Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

removing Sony backup camera

I have just purchased a 2006 Adventurer 38J with a Sony VCB_MHD1 backup camera. after getting taillight repaired the camera did not work when I got it home. I have read posts that an inline fuse could be blown. either way I need to remove the monitor to check the fuse or replace the whole thing with another monitor or system.. can not find any manuals on the internet how to install or remove and none came with motorhome. ANY help would be appreciated.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Think that the last work done, the shop didn't do you any favors. Take it back to where you had the taillight fixed and tell them to fix the problem they caused.

The camera and the monitor are different parts of the same system. I have seen many cameras that have an inline fuse very near the camera. Which makes sense if you think about it. So pulling the monitor probably wouldn't be necessary.

But I think it's just a mis-wiring by the last tech.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the input... had problems when catalytic converter went bad, computer put rv into limp mode and Good Sam had it towed to nearest shop. while there asked to fix the turn signals. when I got home checked camera no picture, no power to monitor. the fuse in the fuse bank is not blown. The RV repair shop is over 100 miles away.

someone in this forum or one of the others forums stated the difficulty in accessing the inline fuse near the monitor. no way no how can I reach it without removing lots of stuff. there are three cameras and all are just as difficult to reach. was hoping if I could just remove the monitor I could then check for any inline fuse, check the camera, check the monitor or the wiring without removing half of the dash.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

In an earlier RV the backup camera got its' power from the white backup light in the tail light assembly. I'm thinking they may not have reattached this source of power. That's why it only turned on when in reverse ( and the backup lights were activated}.
Grady71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On my 2005 itasca meridian there is a fuse in the rear of the monitor you have to remove the dash cover to get to it 8 screws i think it was.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I know that this is going to sound stupid... I had a friend's kid playing with the knobs, can't remember which one but it caused the screen to go blank. A friend came over and noticed the knob twisted, one simple twist and WORKING!
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

problem solved...there are 4 screws on back side of the dash "dome".. this exposes the inside of the dash. . found the 3amp inline fuse, monitor works again.. thanks for the help

Tags
camera