Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Radio in 2006 Winnebago Voyage remains on

I have a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 34 feet long. It has a problem with the dashboard radio, in that it will not shut off, no matter what I do. I have pushed the on-off button and the green backlight on the radio display continually stays on. This is draining the engine battery, even though I keep the vehicle plugged into 30 amp shore power. I have turned all 12 volt dc power off, yet the radio display remains lit.

Does anyone have an idea to shut the radio off which is not too costly.
Rakatansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There's a dash switch that switches the radio between 'on the road' mode, and 'parked at a RV park' mode. It's probably just in the wrong position. Also, if you're just parking your RV for a few days, just disconnect the battery ground(s) on the chassis batts, and the jumper between the 6 volt house batteries. There are many phantom loads on the batteries at all times even with the main batt switches off. Like engine and tranni memories.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You might also check for a little RESET button on the front of the radio. I don't know which radio you have, but the Magnadyne radio in my 2005 Vectra has one just to the left of the cassette slot.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I long for the days that a car/RV radio had two knobs, one on/off/volume and one frequency knob plus some pre-set buttons. I never can remember how to use the multifunction buttons on the aftermarket radio in my MH. It's even worse since none of my vehicles have the same radio. I'm a licensed Ham radio operator and am familiar with all sorts of electronic and computerized gear.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Look for a rocker switch on the dash or near the radio that says “House” and “Engine”. It says Radio Power above the switch.

In the house position the radio is on all the time. In the Engine position the radio power is keyed with your RV’s ignition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B18903A8-BBF8-4F09-B47F-79AA7F33E74A.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	176678  
Old 01-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you. I tried what you recommend and the radio display turns off when the toggle switch is in the engine position.
Rakatansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakatansky View Post
I have a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 34 feet long. It has a problem with the dashboard radio, in that it will not shut off, no matter what I do. I have pushed the on-off button and the green backlight on the radio display continually stays on. This is draining the engine battery, even though I keep the vehicle plugged into 30 amp shore power. I have turned all 12 volt dc power off, yet the radio display remains lit.

Does anyone have an idea to shut the radio off which is not too costly.
I had the same problem my radio would not shut off. There is a switch on my dash for Aux and Main. I turned the switch to main and the radio went off.
winnieslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

On our rig, the radio power rocker switch is labeled Aux and Engine.

We were having the same problem with our OEM 1.5 din Magnadyne dash radio. Regardless of rocker switch position, the radio was always on, i.e. back light and a slight irritating hiss. Pushing the on/off button had no effect. That handy dandy green night light seemed to get brighter and brighter as the night wore on.

Didn't make sense. So I went to magnadyne.com, found a phone number and spoke to an actual live person. She confirmed that the radio should go on and off if you push the on/off button. The rocker switch simply selects the power source.

With no repair suggestions, we bought and installed a single din JVC KD-R792B1. Smaller, 1/4 the weight, more features (including hands-free), really cool blue back lights and less than $100. The best feature is that, regardless of rocker switch position, if you push the on/off button it turns on, or off.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Rakatansky, My previous MH was a 2008 Winni Destination. One thing I found out is if you leave the steps in the "ON" position when in storage the trickle charger cannot keep up with the continuous current drain. Call Winnebago and see if you model is affected the same way and is draining down the batteries. Lots of parasitic electrons when everything is shut of and the disconnect switches are still on.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, voyage, winnebago