. While we were there having some of the triangular glides on our living room slide replaced, another RV owner was having their jacks replaced.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

HWH is a great company, but they are very busy and backed up. What I did was remove our jacks one at a time and take them to a hydraulic ship to be rebuilt. So far I have three of them done. I do them just as needed.

It's also cheaper than HWH, course I'm doing a lot of the labor myself.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I like the rebuild locally idea myself, but have you checked eBay? There are a bunch of HWH listings. Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HWH-RV-Hydr...wAAOSw5VtZ6Csk

Who knows, you might get lucky.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

HWH Jack rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
HWH is a great company, but they are very busy and backed up. What I did was remove our jacks one at a time and take them to a hydraulic ship to be rebuilt. So far I have three of them done. I do them just as needed.

It's also cheaper than HWH, course I'm doing a lot of the labor myself.
Hello Cooperhawk,

How hard was it to remove the Jack? I need to do the same thing. I have one jack that is currently leaking and I would like to pull it and take it in and have the seals replaced and the jack rebuilt. I have heard it is just two bolts and the hydraulic line that needs to be undone. The hardest part was removing the springs. Is this what you found out? I am also concerned about loosing the fluid from the system after I remove one Jack.

Thanks,
for any info.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

You might want to get in contact with azpete. He's an HWH expert and can help you sort it out. He'll probably check in here sooner or later.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by signet63 View Post
Hello Cooperhawk,

How hard was it to remove the Jack? I need to do the same thing. I have one jack that is currently leaking and I would like to pull it and take it in and have the seals replaced and the jack rebuilt. I have heard it is just two bolts and the hydraulic line that needs to be undone. The hardest part was removing the springs. Is this what you found out? I am also concerned about loosing the fluid from the system after I remove one Jack.

Thanks,
for any info.

I just had a jack replaced. No fluid loss as the connectors are self sealing.

I'll be interested to hear how he gets the jack off without getting a hernia or concussion!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Are you sure the problem isn't just the strength of the springs? In late 2002, HWH changed to a stronger spring that has tapered ends, instead of straight. Solved a lot of problems for thousands of HWH jack systems on RVs. Usually those weak springs first show up on the right rear and than the left rear with weak or no retraction. In cold weather, the issue is more pronounced. After I changed all of mine, the jacks all retract nicely, even in cold weather (though it does take longer then in warm).

Also, I've read many times over the years of people just taking their jacks into a hydraulic shop and getting them rebuilt for under $100 each.

Finally, there are several components in the hydraulic jack system that could be checked and replaced or repaired if a couple jacks won't retract. Since the HWH that age would likely be hydraulic 'extend' only, and a relief of pressure to retract via the spring, there's only one hydraulic solenoid involved with retraction. Easily replaced by a shop tech.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by signet63 View Post
Hello Cooperhawk,

Thanks,
for any info.
I had a shop take them off for me, but it was pretty simple. The first spring is the toughest and they used a pry bar for that. The other spring is loose then. We did cap the lines so there was little fluid loss. I then took the cylinder to a shop that specializes in them and had it rebuilt. Any big city probably has several of these shops. Got it back a couple days later and had the shop pop it back in.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

With the jack fully retracted you can take a pry bar and tilt the foot plate up on one side so the spring can be removed. There is a bolt at the top and one that holds the foot plate on. Then the hydraulic lines.

My jacks had gotten so bad that I would take a flat bladed shovel and pry them up and that was the only way to retract them. As each one got that bad I redid it.

I still carry the shovel just in case.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

To remove the springs easily, just extend the jack, insert wooden hardwood wedges into the open spring coils in several places, then retract.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Jack Replacement

All good advice is being given here. Make a list of the simplest solutions first and going to the most difficult (and probably most expensive..i.e. total jack replacement). Then start checking things out. I also had the hydraulic jacks rebuilt on my 1997 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser by a local shop for about $80 apiece. You may as well do them all while you're a it. AND while you're at it replace all the springs on the jacks. Yours are now 18 years old and they will start breaking. I did and the system works like new.
tkamsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I think we RV owners somehow get into the mindset that there's something unique about RV equipment like hydraulic systems when, in reality, hydraulics are everywhere and there's probably not much that can't be effectively and economically fixed by a good, local shop that's doing this for fork lifts, construction equipment, etc. every day.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We had trouble with our back jacks retracting, and also with one of the back jacks coming down much slower than the other. We got new springs, then new jacks. It fixed the retraction problem -- no more shovels needed. But it didn't fix the problem of one jack hitting the ground while the other was six inches in the air. I know this is a different problem, but could their be a pinch in the hydraulic fluid line, or something like that?
lgehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgehring View Post
We had trouble with our back jacks retracting, and also with one of the back jacks coming down much slower than the other. We got new springs, then new jacks. It fixed the retraction problem -- no more shovels needed. But it didn't fix the problem of one jack hitting the ground while the other was six inches in the air. I know this is a different problem, but could their be a pinch in the hydraulic fluid line, or something like that?
It could be either a hydraulic problem or a control unit problem. Assuming they are HWH jacks, there's a wealth of troubleshooting information online. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Find and walk through the troubleshooting guide for your particular model.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #16

I'm in agreement with BobC. Rebuild.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjgrosser View Post
Hello all, I have a 36', 2000 Winnebago Chieftain (Gas) and I need to replace the leveling jacks.

My right rear jack failed, and the left rear jack isn't far from failing. I contacted HWH and apparently, they don't have any more jacks in stock due to age, but they could make a jack for me.

The cost for them to make a single jack is roughly $400 short of getting a whole new leveling system for my coach. So, I'm planning on replacing my whole system. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not looking for top of the line as I'm not a full-timer, but I also don't want to get bottom of the barrel either and end up wasting my money.

Any info would be a big help. Thank you!
I have a 1989 Elandan with simular situation front passanger side, gone hwh has no parts for ap7002 jack no jack kits for it so using a local shop that i helped put into business about 15 years ago. Good thing i invested in hydraulics
djlgnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, leveling, replace, replacement