Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I am trying to figure out what is the best replacement sub flooring to use (upgrade) to offer better durability/strength/sound deadening than just using plywood etc. Figure I might as well "do-it-right" while I have everything out.
StarfireGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #22
RJG
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricody View Post
It is overwhelming, but a lot of members here are really helpful and have a lot of ideas. I'm finishing this part today, traveling this weekend(don't start a project right before you have to travel) it is very stressful, then we are installing the wood floor, after that it will be the ceiling, antenna,traveling lights, roof (I want to start in December this part of the project), it is too hot during the summer in SW Florida, and we will see what else to do. Keep us post when you start your projevt and good luck with it.
Ricody, awesome job.!! I also have a Itaska 94' DP. Thinking of starting my floors soon, although I have been doing a bunch of other stuff lately. Mine is a different floor plan than yours, I think we have a good foundation to build on. Thanks for the pics. Take care. Ray..
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Ricody Send a message via Yahoo to Ricody Send a message via Skype™ to Ricody
Remodeling our 1994 Itasca Winnebago suncruiser

[QUOTE=butterbean;737432]HOWDY RICODY,
THAT'S LOOKING GOOD... BY THE TIME YOU GET THROUGH WITH YOURS I'LL
BRING MY '98 DOWN HERE AND YALL CAN DO IT !!!!! SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST DAMN LUCKY... EVERYTHING I BUY ONLINE OR OFF CRAIGSLIST IS 'caca'
(Spanish)....
/QUOTE]
Hello Butterbean, I took a trip to Estero,Fl, without finishing the floor installation or partitions inside the motorhome, and we had a great time at kaurishian state park? $52.00 dollars from Friday 1:00 pm to Sunday 1:00 pm(don't remember the spelling).
When I buy from craiglist I try to buy locally so I can go and inspect the merchandise before hand s well as garage sales, you will be surprise of how many good deals you can find,I even found the tools to install the wooden floor for $3.00, so I don't complain to the wife anymore when she want to go to them.
The project is coming out very solid but my back is broken down, even with the help of some friends(I kind of finish putting the lastr pieces of plywood on Friday at 6:30 pm )while the family was already load up in the motorhome on our way to the campground).
You are welcome to stop by if you pass by SW Florida, I don't know how much help I could be, I'm starting to look like my M/H, all broken down and old.

Thank you for the encoragement.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I agree, I have gotten plenty of good deal on things using Craigslist, just have to act quick and call first, as I have had several things sold our from under me, but people getting to the item first. And unlike ebay, you can actually inspect the items BEFORE you hand over your hard earned cash. On the subject of good deals for building materials look and see if there is a building materials recycling store, in my cities they have Habitat for Humanity stores where people and business donate used and/or unused building materials etc and they sell them for pennies on the dollar.

On the subject of sub-flooring, what are the suggestions for the best upgrade there for best stability, noise and durability? I am thinking of using masonite board as one or two of the layers.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Ricody Send a message via Yahoo to Ricody Send a message via Skype™ to Ricody
Ray, post a link so we can see your progress, I was hesitant to start working on mine until I started reading this forum and got all into it. Good luck with the project.
Ricody
Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Starfire guy, I did consider masonite boars (I used a piece of 2'x3' under the toilet, but it is very heavy so I went with plywood, i'm in the process of finishing that section and I'm going to be installing a roll of rubbery material used on the floor not to slip,I think that will help more with the sound and any water that may get there.I will be posting, see if it will work for you.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #27
RJG
Winnebago Camper

Hi Ricody, hows it going, Hey I was wondering if you have ran across your H20 pump and where it was located on your rig, mine is the same year and model although its diesel don't know if that would make a difference? and a different floor plan. I haven't found the pump on mine so far. Thanks, Ray...
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

H20

Hello Ray,still trying to finish my floor project (I did travel without partitions or bathroom), we had a blast!

Ray, my Itasca is gas, the pump is in the last compartment on the driver side on the outside of the rig, i have a hand held shower and you can see one of the holding water tanks inthe same compartment, it is visible as soon as you open the compartment door. Hope it helps.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricody View Post
Starfire guy, I did consider masonite boars (I used a piece of 2'x3' under the toilet, but it is very heavy so I went with plywood, i'm in the process of finishing that section and I'm going to be installing a roll of rubbery material used on the floor not to slip,I think that will help more with the sound and any water that may get there.I will be posting, see if it will work for you.
Is the "rubbery" material you're going to use the same as the "underlayment" that the flooring requires, or is what your using more heavy duty? And if more heavy duty, what is the name of it, and where did you get it, as that sounds exactly what I would like to do also?

Thx
Chris
Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Chris,
Doesn't look like the underlayment material, but I think it will do the same job, it looks more like the material you use in the cargo vans, in the cargo areas or the rubber you lay on the floor in front of a working benchnot to slipt,it is like 36" by 50 ft long, we bought it for a projectin a playground, to put on the side walk so people wouldn't slipt coming out of it. If you happen to be by SW Florida before you start working on your project, stop by,I will have left over material for sure
Old 12-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Hmmm, that is thinker than I thought. Where did you get it? Can you get it a Lowe's or Home Depot etc? Got a picture of it? Might be near Orlando in January actually, if nothing else could see what you've done and how you did it!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Chris, I looked in Grainger.com(a lot of purchases from there), but couldn't find it,I was almost sure it was from there, I'm trying to finish the project to update with some images, I will take a picture of the roll(as is) and later will take a picture installed. I bought the underlayment and returned to Lowes, i think this will do the same job (and it is free).
we are in the Naples area, 4 hours from Orlando, some nice State Parks around here, around $29.00 a night if you are interested.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #33
RJG
Winnebago Camper

Hey Ricody, thanks for the location haven't got a chance to look yet, this weekend though, hope things are coming along well. Ray..
Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Cool Remodeling our 1994 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser

I'm back, finally I had some extra time to work in our project (I haven't been able to retire yet, maybe in another...20 years!!

This is what it looks like after the 1/4 lauan, 3/4 foam, 3/4 plywood and finally a 1/4 plywood (sandwitch floor) on top of each other.

I used a/c metallic tape in every crieze to help out dampering sound and any air coming in or out.

The water heater section was the hardest to work at, a lot of cuts and patches there because of all the electrical connections coming up thrue the floor and the water hoses pain in my back!!!!. I used a piece of du-rock in front of the toilet, I should had done the whole bathroom that way but I was afraid of the final extra weight.

Tomorrow I will start working on installing the underlayment.
I returned the one I bought at Lowes and decided to use this rubbery material I had left over(hate spending money this time of the year), I think it is actually used on the floor on factories so workers won't slip/fall; It is kind of heavy but i'm sure it will really damp the sound and won't allowed any air to come in or out thrue the floor

Tomorrow I will start installation, wish me luck!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

My back is killing me but I'm almost done installing the underlayment, it work out pretty good, a stronger material, will last for a long time.

Below see tools I used during installation, the square rulers were only used to make the cuts on the rubber because none of the walls wer at square.

I used a lot of 1/2 18 ga bratz to attach the rubber matterial to the plywood, I'm sure it will hold for a long time.

I left out a section unfinish on the picture so you could see the difference.Tomorrow I will upload one more picture with the section completely done, hopefully in 2 days I will start putting in the wooden floor. There is always a first time.

Tags
remodeling, repairs, suncruiser, winnebago