Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replace mattress on 2013 Tour

We would like to replace the mattress on our 2013 Tour with a memory foam mattress. The bed has to be raised when we pull in the slides. With our current knock off sleep number bed, I deflate it before raising it. Has anyone replaced this mattress?? Our previous RV (Marathon) had a memory foam mattress and I miss it desperately. I feel every movement I never felt before!! [emoji849][emoji42]
Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We replaced ours with a standard memory foam mattress several months ago. So far no problem. I did place a piece of dense foam across the foot end to keep it from sliding down as the head is raised. In our house we have a standard kingsize Tempur-Pedic with a frame that raises the head like the MH. We purchased this combination from Tempur-Pedic so raising the head and foot with a standard memory foam mattress must be okay.

If you do keep the air number bed don't wash the mattress cover top. It becomes about the size of a postage stamp. Replacement for the cover (just the cover) is over $400.

So glad we made the change.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

What size bed do you have? Ours is a king - king sized sheets fit perfectly. However, when we measured the space available, a king sized mattress measures an inch too wide. There's a lip on the bedside "tables" that we're concerned about when we raise the bed.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We just replaced a king size coil spring with a Sleep Number
Old 02-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you remove the foam pad at the head of the bed a California King fits perfectly.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We replaced our Sleep Number bed with a Tuft and Needle memory foam mattress. The Tuft and Needle mattress has 8000 5-star reviews on Amazon. The Sleep Number bed is just not designed for mobile living. Going up hills and down valleys it inflates and deflates with ambient pressure changes and eventually the air cells fail.

https://www.amazon.com/Tuft-Needle-T...uft+and+needle
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Check Walmart we purchased a memory foam mattress over a year ago it was 299.00 free shipping and it sleeps as good as the one we have at home at 10 times the cost. so check it out at Walmart
Old 03-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We replaced the air mattress because it leaked with a sleep number. There are two choices from camping world. We got the rounded corners but it does not fit as well as the non-rounded would have. We really like it
Old 03-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

From over 30 years of selling mattresses I can tell you John that size is relative. A real king is 78 by 80. A cal king is 72 by 84. You will find that the box springs would measure close to that. However, I have seen as much as 2" over or under on mattresses. I wouldn't sweat it . The extra inch will stuff in.
I don't completely understand your original question. But, it won't hurt a memory foam to bend it if needed. Many memory foams are now sold on adjustable frames (hospital type beds). On the other hand, if you buy an innerspring it has to be made with no border rods or broken border rods so it will bend.
Tempurpedic is overpriced but the best sleep I ever sold. I have 2 sets in my home in Illinois and a knock off in Florida. The knock off is OK......the Tempurpedics are close to 10 years old and haven't softened, or changed at all.
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Hello vito.a just wondering if you still like your mattress? I logged into my amazon account and put that mattress in my shopping cart. Ready to order, if you say you like it. The sleep number bed is deflating on the left side. Hubby's side :( Looking forward to your answer
dhall823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I bought ours on Amazon. It came all rolled up tight and we had to be really careful when unrolling it because Memory foam is fragile. It was 2" longer than it should have been but I am tall so I left it. We put a mattress pad on it because the foam absorbs perspiration and doesn't give it up easily and it feels better.

Two cautions
Only buy ones marked Prime. If you get it from a regular company and have a problem you need to pay to return. Prime takes returns free.
Read the reviews, both good and bad. If you see a lot of similar good ones then click on the reviewer's name and see if they only ever give 5 stars. Those are paid revues.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Replace mattress on 2013 Tour

We bought ours on Amazon! I have my reviews on the Facebook Winnebago Class A Diesel Pusher Owners Forum!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/228615810948729
MountainMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Love the Tuft and Needle mattress. We needed another and my wife found the Sleep Innovations Shiloh. Just as good and $300 less.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Info on Innomax - Maker for Ellipse Air Mattress

I have a 2014 Ellipse QD. After the second time the bed lost air (both times on the same side) I considered a memory foam mattress as a permanent fix to the problem. I called Innomax (800 466-6629), the maker of the air bed for Winnebago and found out they would make a custom memory foam mattress in the exact dimensions as the air one. Innomax convinced me that their bed should not fail twice in 3 years. On the second repair the technician re-routed the hoses that come from the pump and this relieved the stress that was causing the hose to break loose from the pump. Hopefully this is the end of the bed problem. By the way we love the bed and the ability to inflate it to fit our individual needs - we put a memory foam topper on the air mattress and made it even more comfortable.
SamFye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #15
Site Team

We've struggled with our knock-off Sleep Number "I-deal Rest" mattress. And, we've considered getting a memory foam mattress. They say a Cal King "almost" fits and of course you can have a mattress made to fit. Most bigger towns have long establlished mattress factories as that's how you used to buy a mattress before there was a Mattress King etc on every street corner.

We're on a month-long trip right now. We put a 3" synthetic down "feather bed" topper on the I-deal Rest and have found a setting between 15 to 19 works pretty well. So, we may just keep the I-deal Rest mattress for now.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

We have to replace it now, because the left side completely deflates! We are looking at the Tuft & Needle memory foam mattress because of the reviews. I don't think we can use the California King, because it is 4 1/2 inches too long. Thanks for answering.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:23 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Where did you find the Shiloh?
Old 09-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We've had both the Tuft and Needle and Shiloh 12" mattress. Great beds! Only problem is then you will not want to sleep in anything else.
They are both available on Amazon. The Tuft and Needle price has gone up making the Shiloh a bargain.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
We've had both the Tuft and Needle and Shiloh 12" mattress. Great beds! Only problem is then you will not want to sleep in anything else.
They are both available on Amazon. The Tuft and Needle price has gone up making the Shiloh a bargain.
Do you have a king size? What size and model motorhome do you have? We are still debating on whether or not the king tuft and needle or Shiloh will fit. Since our current mattress is 72 x 78 1/2. And the king on Amazon is 76 x 80. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We have a Monaco Signature. It will take either king or queen, but I prefer queen anyway. It gives some extra room on the sides.

If you do purchase a Shiloh mattress, do not unroll it until you get it into the coach bedroom.

Tags
ace, replace