Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2005, 02:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone had the recall done on the 4 door refrigerator vent. Sure hate the thought of someone cutting into my roof.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone had the recall done on the 4 door refrigerator vent. Sure hate the thought of someone cutting into my roof.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

UPS,

I only know of a recall by the refrigerator company Norcold, but that's for 2000 models and older. What recall are you refering to? If you know the detail, please post them here.

Radarr
Old 11-17-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Link to NHTSA site with information on Winnie fridge vent recall
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Variable SEARCHTYPE is undefined.

The Error Occurred in D:\cfwebroot\cars\problems\recalls\results.cfm: line 88

86 : <!--- For QuickSearch check for any change in number --->
87 : <cfif SearchType eq 'QuickSearch'>
88 : <cfif Not IsDefined('Lookup')>
89 : <cfset LookupModule="RE">
90 : <cfset LookupId = #RCL_ID#>
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

ups34, I have a 2004 Adventurer with the 4 door ref. I got a recall and did have it fixed. I was very unhappy that it had to be done. The ref is not supose to be used on gas or elect until repair was made, acording to my dealer. It seems that the vent pipe was causing roof fires, on over 1500 units. A new hole was made 6 inches away from the oringinal vent cap hole. The repair kit for the old hole came as part of the recall. I have not got up on the roof to look at the old hole as it would just %%%% me off. Vet Man
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

oh boy.. Just looked at the fix planned. You would think for the money we could just get a larger vent installed. No we get a patch. I wonder if some high person or any person that works for winny would like a patch put on his roof if his sun roof leaked. I don't think so.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You would think for the money we could just get a larger vent installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The roof vent has to be sized according to Norcolds spec so that the upward draft functions correctly.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

There is no action taken against the so called Engineer that makes these design mistakes. The owner has to live with it. If I did not get it fixed and have a problem then what? I get the roof checked by the dealer yearly so I have a record of it, to cover myself if there are future leaks. This is my last Winnebago. Vet Man
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Had the open roof surgery done last week and still hate the thought of someone cutting into my roof. I didn't climb up there with the tech because I knew my intransigent personality wouldn't mesh with his . The fix consisted of moving the hole about a foot back towards the rear of the coach. The patch material is not the same as the roof material. The patch is ugly. The patch is well sealed and waterproof. I was really surprised at the volume and high temperature of the air being vented. I can now see how a fire could be generated in the "chimney". The bottom line is, I'm happy with the patch. One would have to be up on the roof to see it and we didn't buy the coach to impress anyone. It doesn't leak, it's out of sight, and it works, which should obviate the chance of going thru a smoke test.

Blkftvet & maplemom
'04 Journey 39K
Triple Slides
C7/330
KVH In-Motion Dome
'05 Honda Pilot with
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I had the repair done yesterday. Beckleys in Frederick did and excellent job on the repair. I was not happy about having to do this. But im sure happy I have Beckleys to do my repairs. Great sales and service.
Make sure you get this done. There is a problem and the part removed shows signs of high heat.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone post some pictures of the patch?

8.1 litre
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hey Rebelsbeach, Thanks for posting the recall fix site. It really helped me understand the problem. Also thanks for everone else's comments they are helpful. I have been worrying about getting this done.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre> Don't know how to post a picture
Old 12-15-2005, 03:46 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

John,in the top right corner of this page,click on the "photo" link then...

1. Be sure your logged-in. This does require separate registration from the forum, but will work in all review areas as well as photo gallery, and if cookies are enabled on your browser you will remain logged-in in all of these areas without having to sign-in at every visit.
2. Click on the "Upload Photos" link located to the right and just below the photos listed here on the front page.

3. Select the category your photo belongs in.

4. Click the browse button to locate the photo on your hard drive. Note: the optimum size of photo is 700 x 700 pixels. This program will automatically reduce your photo if it is larger, but very large pictures will cause a error.

5. Add your comments

6. Click on the Upload/Submit button.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

UPS 34, Glad you had a good experience with Beckleys.Mine is there right now and they finished the recall work. I have not seen it yet because they need to wait for a part for something else. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

While I was at dealer today,a gentleman brought his coach in for the recall....THIS is what what found!! Talk about a good catch!!
This is a cutaway piece of the vent material and where it's discolored is CHAR!!

Old 02-18-2006, 08:25 AM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

This picture speaks for itself....thought it important enough to bump at least once so that anyone who thinks it's ok to "blow off" the recall might reconsider....I was truly amazed with this damage. Think about what this may have done over time?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
While I was at dealer today,a gentleman brought his coach in for the recall....THIS is what what found!! Talk about a good catch!!
This is a cutaway piece of the vent material and where it's discolored is CHAR!!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>