Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 02:45 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Rear bumper bolts pulling through

While standing the rear of the RV the other day, I happened to notice that the bolts (or at least one) holding the bumper on appear to be pulling through whatever deteriorating material is on the other side. See pics.
I had discovered the deteriorating material last year, cleaned the area and sprayed a light coat of undercoating on it hoping to stave off this, or some other similar problem. I guess it didn't work out as planned.
So, does anyone know what this deteriorating material is? It's degrading like a thin piece of aluminum but I can't tell what it is nor what's behind it. However, I do predict bad things if I can't get it stopped/corrected.
My temporary plan for the bumper is to take off the cover (to hold the bolts if necessary) and then spray and remove the nuts, install a piece of aluminum (long enough to cover both bolts) and install new ss nuts and lock washers.
Thoughts on the subject?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120554 (2)_LI.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	171710   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120556 (2).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	171711  

Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Clearly it's pulling through the actual body material. My 2002 is still solid so I can't give any advice based on experience but I suspect the bumper caught on something that pulled it loose. From the way the bumper is mounted, it appears to be primarily a cosmetic feature.

In the second photo, is that a spacer or a plug that's pulled loose?

In any case, although your suggested solution makes sense at first blush, I'm wondering if a smaller, localized repair on the bolt that's pulled loose would make more sense. Your suggested repair could cause much more significant damage should the bumper snag on something again.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:19 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks. I don't believe the bumper has ever been in any sort of incident, or if so, I've never seen any evidence of it. As far as decorative, I can see steel structural material where the bolts goes through and the plastic covering is just decorative. I'll take pics if I have to take the cover off to hold the bolts.

Behind the plastic cover, the carriage? bolts go through the bushing you referenced, then through whatever material is on the other side and then flat & lock washer and nut. I believe it's simply the material that's deteriorating and the springyness of the bumper that's pulling it through. I'm certain the angle aluminum will keep them from pulling through and if I ever snag the bumper, I'll deal with it then.
What I was really hoping to find out from someone is what the material is, how is it mounted and any possible solutions for repairing or replacing it. It is certainly located in a pita area to work within.

I haven't called Winnie but I've had mixed success with them - maybe Winnie parts?
Guess we'll see how the thread goes. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I always assumed it was steel. Maybe test it with a magnet? Where the taillights penetrate, the back wall material is thin Luan with a very thin sheet of fiberglass composite material. Melts when it sees water!