Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Anyone know the secret of how to remove the front of the dash in an '05 Journey? I took a cue from John Canfield and purchased a new Medallion Info Center to replace the worthless one Freightliner originally provided. But I'll be danged if I can figure out how to get the dash off safely. I took out all the obvious screws and most of the dash is loose. But at the top just right of the aux bat/gen set switches and left of the rear camera monitor it is somehow "attached" to the back cover. I've gingerly tried to separate it assuming it might be a heavy duty spring clip but it feels like it's screwed in...but no screw.

What's the secret?

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Anyone know the secret of how to remove the front of the dash in an '05 Journey? I took a cue from John Canfield and purchased a new Medallion Info Center to replace the worthless one Freightliner originally provided. But I'll be danged if I can figure out how to get the dash off safely. I took out all the obvious screws and most of the dash is loose. But at the top just right of the aux bat/gen set switches and left of the rear camera monitor it is somehow "attached" to the back cover. I've gingerly tried to separate it assuming it might be a heavy duty spring clip but it feels like it's screwed in...but no screw.

What's the secret?

Old 05-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jon

I thought most DP dashes are hinged to lift up... the instrument panel portion of my the dash on my Ultimate Advantage is...
Old 05-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Apparently not on the Freightliner XC chassis rigs (Journey/Meridian).

Old 05-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Jon,

I checked out the parts diagram at:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/%7Eservi...05/5wkp34h.pdf

On page 133 it shows just two plastic tabs holding the top edge on the instument panel cover to the tope edge of the instrument panel. On my 95 Vectra it is pretty much the same and you need to lift the edge of the cover that sits on the dash so that it clears part #14 and slide it foward toward the windshield to get it loose. The first time I took mine off I did have to work it out as there were tabs of velcro in a few places that were a bit reluctant to let go.

Regards,

Neil
Old 05-06-2006, 06:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 04 and the only screws holding the cover are the 4 or 5 along the bottom close to the windshield, 2 screws on the end towards the passenger seat and two at the top of the instrument panel. The cover snaps under the dashpanel but nothing else should be holding it. The 05 looks just like the 04. The Bad News is it won't help you any having it off to put the new medallion in. I took the ac vents out just below and worked thru that opening to hook up the new screen. I looked like I had been in a cat fight afterwards with all the scratches on the hands but well worth it.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:

On page 133 it shows just two plastic tabs holding the top edge on the instument panel cover to the tope edge of the instrument panel. On my 95 Vectra it is pretty much the same and you need to lift the edge of the cover that sits on the dash so that it clears part #14 and slide it foward toward the windshield to get it loose. The first time I took mine off I did have to work it out as there were tabs of velcro in a few places that were a bit reluctant to let go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What I'm atttempting to do is to remove the instrument panel up and forward without unscrewing/removing the cover. I think this will work if I can understand the nature of the two plastic tabs holding the top edge of the instument panel cover to the cover. As best I can tell the one on the right is the only thing preventing removal at this point and I don't want to break it.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I understand now. You have the better idea if it can be done. I didn't go that far to dismantle the dash. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I also did it though the a/c vents. Just take your time and it helps to have small hands. It is well worth it!

2005 Winnebago Journey
Md shedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Jon,
I know you're trying to avoid this, but you probably need to remove the cover. It's not much trouble at all - just remove the obvious screws and it slides right off. I've had mine off many times. As I remember, there was a frame structure behind the dash and it may be bolted to that frame from the back (windshield side). If that's the case, you'll have to have access from the back. Good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I did go ahead and remove the cover. Was avoiding it because of the Sirius radio mount and our SunTek dash cover which was difficult to get lined up right the first time. But it was the right thing to do. Found two screws inside between the instrument panel. Got the info center replaced without much difficulty after that. Should have done this first.

I took pictures and will document step-by-step for dash removal when I get back from a busienss trip.