Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacement batteries?

Hi folks,

I have a 2016 Winnebago Journey 38P. Bought it in August. We just went through a cold snap in Houston (18-22 degrees every night x 4), and when we tried to close our sides, 2 out of 4 didn't want to work. It was as if the motors were not sync'd. We didn't have a battery tester, but after running the engine for awhile, I got the slides to come in. I'm guessing it may be the batteries. If you think I should check something else, please advise.

I talked to a local dealer who called Winnebago and they recommended the same brand of no-maintenance batteries through Interstate Battery. They are $2,700 for 6, plus 4 hours labor at $165. Does this sound reasonable? Our last set of batteries in our Country Coach were only $1,500. I don't remember the brand, and the dealer hasn't sent me the quote yet. I'm wondering if there's any way I could buy quality batteries cheaper myself and have them installed. Also, is there any brand that may be a good replacement?

Thanks Mark Winge
Mark Winge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Batteries

Before you replace them get each one tested. They may not be bad and some might be ok. Get the part number of your battery and get some more quotes and options.
Just my two bits.
Scott
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hope you don't mind, but few questions for your questions.

I have a 2016 Winnebago Journey 38P. Bought it in August. and when we tried to close our sides, 2 out of 4 didn't want to work.

It is assumptive but batteries may be 8 years old, have the date code check?

We didn't have a battery tester, but after running the engine for awhile, I got the slides to come in. I'm guessing it may be the batteries. If you think I should check something else, please advise.

You must have the battery tested younger than 6 years old, older than 6 years I would be looking to replace anyway unless they just test very very good. But again, I don't like to mix old and new batteries

I talked to a local dealer who called Winnebago and they recommended the same brand of no-maintenance batteries through Interstate Battery. They are $2,700 for 6, plus 4 hours labor at $165. Does this sound reasonable?

No that is NOT reasonable. But I live on a low economic budget

I would focus on the batteries 1st and them find a mobile tech to install. You need to provide the specs they are quoting for others to offer better.

My House batteries are V Max Tanks AGM and 125ah each. I have two, I ordered directly from vMax and installed myself. But they are on Amazon. but cost a little more. https://www.amazon.com/Qty-Batteries...00276770&psc=1

I doubt very seriously your existing battery will have better specifications and I have yet to see anyone else post something with better specs.

For what you are considering to pay $3,400 , buy 4 of the AGM vMax Tank 125Ah each, and have a mobile tech quote what they charge to install. You never have to leave the house. My budget would be $1,700 total Out the Door; and call it a day.

I'm wondering if there's any way I could buy quality batteries cheaper myself and have them installed. Also, is there any brand that may be a good replacement?

Yes see above
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I appreciate both posts. Yes, I will definitely have them tested before we spend any money. And if they need replacing I would replace them all at once. Since my post, I reached out to Winnebago. They gave me the specs (NAPA Group 31 AGM), and told me that if my monitor panel drops to 12.2 they are considered dead and I need to run the engine for 30 minutes to get them up to 12.8 to 12.9. The gauge is currently reading 13.3 plugged in. Yes, I thought the price sounded high. I'll check your link, along with a few other sources. I do like the idea of using a mobile tech. Their labor rate is lower than the dealer. I just wanted to be ready in case the batteries test badly. Thanks again for your posts. Mark
Old 12-29-2022, 03:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Winge View Post
I appreciate both posts. Yes, I will definitely have them tested before we spend any money. And if they need replacing I would replace them all at once. Since my post, I reached out to Winnebago. They gave me the specs (NAPA Group 31 AGM), and told me that if my monitor panel drops to 12.2 they are considered dead and I need to run the engine for 30 minutes to get them up to 12.8 to 12.9. The gauge is currently reading 13.3 plugged in. Yes, I thought the price sounded high. I'll check your link, along with a few other sources. I do like the idea of using a mobile tech. Their labor rate is lower than the dealer. I just wanted to be ready in case the batteries test badly. Thanks again for your posts. Mark
For what it is worth, I always have my engine running when extending or retracting my single full wall slide. I am only required to have key turn to accessory for safety lock but I just believe it is better habit to have alternator fully charging those batteries, especially for you with 4 slides OMG you have a very nice rig

Having said that, I have heard some models do not allow slides to extend / retract with engine running? If true, it may be why WBGO says to ensure batteries are over 12.8 vdc. I keep my batteries over 12.5 vdc all the time with use of my AGS.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, we do have a nice rig, but the bigger then are the more they cost to maintain! Sometimes I wish we could go back to our 30' with no slides, jacks or backup camera. Ha! Just kidding. Anyway, I always start the engine before pulling slides. I think the issue was the severe cold we experienced in the Houston area this past week. That will wreak havoc on batteries as well as slides. After running the engine, they worked correctly. I'm just concerned about getting out in the middle of no where and having this happen again. Anyway, NAPA can provide the same battery for $332, which is a savings of $708 over the dealer. Wow.
Old 12-29-2022, 03:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I hesitate to make specific recommendations on batteries, just because there are so many options and each has it's own specific good and bad points. Often the price is a big one when looking at six batteries!

But before jumping too high, consider that these have lasted six years if they are the original and that makes them having lasted very well!
So maybe a second set of the same is agreeable?

But then there are lots of options and AGM is one. What the RV came with should have been 6 AGM and the size is group 31. So a bit of shopping may help decide and about all you need is that info and whether you buy by brand, ratings, warrenty or service is a personal thing!

I'll not try to sway you on that but I do not buy batteries based on brand as there are really not very many companies who make all the batteries and put the different names on them! It always comes back to me wondering if they actually put anything different under the label or do they simply spend more on adverts??

From there the bigger question might be where to get the batteries and have the work done. Four hours to change out six batteries that set on a tray and pull out seems a pretty slow deal! I might search for price and including install and try to stay away from RV specific places as they are often higher. The $450 per seems higher than I would expect. But then I have not bought an AGM lately!!!

This is one ad for Interstate AGM group 31 but shopping is needed. This can be a low end of that battery.
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/31m-agm-a

One big point to question may be how you work when operating slides and jacks as having the engine running is one way to get the best power to the things that use the most power. The batteries take less of the strain if that big old engine alternator is cranking out lots of power!

EDIT:
Whoops sorry about the same message. I guess we all like to hammer the same nail??
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

X2, you should only move slides in or out with engine running so that you have 14.4 volts on the coach electrical system, assuming that the Battery Isolation Manager is working on your RV and connects the chassis electrical system (with its alternator) to the coach electrical system (where the power to the slideout controllers comes from). 14.4 vs. 12 volts means the motors can generate as much as 36% more power.

The other way to increase the coach DC voltage is to operate slides while still plugged into shore power or while the generator is running.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard, you bring up a good point about taking warranty, etc. into consideration. Thanks for your response.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

My WBGO came with two NAPA Grp 27 FLA 65AH for House; they worked, but I hated them, not enough ah capacity, corrosion, and the watering requirements I replaced after 1 year even though they had no defective issues. I upgraded to Group 31 and 125AH each, I can now go two days off batteries now. Before, I barely made it overnight with fridges and TVs running.

When I reference specs; I am mainly talking about capacity i.e. the ability to get 125ah in a Group 31. I have not seen any other battery do that (yet); except for vMax tanks. So if one is seeking House capacity; which is the intent of house batteries; thus my recommendation. Lots of very good batteries for 100ah, 110ah etc. In fact, I am not sure if I could point out, or even heard of any bad choice of a new AGM batteries. The life of 99% of all batteries is directly related to how user maintains and / or used them. Most do not charge them properly resulting in premature failures.

NAPA is obviously a name brand and OEM so you can't go wrong; but if the question is can you provide better specification thus my answer. Out of curiosity as it was never stated, how many AH do the NAPA Grp 31s hold? My vMax tanks are about 2 years old now, and I paid $250 each. Only thing I regret was NOT replacing the OEM House battery with coach was brand new. I could have spared myself corrosion in battery compartment, but OP has AGM and water corrosion issues should not have existed.

FWIW, I still have my NAPA OEM FLA engine battery and it has no issues. I will replace next year ( Year Age 5) as a preventative measure, but I plan to buy the EverStart Grp 65 Platinum AGM $169.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:58 PM   #11
Site Team

First, you should always run the engine when extending or retracting the slides. The slide motors are very voltage sensitive and they use a fair amount of amps. That means when the slide motors demand plenty of amps the voltage in your batteries will naturally sag. Running the engine precludes that problem.

Next, a fully charged battery is 12.7volts. So, any time you see more than that on your voltage meter you are not seeing the battery voltage but a charging current from either the alternator, the generator or shore power. Never use that reading to determine the state of charge of your batteries. The volt meter is only accurate on a resting battery bank - that's one that has had zero use or zero charging for hours. So, you, see, that number is pretty worthless as when are your batteries fully at rest for hours and hours?

The standard battery for your rig is the NAPA Commercial AGM model 9831DT. They sell for 360.99. I like these batteries and had them in my coach for 5+ years. When I replaced them they were still fine and I actually sold them to someone else and they've been fine for that person as well.

The vast majority of AGM Group 31 sized batteries are 100Ah batteries and this is what you need. You may find some that are 105Ah or some really expensive 125Ah batteries in this size, but in general 100Ah is adequate. Smaller batteries, i.e. Group 27 or Group 24 have fewer amp hours. Makes sense less room inside the smaller battery.

The point of all this is you don't have to spend anything like the quote you received. That quote is for $450 a battery. You can find plenty of great alternatives for as little as $200 to $350 per battery. But if you see batteries listing for much less than $200 that is a tell tale sign that it's not a good choice for your RV.

Here's a link:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT9...ressionRank=20

But you don't need to spend that much. Interstate AGMs are $90 cheaper per battery or $1638 for 6 of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Interstate-Ba.../dp/B00YB26RYG

Renogy's are even cheaper still at $1150 for 6. All of these are good batteries that would work well for you. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Batter.../dp/B075RFXHYK

As to paying someone to install them... well, it's an easy swap one for the other with no tricky parts except the 60 pound weight per battery.

As an RV owner there are a zillion things to learn about - batteries, tires, etc are two of the most frequent and most expensive purchases for new owners.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I sometimes get quite upset when I see business charge us way more just simply because they are aware we may not know!
When I think of changing a battery, I think of how many places will change a car battery for free, even though it is really hard to get a battery out of a new car with the much more compact desing.
But on you RV, I "think" The tray rolls out? If that is correct, that makes a battery change really easy as they don't even have to lean over a fender and haul the heavy monsters up and over things!
I used to change batteries pretty often when I had three teens and what took the most time was getting ready, finding things to wrap the cables ends for safety and getting the right wrench to fit the tiedowns and cable clamps. The change itself was pretty short term labor, but around a garage that does it enough to know what wrench is needed without looking, things should go much quicker!

So this is likely one of those times when you don't need to worry too much about it failing suddenly as the batteries are STORAGE. That storage does slowly go down with age and then when they are cold, they are much more likely to not work as well.
So depending if you aref ull time, etc. you may have time to shop around for the best deal if it seems right.
For my RV work, I tend to just go by a few places and ask what they think. My last service work, I asked the guy I use for other things how he felt about me bringing a motor home and he just had me bring it by when the weather was nice and did the work in the back parking lot!
I find smallish shops that make their own plan are more interested if they can get an idea of what it takes, so if you can drive down to somebody that acts interested and show him the batteries, they may cut you a good price??
One way to get a better idea might be to ask about having them test the batteries and if they say they need changed, you've got a prospect!
Old 12-30-2022, 07:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Again, thanks to everybody for your input. Richard, you've given me a lot to work with. We've had RVs for 23 years, but never had mechanical issues like we have on these later models. Full-timing has added an all new dimension. Anyway, Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2022, 09:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Of all the batteries mentioned in this thread, Renogy and V-max are the only true deep-cycle battery brands.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 07:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Winge View Post
Again, thanks to everybody for your input. Richard, you've given me a lot to work with. We've had RVs for 23 years, but never had mechanical issues like we have on these later models. Full-timing has added an all new dimension. Anyway, Happy New Year!
Fully agree that the newer stuff gives us lots more stuff to keep going. I never had trouble with lots of stuff like power windows, air, GPS, disk player, etc on my first cars!
Of couse we did have to change the plugs and keep the points cleaned!
We tend to forget things we don't like about the "good old days"!

Maybe the new year will be better and we can get back to those simple times??
Good luck, either way!
Old 01-04-2023, 04:33 PM   #16
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

FYI

I have a 2016 36M and 3 slides. The engine has to be running to extend or retract the slides.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I have 2012 Journey 36M replaced with Group 31 AGM Duracell 105 AH from Sams club back in 2016. They were $150 Each, I did the replacement my self. on the 36M, slide motors are on the engine battery and you must have the engine running to run the slides, otherwise you get low voltage error on the slide control panel.

Any group 31, 105 AH AGM will work well for you.
Old 01-05-2023, 01:21 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Just as a follow up: The batteries did test poorly. They were original! And we found a regional battery company who sold us Interstate Group 31 Deep Cycle HDs, delivered and installed, for 51% less than the dealer.

Tags
ace, batteries, replace, replacement