Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear stone guard '15 Tour

15 Tour; After reversing, and getting stuck/sunk into soft sand.........(.lots of backwards and forwards movements and then having to dig it out ), the rear stone guard that hangs down under the tail with "Winnebago" in chrome on it, was badly damaged ( both the chrome logo and the plastic backing sheet ). Does anyone know if an aftermarket version is made by anyone ??

Also, does anyone have excessive wind noise from the big side window by the drivers seat ?? Its not the mirror .

Thanks
Tyreabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There are aftermarket but why replace it when I see nothing positive about the "vanity flap".
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thats an interesting position to take Jerry J . I never gave that aspect one thought ! I considered it as a way to make sure that your toad didnt get smashed up by flying stones !
Old 10-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
There are aftermarket but why replace it when I see nothing positive about the "vanity flap".
What he said. There are various posts on iRV2 and probably other places as to why the heavy vanity flap across the back is not a good idea. We learned that too late.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Can u let me know what u learnt please ??
Old 10-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I personally took my rear flap off. It was close enough to the ground it was causing a spray of gravel to fly up on my toad. My daughter noticed it following us in the rain. She said that flap caused a pattern of water to cover the whole Jeep. I wished she had taken a picture.

Anyway, our Jeep would be covered in dirt and gravel and I would get pebbles in the seams and air intakes that I would have to pick out. Took the flap off and nothing - unbelievable.

In defense of the flap - I think if you can keep it 2" off the ground at all times probably no issues. I could not because we have a motorcycle lift on the back that lowered it a bit and even after trimming it, I could not get that clearance.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyreabusa View Post
Can u let me know what u learnt please ??
See post #6. Other folks have documented the fact that the presence of that stone or mud or whatever it is flap does damage to a towed vehicle. If a coach has basement air, like our older coaches do, then also dirt and rocks get thrown up into its exposed grating that faces the road.

I think, but cannot prove, that the flap has caused the second failure of our fan control module. We have a side radiator and I think junk gets thrown up there because the flap makes a vortex action and what does not get sprayed on the towed vehicle gets thrown back toward the rear tires. I think that somebody also mentioned that in one of the posts I referred to before.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have found, that regular mud flaps work great at keeping things off the toad and RV, been travelling since 2007, just my experience.

Load wind noise at driver's side window. There are little plastic covers over the bottom window frame weep holes. If missing or loose, they can cause noise. Duct tape over them, drive a bit, see if the noise goes away.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

oops, Loud wind noise. . .
Old 10-31-2018, 05:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
15 Tour; After reversing, and getting stuck/sunk into soft sand.........(.lots of backwards and forwards movements and then having to dig it out ), the rear stone guard that hangs down under the tail with "Winnebago" in chrome on it, was badly damaged ( both the chrome logo and the plastic backing sheet ). Does anyone know if an aftermarket version is made by anyone ??

Also, does anyone have excessive wind noise from the big side window by the drivers seat ?? Its not the mirror .

Thanks
Very interesting! Our "ITASCA" flap was damaged this weekend during a backup maneuver and I was also looking at ways to repair or replace it. Based on these comments I think I'll remove it and see how things go.
Thank you everyone!
BellOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian42e View Post
I personally took my rear flap off. It was close enough to the ground it was causing a spray of gravel to fly up on my toad. My daughter noticed it following us in the rain. She said that flap caused a pattern of water to cover the whole Jeep. I wished she had taken a picture.

Anyway, our Jeep would be covered in dirt and gravel and I would get pebbles in the seams and air intakes that I would have to pick out. Took the flap off and nothing - unbelievable.

In defense of the flap - I think if you can keep it 2" off the ground at all times probably no issues. I could not because we have a motorcycle lift on the back that lowered it a bit and even after trimming it, I could not get that clearance.
All mfgrs. of the wide "mudflaps", Duraflap is one, say 4" is the minimum clearance to reduce the odds of it flipping up debris.
When we caravaned to Alaska, by the time we reached the Alaska border everyone who had one on their MH had removed it. Individual mud/stone flaps right behind the duals worked best if kept 4" clearance also.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Load wind noise on Tour

I had the same problem and while at factory the technician adjusted or replaced the small piece of trim below on the fwd lower part of the windo and the noise went away
jvcardyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks
Weep hole covers. You’re missing one. They fall off or other WBGO owners steal them.

When buying them on Amazon note that there are left hand and right hand versions. They come 2 or 3 to a pack and cost about $7. I find the WBGO dealers are usually out of stock on them.

I seem to lose one every 18-months.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

CREATIVEPART & JVCARDYN, Would you mind posting a pic pointing at the exact part please ??