Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

radius of roof poped out.

A first owner it think used eternalbond on the front cap and down the sides.
now it seams to have failed my driver side came out about 6 to 8 ft. i did manage to get the metal edge back in the canal . but how to fix it ? do i have to have it removed and replaced? this is a 2006 adventure 33v workhorse. thanks Larry
Larry K. L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Team

There is nothing mechanical that holds the roof into that channel. Just roof sealant.

Here's a video from the best guy on YouTube at fixing Winnebago roofs.

Watch this closely and you 'll learn what's needed.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

roof radius seal

2006 adventure 33V.
there is a sticky i think is a type tape on the side seal . it came out of a chanal. My questions what can i do with this tape type stuff .does it have to be removed to seal the radios or what . i looked at the RV podcast about cleaning and re sealing . mime is not shine paint . it looks like duc tape about 3 to 4 in wide
Thanks [email protected]
Old 07-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
Site Team

I'm sorry, I can't tell from your description what you are seeing. But Winnebago has been making Class A roof's like this forever.

Of course, it's completely possible that a previous owner - like the guy that put Eternabond on it - did some attempt at taping it down.

The video I attached is THE way to do it and as he shows in his video he removes everything before adding the new sealant.

And pay close attention to the sealant he mentions - do not go out and get something you "think" might work.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Glad I saw this, I watched the video entirely and went to check my roof and sure enough the seal has failed in many areas, in fact I'm not going to drive it till it's fixed. Going to pick up the Proflex tomorrow and start on it as soon as I finish my refrigerator installation. Does anyone happen to know how long between the initial application and the cap bead? He doesn't mention that in the video.
Creativepart you may have saved me a roof, Thanks
Old 07-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry K. L View Post
2006 adventure 33V.
there is a sticky i think is a type tape on the side seal . it came out of a chanal. My questions what can i do with this tape type stuff .does it have to be removed to seal the radios or what . i looked at the RV podcast about cleaning and re sealing . mime is not shine paint . it looks like duc tape about 3 to 4 in wide
Thanks [email protected]
The tape can likely be pulled up using a heat gun (or hair dryer). You soften it up a little and pull.

If it's Eternabond tape, just cut it 6" beyond where it's peeling up at, clean up the roof and put more Ebond down. It's rare for it to fail unless it's installed when the roof is real dusty, or had morning dew on it. The other way it fails is if the roof gets racked too often on the road to the owner's favorite campsite. Racking too often will cause any method of holding a Winnie roof on to fail, even Ebond.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

It is a pretty common issue for people to cover a problem with Eternabond Tape instead of fixing the root cause which is that the Adhesive on that joint needs to be replaced as shown in the video.

If any form of Silicone Caulking was used it will not have the adhesive properties required to hold that joint together and any silicone residue that exists will have prevented the Eteranbond that is already there from sticking properly and will continue to cause any new Eternabond to also fail so the residue from the Eternabond and all the old sealants will have to be completely removed in order to fix the original problem correctly.

Eternabond is Butyl Rubber tape so an adhesive remover will need to be used to remove the residue from it and it will require some elbow grease and a goodly amount of remover and rags. Contrary to the name EternaBond is not eternal and will fail as sunlight and time take their toll on it. Once the Mylar or aluminum film eventually fails it will tear apart and the joint will open up even under the best of circumstances. Yes it is good butyl rubber tape however it still will eventually fail just like all butyl rubber tapes and leave behind a residue that requires a good deal of effort to clean up.

When shopping for the replacement Urethane Adhesive required to complete the repair properly be very careful about the manufacture date as the mandated urethane adhesives usually must be applied before 9 months have passed since the date of manufacture. I have purchased Urethane Adhesive only to find it well past 9 months old and now too old to have good adhesion when applied. Do not order extra either if you won't be using it before the 9 months expires.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Dunno where you got your info, NeilV but Eternabond is NOT butyl tape. Butyl is designed to be between things, not covering them like a tape such as Eternabond is designed to do.

"All EternaBond® tapes are made using advanced MicroSealant Technology®. Made from a unique combination of resins and rubbers, and infused with a built in primer, Eternabond® is one of the most aggressive adhesives currently available, yet EternaBond® is environmentally friendly."

The smooth colored surface layer is a tough TPO-like skin, that lasts for decades in direct sunlight, making it near perfect for roofs, and it's widely used in the construction industry on flat roofs.

Yes, if it's installed incorrectly, it can peel off slowly due to wind or weather but it's really easy to replace if it does peel. I've done seams myself with Ebond that were done in rainy moist conditions that needed to be replaced a couple years later but it pealed up easily, the surface was fine, and the restuck Ebond is still holding now 5 years later. Only used my heat gun a few places on that 9 foot long 4" wide tape seam. I used it on my '94 and rarely needed to do anything to it other than add some new tape now and again as the old caulking aged. Owned that rig since '04 to '16 and the Ebond tape held up extremely well. Better than the roof did. Immediately added Ebond tape to my '02 rig as soon as I bought in '16 it because Ebond works and works well. Over the years, have only needed to smooth out a wrinkle or two, and fix that one seam I mentioned.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Dunno where you got your info, NeilV but Eternabond is NOT butyl tape. Butyl is designed to be between things, not covering them like a tape such as Eternabond is designed to do.

"All EternaBond® tapes are made using advanced MicroSealant Technology®. Made from a unique combination of resins and rubbers, and....

Despite the advertising prose its still a form of Synthetic or Co-polymer Rubber Tape. Indeed Butyl, EVA, ETC Co-polymer Rubber Tapes come either faced with Mylar, Webbing, Aluminum or un-faced, I have used them extensively on roofing projects, metal porch roofs, etc, etc and have had the white Mylar Eternabond membrane fail in less than a decade out it the Florida Sun. Its a better grade than some of the other brands of similar roof and flashing tapes but from over a decade of experience with the product in multiple applications I can verify that even when properly installed on clean surfaces its not eternal. As for the 10 or 25 year warranties they do not cover the cost of repairing any damages, labor or shipping when it fails.

I've also used the Cofair version along with other competing products with similar results with a slight edge going to Eternabond on useful life in application. All leave a sticky mess to clean up if applied properly to a clean surface without any waxes, silicone residues, etc on them. If you can't get all the old adhesive off you can if its smooth enough often apply new Eternabond and other compatible Co-polymer Rubber tapes over the residue.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Sealant plus Eternabond makes sense to me. Neil's comment about Eternabond failing in "less than a decade" doesn't sound too bad to me if it's on the 5+ year side.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bob
i have watch his vido 3 time and its good stuff. If only there was not this 3 in strip of tape across the front cap and down the driver and passenger side. it covers the little u canal
and up about 2 and a half inch up. that is what i am trying to understand how to deal with the tape stuff to the coke the rail
Old 06-11-2023, 07:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Glad I saw this, I watched the video entirely and went to check my roof and sure enough the seal has failed in many areas, in fact I'm not going to drive it till it's fixed. Going to pick up the Proflex tomorrow and start on it as soon as I finish my refrigerator installation. Does anyone happen to know how long between the initial application and the cap bead? He doesn't mention that in the video.
Creativepart you may have saved me a roof, Thanks
Watch the video at about 15 minutes he explains this. He did the initial run in the grove and then went back over with the cap bead while it was wet.

I just did this to my 38R all 39 feet of the motorhome on both sides. I let it dry for 2 days before moving the motorhome.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof