Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #1
Okimar

Replacement cameras for OEM camera system

My 2006 Adventurer came with the Sony 3 camera system, which switces from the rear view to a side camera when I activate a turn signal.

It's a great idea, but the side view cameras are so blurry that they are basically worthless.

Has anyone reading thos ever replaced this system and been happy with it, say with the 360 degree type?
Okimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okimar View Post
Has anyone reading thos ever replaced this system and been happy with it, say with the 360 degree type?
The "360 degree type" that is seen on newer RVs is not a function of the cameras, per se, but more of a software application where each camera's output is stitched together and assembled into those views. This is part of the RV's infotainment system's software and not something marketed separately for retrofitting on older motorhomes.

Assuming your side view cameras are built into your mirrors, I would suppose the easiest way to replace your side view cameras is to replace the side mirrors on your coach.

Here's a video of a guy that did a DIY camera upgrade - but "easy" is not a term that I'd apply to this process as he does it.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:33 PM   #3
Okimar

Aftermarket 360 cameras

Actually, there are aftermarket 360 cameras out there, but I just don't personally know anyone that has gone with one yet.

These aftermarket systems are actually independent of the OEM infotainment systems, which I would strongly prefer.

But, it's on my list of things to possibly do if a real estate matter I'm considering goies thru very soon, but things sometimes don't work out...

I'm on the road again and don't have my desktop's bookmarks available to be right now, but I'll share a link to one I've found if anyone is intrested and haven't been able to find it by then.
Okimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okimar View Post
Actually, there are aftermarket 360 cameras out there, but I just don't personally know anyone that has gone with one yet.
I'm speaking of RVs specifically. Do you know of any for RVs? Can you add a link to one?
Old 07-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #5
Minnie Winnie 26A

Blurry image

I started to find my garmin backup camera was getting blurry and unusable. I tried a a couple of products to try to make it less blurry such as spray nine and cleaner wax. It helped but not a lot. I finally used a touch of the Aero PolishIt polish I had. Crystal clear again. Not sure if that's your issue but worth a try.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, camera, replace, replacement