Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Remove/reinstall Tour QD TV

I've just gotten a sound bar for the main TV in our 13 Tour. I need to get to the back of the set to hook up the bar. I've never messed with a wall mount before. How do I get the thing off the wall? There are 6/8 screws at the top about about that many on the bottom of the mount that look like they are holding the mount to the wall. Is removing all those the way to do it or is there a trick to separating the TV from the mount that I don't know about yet?

Thanks,

........JB
jbstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not familiar with how the set is attached in your rig, but with wall mounts there is generally a "release" lever which needs to be pulled/moved in some way to allow the set to be lifted up and then forward for removal.

Be sure to have help available since there will be cables attached to the TV and you might find you don't have enough hands to do everything which needs to be done.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstok View Post
I've just gotten a sound bar for the main TV in our 13 Tour. I need to get to the back of the set to hook up the bar. I've never messed with a wall mount before. How do I get the thing off the wall? There are 6/8 screws at the top about about that many on the bottom of the mount that look like they are holding the mount to the wall. Is removing all those the way to do it or is there a trick to separating the TV from the mount that I don't know about yet?

Thanks,

........JB
I just did this on my 2012 Ellipse so I could put the TV on a mount. You only have to takeout the screws on the top. You can then lift the TV straight up and it will come out of the mount. It's really ridiculous the way Winnie mounted the TV so that none of the plug ins on the back of the TV were accessible.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys.

I agree that this is a dumb way to do the install. How hard would it have been to find a mount that allows access to the cables?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I agree that this is a dumb way to do the install. How hard would it have been to find a mount that allows access to the cables?
BTW, why are you using a sound bar when you have surround sound? Also, when I removed the TV from my Ellipse, I put it back on with a mount I could pullout and also turn in any direction. With all the devices I have connected to the TV I knew I would be needing to get behind it again.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks guys.

The mounts are always universal. It would be nice if the TV manufactures made mounts, but that would incresae reatil prices.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
F117plt,
What kind of mount did you use? Does it lock in place? if not, has that been an issue driving down the road?
Which wall did you mount it to, the outside wall or the wall that rests behind the driver's seat while driving down the road?

would love pictures.

As far as the surround sound goes...I like it. But, it can be cumbersome to learn how to use it. I think a sound bar is an easy and possibly more powerful solution.

thanks.
GNR tomorrow :0)
Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnteacherguy View Post
F117plt,
What kind of mount did you use? Does it lock in place? if not, has that been an issue driving down the road?
Which wall did you mount it to, the outside wall or the wall that rests behind the driver's seat while driving down the road?

would love pictures.

As far as the surround sound goes...I like it. But, it can be cumbersome to learn how to use it. I think a sound bar is an easy and possibly more powerful solution.

thanks.
GNR tomorrow :0)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405100153.473504.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	706.1 KB
ID:	67539Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405100204.973937.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	678.2 KB
ID:	67540
When you take the TV off the mount, you will find a hole about a foot square behind it. At the top and bottom of this hole is strong framing that the mount was attached to. I used a 2x4 with lag bolts and attached it behind this framing. This gave me something I could attach my mount to. I used a swivel mount from Best Buy. I have not driven the coach since I installed the mount. It doesn't have a lock, so I may have to figure out a way to secure it. Probably a bungee from behind. At the bottom of the picture you can see two of the lag bolts, there are also two at the top. You will end up with a few holes behind the TV. I have temporarily covered these with particle board but plan on doing a little more professional job of cleaning up the back. In any case, the holes are not visible from the front. You might also notice that I replaced the 40" Samsung with a 46" Sony. Plenty of space for the larger TV.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well, I've wasted my time. I'll be returning the sound bar to Amazon, since there is NO output on the Samsung 550 TV in my Tour. My bad for not checking the manual before I planned on doing this, but I've never seen a TV that had NO audio or video outs. I wanted the sound bar because the volume on the TV is barely adequate when all the A/C units are running, and it's tinny sounding. Guess I'll either get used to it or read more when it's hot. Yeah, I'm sorta annoyed both with Winnebago and myself right now.

Bottom line, check the back of the TV before you order anything needing and out jack.

........JB
Old 07-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
thanks F117plt for the details. It has given me several ideas.
First, I have a 42" Samsung at home with access ports on the side. I think I will swap out the two for convenience sake. I might replace that whole back panel with a solid panel that would support the weight of the tv. I also might use some kind of latch (like the kind found on a fence gate) to keep it in place while travelling.

thanks again.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Thanks,

........JB
My '11 Meridian is mounted that way. I have not done it (yet) but I think you can loosen the bottom screws some and remove the top screws. The set should come off the wall then. Don't forget that you have bunch of wires attached to the side or back that you need to avoid detaching. Without a clear picture you may have a problem re-connecting them.

Tags
install