Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2021, 02:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Red face Refrigerator While Independent REF: 2004 Suncruiser 33V

Where I'm at I need to put my RV in a parking lot and I'm gonna venture off for a couple days. I'm concerned about my refrigerator and the items in it. Can I just put it on LP gas and my stuff will stay cold.
The RV will not be plugged in or part of any energy source.
How handle this type situation?
Thank you in advance
Peggy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Team

There are a lot of variables with this - so it's hard to tell you yes it will be OK or not.

While the fridge does run on Propane, it also uses some battery power to operate as well. If the battery dies the fridge will stop and your food will be ruined.

So, I'm sure the next question will be "how long will my battery last?" But we can't answer that question. We don't know how much battery storage you have or the condition and age of those batteries. The only way for you to know this is from your experience running the fridge from battery only.

If you have no experience with this then you should find a way to plug your coach in to shore power, even if it's just 15 amp house power, if you're going to be away for more than 24-hours.

Otherwise, your experience with leaving your fridge on for days could be good... or really bad.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you! Considering the age of my mobile RV, I think I'd better find somewhere to put the food. And my lack of experience. Lololol 😆
Old 06-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Need Crash Course being Independent - Mobile RV- 2004 itasa suncruiser 33V

I just found out that I need to go to a parking lot for a couple days and I've never been independent with this mobile RV. Can somebody give me a crash course on how this works with the generator and such.

Thank you in advance, Peggy
Old 07-05-2021, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Leaving a coach unattended, unplugged and running for days is problematic at best. You could bite the bullet as the expression goes and get new house batteries along with one of the larger solar powered battery chargers to connect to the house batteries and leave it out on the dashboard or install an auto start on the generator to have it automatically run and charge those batteries whenever they get low.

I went with the Onan Energy Command unit on my 2001 Adventurer 35U for Automatically Starting the generator when needed which has been very reliable.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:16 PM   #6

SOLAR + KeyLine VSR Offer Reliable Battery Charging & Outside Storage Protection

I know you are in a hurry, but you already reached the best conclusion on your own.

So in the future, circumstances such as these begs for a solution, which if you had more time you could accomplish.

Have you ever considered adding 400W of solar to your roof? These kits by Renogy are mostly affordable; and if you ever connect with a RV type of handyman, you might then consider it.

In the meantime, you can watch some YouTube videos on the subject to get familiar with the concept; and then I would recommend you look into the addition of a Keyline VSR so your solar power can charge both your house batteries and your engine batteries.

This combination of solar + solar controller + VSR is not only perfect when you are using your RV; it's also perfect for anyone who stores their RV outside; and wants to protect their house and engine batteries from going dead in storage.

For more information you can do a search by typing "imnprsd VSR" in the above Winnebago search bar or copy this to your browser search bar: "imnprsd VSR site:winnieowners.com"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	179971   Click image for larger version

Name:	KeyLine Voltage Sensive Relay (VSR).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	179972  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags