Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Removing/Replacing Converter in Sightseer/Sunova 35J

Re: My 2007 Sunova 35J which I loved until trying to replace the converter. Quick question: How do you get the bloody thing out. Just can not reach or put enough torque on screws to remove. Am I not trying hard enough? Did anyone just give up and relocate a new converter? If so, where did you install?

I am sure installation was easy before the wall was installed, but it is a bite now.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Is it a square head screw that they used rig you device using the no.2 square bit put it in a 1/4 socket add a little tape to hold it in, attach a small extension and that will give you the extra you need
Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If I recall right, it is held down by industrial grade velcro. I pulled mine out with great force. I was able to pry it out without damage. Mine was working, but not well...I keep it as a spare but now don't know where I put it. I'll keep looking and see if it has velcro. I'd put the new one in the same location since all the wiring is designed to be terminated there,
Old 08-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info. I have now removed. Only took three days, tho did not work on full time. Should have take picture. Short description of location: the 35J is the bunks on slideout model. To get there, you have to extend slide-out, close hallway door, remove panel. Now you can see it. It was mounted on 1x1s with the screws facing away. The motoraid unit is on top blocking easier(?) access to screws. Waterheater is also down there. Main house AC and DC panels are within 4'' of unit.

Just perserved and managed to get 3 of 4 screws out. Then able to pry unit from fourth. When I install the new one, will probably go back to same area. But will just strap in. Really not one of winnie's better designs.

Again thanks for the help.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Glad you stuck in there and got it I've worked on these units for years and I've been in some tight places too like in between the frame rails of a bounder about little over mid ship it was about 30inches wide 12 inches tall and you had to push your tools as you went in and the entry point was in the back compartment
Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I had no idea there was an access panel there. I did the low belly crawl and it wasn't fun. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the encouragement. Always feel good when I outlast these things. The new unit is a bit narrower and will, with minimum mod of framework, push into and on the horizontal 1x1 strips, and will be able to screw directly instead of blind backwards.

On the access panel. When I first bought the unit, the fan on what I learned as the converter ran a lot. Looking, I found this panel. Removed the panel, cut an opening and put a grill there for more airflow.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Big Time

RoadRohrers

Thanks to your information, I was able to find mine rather easily. I had the Bunk Door removed since I'm replacing the carpet with laminate. Replacing the factory battery burner with a Progressive Dynamics. Your instructions saved my day.

Bill
wmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Sometime maybe post what you're doing with the floor and lessons learned? Our J's carpet has to go. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks a million for this post. I followed the information here and just replaced my converter with a Progressive Dynamics 9260. Strongly recommend if anybody is having converter issues, replace it as soon as possible. We were on a lone weekend trip and all was fine until Saturday evening when we suffered a brownout and the AC was running, but only blowing hot air. It got well over 90 at night and was 110 the next day... fortunately we found a dog-friendly hotel. Found the answer to my problem in the forum immediately, but... impossible to get a replacement over the weekend until we got home yesterday.
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter