Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Has anyone managed to remove the wood frame around the front tv on a 2004 Meridian or Journey in order to eliminate the terrible noise made by the cabinet on a slightly rough road? My selling dealer only tightened a couple screws, which lasted less than 50 miles. A second dealer (my selling dealer is now out of business) said it would take 2 hours to fix and Winnebago would only allow 30 minutes. I tried to get information directly from Winnebago about how this tv cabnet comes apart so I could fix it myself, but was told to just take it back to the last shop for a fix. Has anyone done this job theirselves? Appreciate any help on this project. There doesn't seem to be any screws, buttons, or other attachments visible from the front of the tv.
Wagonmaster2
2004 36' Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Has anyone managed to remove the wood frame around the front tv on a 2004 Meridian or Journey in order to eliminate the terrible noise made by the cabinet on a slightly rough road? My selling dealer only tightened a couple screws, which lasted less than 50 miles. A second dealer (my selling dealer is now out of business) said it would take 2 hours to fix and Winnebago would only allow 30 minutes. I tried to get information directly from Winnebago about how this tv cabnet comes apart so I could fix it myself, but was told to just take it back to the last shop for a fix. Has anyone done this job theirselves? Appreciate any help on this project. There doesn't seem to be any screws, buttons, or other attachments visible from the front of the tv.
Wagonmaster2
2004 36' Meridian
Old 04-07-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I share your frustration. Ours rattled enough to drive us nuts on even a "slightly" rough road. The dealer seems to have really tightened it up well and it is now fine. Wish they could fix the other problems as well.

I have to say that having five thumbs on each hand I'd not want to play with that frame.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, I know what you mean bout the 5 thumbs. I dread trying to get it off, AND BACK ON BY MYSELF, but I may have to anyway. There's also a place where the lower board on the overhead cabinets sets in a groove on each side of the tv cabinet and the driver's side is actually touching the tv cabinet, which makes a very loud squeak all the time. If I can get the bezel off I can hone or cut the groove a little deeper. The right side over the passenger doesn't touch and doesn't make any noise. May just have to play the radio louder.. Thanks for the response.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:10 AM   #5
rg
Winnebago Camper

You will need to take out the screws holding the plastic cover. These screws are near the wind shield and are covered by little pop in caps. I used a ice pick style tool to pop them out. Then there is two screws located inside the two sat and video compartments. When you look inside the compartments they are down low next to the TV on each side. If your surround speaker is in the wood cover then pop off the speaker cover and take the four screws out. Remove the speaker and un plug the wires from it. The cover slides down now. I took the nuts off and added Loctite to the threads before re-installing. I put a little grease on the inside of the slot and it has stopped the squeaking.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:23 AM   #6

After you remove the plactic shroud from the bottom, by popping the caps out of the washer heads, On each side of the TV, inside the side cabinets, there are 2 screws securing the wood trim. This will allow you to get to the strap that holds the TV.

This was one of my very first fixes. Loosen the strap and pull the TV out, you'll need a second person with strong arms to hold it while you do the following.
Needed Items:
* Get your self a sheet of 1/4" foam.
* Wire ties
* 8 ft long x 1-1/2" wide x 1/8" thick rubber material.
* Spray adhesive(3m #77)

With the TV out and the wires held up, wipe the shelf the area the TV sat on. Take the sheet of foam (2ft x 2ft) and fit it to the shelf. Once you've done that, take the sheet of foam out and spary the bottom lightly with the adhesive and place it back on the shelf. If you have any foam left, and you should, wrap it around the bundle of wires and use wire ties to secure it. This will stop the raddling of the bundle on cold mornings.
Now place the TV back on the shelf, with the retaining strap loose. Put the 1-1/2" rubber material around the TV, between the the strap and the TV Cabinet. Position the TV so it's flush with trim and tighten the straps securely. Make sure the TV doesn't touch the shroud or the trim and put everything back to gether.

I did this on both of our coaches, (2001 Adventure 35U & 2003 Journey DL39QD) and it stopped the noise up front.

Surprising how much raddling noise the wires make, but once their wrapped and tied with the foam it's all gone.

Tomcat F15
Old 04-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I think you will find the top strap bolts that holds the tv will be loose. I had the same problem and double nutted those bolts. You could also use lock nuts.. Have had no problems since..
cmaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Just signed on for the evening. Thanks everyone for all the excellent information. It may be a while before I get to try it,but I'm certainly going to try. Putting something like this back together is always the problem for me, IF I can get it apart. It sounds like this project could be a two-person job to handle everything as it all comes loose and starts to drop down when all the screws are removed. Is it very difficult getting the shroud and wood framework all back in place at the same time and holding it in place while the first screws are started?
Wagonmaster2
Old 04-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Ours was squeeking and my husband had a roll of hard rubber tape about 1/4 inch thick and 2 inches wide. He forced it along the edges deep enough that it can't be seen and it took care of the problem.
Good Luck
Old 04-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Great tips. I'll have to take my TV out again I still have squeaks. I'll insulate it, tape it, foam it and wrap wires. One other suggestion, put a towel down over the dash vents, the screws and caps are attracted to those openings.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Since this is a Winnebago forum and the noisy TV cabinet seems to be a problem I'm reading about here and on several other forums, I wonder why Winnebago has let this problem go for so long. It seems several different models, both gas and diesel, back as far as 2000 have been having this problem. When I first mentioned it to my selling dealer's technician at about 4 months, he started grinning before I even finished talking about the noise. He knew all about it, but either didn't know how to fix it right or didn't take the time. I still don't understand why the second dealer I took it to said Winnebago would only allow them 30 minutes to try to fix it, but after getting the coach home and I called Winnebago to ask for instructions to do it myself, they said they would authorize whatever time it would take. I guess another case of "he says they say".
wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36'
Old 04-13-2005, 04:08 AM   #12

wagon,

The he says, they said goes for Winnebago. You have to remember, we are the customer. We're the ones that get the story in the end. Winnbago Customer Service Manager and his bright Service Advisor gave us verbal and e-mail written authorization to get our coach fixed, parts and work done, as a result of problems Winnebago caused during assembly and at servcie during last years GNR. Verbally and by e-mail, they told us they would take care of everything, "just pay the bills and send them the receipts". Ya, right! Both of these ______s denied the major expense receipts and told us we were out of warranty. Heres a profound case of he says, he said. Even when it's in written form, they still don't honor their word.

Oh, and yes; I fixed our TV and everything else that raddled. Our coach was a raddle box when we frist got it. It took time and a little ingenuity, but it's quite now.

Tomcat F15
Old 04-13-2005, 06:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My TV does not squeak (or squawk). I guess I was lucky.
Walt